No Soy Pollo Pero!!!!

chnlisle

Post Master
I’m starting to have second thoughts about our trip to the Laguna San Ignacio to see the whales. The twice yearly Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride was canceled because of the danger factor with no future rides scheduled. I just spoke to a friend that has stopped going to the bull fights for the same reason. He’s from Baja and has been going for years but he says it’s just too dangerous down there now.

Our state department has declared Nogales one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico. In Tucson we get news reports of daylight shootings in the streets there.

Several of my Mexican friends from LA Unified will no longer drive down there.

What are your thoughts?

Jay,
For me personally, I'm not overly concerned. There is a good chance I'll be headed that way sometime during Xmas/New Years. The violence is mostly in TJ/Rosarito/Ensenada and (for the most part) is between the bad guys, although a poor woman at the roadside restaurant La Mijtia in El Rosario was killed recently in the crossfire of a hit, very sad to see the violence actually reached that far.

During my recent September trip, I never felt a cause for concern but as always I strategically timed my border crossings. Again, this is just my personal outlook, as others have different life circumstances and therefore different levels of risk they are willing to accept.

Sunny I know 2 people that were killed last year. An ex co worker that was driving at night going south from Laredo. He made 2 mistakes driving at night and going through Laredo. The other was an American woman I knew from Bay of LA that owned a cafe. She was shot in the car in San Quintin in broad daylight. I have a buddy from Salinas He's working in San Quintin now and he thinks it may be the most dangerous city he's ever been to.

I have never felt threatened in Baja but when my Mexican friends wont go down there I have to give it a lot of thought.

Go around the problem.

I agree with Sunman, most of the problem is north of Ensenada. Last trip down we crossed the border at Tecate and drove down to Ensenada through the mountains. It is a much prettier, more relaxed drive with an unusual twist. A group of Russian immigrants settled in Valle Guadalupe around the early 1900's. The town's cemetery has some interesting tombstones with first and last names of mixed heritage - names like Maria Chekov.

Another option is to enter through Mexicali and drive down to Bahia Gonzaga, then cut over to Highway 1. Again, more scenic and interesting. The road is rough below San Felipe but passable in a 2WD.

So go ahead with the trip, just avoid the trouble areas. BTW, there are several good Baja forums you can probably get up to the minute reports from. Check out Bajanomad or the website for Vagabundos Del Mar.

Ted

Wow, I'm sorry to hear of that Jay, I had not heard of the San Quintin event and follow Baja Nomads fairly religiously.

With that being said I can certainly understand your train of thought. As i said, it all comes down to the risk one is willing to take.

For me, I cross first thing in the morning and and am long past San Quintin by 10a.m. and don't stop until El Rosario...that doesn't mean things still can't happen but with those measures of risk mitigation, the risk is worth it to me.

I've also been giving Ted's idea of crossing at Tecate a lot of thought lately.

I sure would love to see a posse of WtW'ers circle the wagons out at the lagoon someday...What a hoot that would be!

I sure would love to see a posse of WtW'ers circle the wagons out at the lagoon someday...What a hoot that would be!

I'm in! Can we go tomorrow! Just kidding but with a little planning this would make a great trip. I know when I was a kid we used to shop in Tecate & when I went down a couple years back we stocked up in Ensenada before heading south. I don't recall that many major markets south of Ensenada so if yoy don't stop until El Rosario do you just "catch as catch can" for groceries at the smaller villages.

Back on topic I do hope the current situation is temporary but I have to agree with SunMan - just be smart about where & when you go just like on this side of the border. After all, as a middle aged white male I'd probably be just as at risk by driving through Compton, CA at night. If the only reason I don't go to Baja is because of the bad guys then they win & I'm just stubborn enough to not put up with that. Do be safe & smart if you do go though - I love reading your posts!

Doug

The drive from Puertocitos through Gonzaga and out to Highway 1 added about 5 hours to my drive last year when we did it. So unless I have a burning desire to say hi to Coco I think I'll pass on that route.

The only real trouble I've had down there was 20 years going from Ensenada to Tecate. We were shot at by some guys in the back of a very slow pick up going the other way.

But still the reports are not good so I'll give it some more thought. Its a real shame. I've been going down there starting with my folks since the late 1940's. I hate taking Baja off my travel list. I guess the good news is I live in an area of fantastic camping possibilities and beauty.

Really sucks. Been on my to do list for a long time (pending finances and time). Hope I didnt wind up waiting too long.

interesting thread Jay..I miss Baja, it's been almost a year and a half for us. We have decided to give it a break as a family for a while. Mostly due to schedule/school/$ conflicts, but partly due to the recent reports of unrest (since the last Baja 1000).Turns out it may have been a good time to take a break

For a weeks trip, alot of the places that we thought were far enough south, or far enough off road to be safe, aren't really far enough now.That's speaking as a family.

Myself??If I had the time alone(with the dog of course) and the funds..I would gladly get lost in Northern Baja for week...preferably, I would gladly get lost in Baja Sur for a month.

Actually, if I a month and the funds, I would consider taking the Family to Baja Sur..Taking the kids to northern Baja for short trip just doesn't seem worth it anymore. To many cool things to show them on this side of the border for now..

Pobrecita la Baja....Que lastima

TT

It will have to wait...

Attachments

• DSCN1205.JPG
    DSCN1205.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 204
Back
Top Bottom