Non-slip bed liner under camper? Pluses/minuses/suggestions/costs

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member
Will be taking delivery of our new "Fleet" in December...was wondering if I should buy/install a non-slip bed liner in our 93 Nissan p/u bed to help arrest any slipping of the camper once installed... Love to hear pros/cons...and any cost effective suggestions about materials/cost/venders/ etc...

The local installer we will use said proper securing of the camper to the bed should not require using a bed liner... however, he said several folks have added a non-slip liner to their p/u bed prior to installation...

Thanks for your ideas, feedback, suggestions..

FWC recommends a rubber pad and/or spray in bed liner. We have both and have never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I'm using thin "Coin grip" rubber mat with GMC factory spray in bed liner.
My Hawk hasn't moved at all.

Be careful of the mat you choose. Some will hold h20 next to the FWC's base created big issues.

Attachments

• mat.jpg
    mat.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 76
Having a mat in front of, between and behind the two attachment rails in the truck bed does a few things: 1. It insulates the bottom of the camper some 2. It provides a non-slip surface for the camper to sit on which takes pressure off of the turnbuckles and camper attachment points 3. It spreads the support for the bottom of the camper over the whole bed instead of just two narrow rails. For these reasons it is well worth having. I had access to the right thickness horse stall mat for free so just cut it into the three pieces you need and it has worked great. Four Wheel also sells a similar mat already cut to size for the camper install.

I was amazed what a difference the mat makes. You'll find it is highly recommended. I bought a custom fit DeeZee Truck Accessories mat for my Dodge 2500. Free freight with Amazon Prime. Tractor Supply Co sells horse stall padding by the foot. Lots of people go this route.

I have a spray in liner with a 2015 Hawk (with the new base materials). It sticks like glue. Has not moved an inch even when I drive like a madman. Have a DeeZee mat to put under it next time I pull the camper - just for insurance.

longhorn1 said:
FWC recommends a rubber pad and/or spray in bed liner. We have both and have never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app
We have both as well and no issues to report, camper hasn't moved even after almost 6 months on the road in rough terrain.

www.mulehawk.com

Thanks for your suggestions... they "got me going on my research"...
Here is an update on my research for matting for my 59.5" x 73" Nissan bed: (posted websites for each product if interested)
(1) looked at the Dee Zee rubber, universal mat (4'x6') from Amazon @ $84 @ 22#s (free shipping);
https://www.amazon.com/DeeZee-85009-Mats-Bed-Universal/dp/B0045TU60G

(2) "straight cut mats"(rubber compound) 4' x 6' x 1/2" @ $44.01 @ 60#s (free shipping)...
http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/mats/straight-cut-mat.html

(3) 2'x2' x 1/2" Closed cell EVA foam rubber "soft tiles"(used for flooring) @ $5/tile x 7 tiles or $35 @ 6#s (free shipping)
http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/interlocking-tile/foam/58-diamond-soft-tile.html

Am going with the 2x2 tiles...can assemble them down the middle of the bed, trim around the wheel wells and add cut pieces up to the edges of the bed side wall... although "soft" foam, they are a "closed cell" construction (waterproof), should provide give and insulation under the camper bottom and, most critical for us is very light wt., @ only 6 lbs total...

Was looking for light weight, inexpensive option and hope this will work as a non-slip, insulating, economical solution...plan on keeping the camper on our p/u 99% of the time...so they should be rarely "disturbed"...

Bombsight said:
Anyone toy with the idea of spraying bed liner on the bottom of their FWC?

At one point FWC recommended against putting in any type of mat...instead Stan recommended a spray in liner...such as Rhino Liner..sole purpose was to increase friction between the bottom of the FWC and the truck bed..

The outer material on the exposed wood on our '16 Hawk is similar to the spray in bed liner in that it is, according to FWC, it is the same surface treatment used on boat docks..a waterproof sealing coat..so I can't see an advantage to spraying on Rhino Liner to the Hawk...

A mat will not take any load directly off of the turnbuckles..they will add some insulation and will trap moisture between the mat and truck bed...

Lots to consider...my Tundra had the thick, high friction sprayed on Rhino Liner [or was it LineX?] which includes the wheel wells and side walls...no movement of the Hawk, zero...truck bed is sealed against moisture and is very abrasion proof.

This topic has been covered many times before and it usually boils down to a personal preference...kinda like "Mary Ann or Ginger". :D

Phil

Back
Top Bottom