Noob question: best truck for a FWC Hawk?

Zosima

Looking at picking up a FWC Hawk, and hoping to get by with a full size (Tundra, silverado 1500, ram 1500). I've read a lot of the forum posts and know there are widely differing opinions on whether or not a 3/4 ton is required or merely nice to have. That having been said, it looks like the capabilities of the 1/2 ton trucks vary just as widely.

If you were going to put a Hawk on one of these trucks, which would you expect to handle it (and hold up over time) the best? It looks like the Silverado 1500 might have the edge on account of having a larger GVWR as well as a lower curb weight (thus more room to operate in terms of how much camper weight I can play with) than the Tundra. It looks to have reasonable gas mileage as well.

But, as someone who has never owned anything larger than a mid-size truck (also never owned a camper...) I can't help but wonder if there's something I'm not considering. What are your thoughts?

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 double cab 4x4. After purchase I went to a scale and had it weighed. With me in it, 230#'s, the truck weighed 5680#'s. The sticker in the glove box recommends a slide in camper weight of 1000#;s. I tend to think they are conservative with camper weight, as they have to consider center of gravity with hardside campers. A pop up wouldn't affect it as much. So guessing my truck is 5450# empty, add 1000# for a camper, that's 6450#, and my GVW is 7200#. You would have 750# for people and gear.

I started out with my Hawk on a F150, did OK, added Helwig Helper leaf Springs and I still didn't like the way it rode.

I was looking to upgrade and was going back and forth between the Ram 2500 with Hemi and the new Titan XD. The Titan was slick but didn't have the payload, I got it anyway. Love the truck and how it all looks and rides with my Hawk. However thinking about changing out for a larger hardside someday and if I do I will likely end up with the Ram. Don't really care for the looks of the Ram but if you look at an AEV conversion of one they look sweet. I feel Ram has the history of HD trucks.

Remember that the weight of any camper is largely dependent on what is inside! If your camper has all the bells and whistles you may want to look at a 3/4 ton.

trout

3/4 ton at least. You will thank me later. (I am moving up to a one tome with my new FWC Grandby.)

Back
Top Bottom