Nor Cold 300 3 way vs ARB 50qt

doinepicstuff

Advanced Member
Alright guys here's what is going through my head. I am going to full-time out of my hawk/Tundra combo for at least a year or so and want to swap my 3way fridge for a ARB 50qt. I am running 300w of solar on the roof/side of camper and know that this is more than enough to satisfy the ARB's draw. My original thought was to have enough battery/solar to run the 3 way on DC if I ran out of propane. However, those Nor Colds are DC hawgs. Please let me know if someone has experience with this. Also if I am crazy and overlooking some detail. OR if you are interested in my Nor Cold 300 (its listed under gear exchange). Thanks y'all! I am attempting to compile a list/pics of all my mods as well as a comparison of my 2002 tundra vs 2016 tundra but getting everything livable is first priority at the moment.

Have 80L Dometic compressor fridge, with duel batteries and 100W solar on roof and 80W plug in, and use a CPAP Machine at night on extended trips with daily driving to sightsee with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

The norcold 300's are a resistance type heater strip in the tube...much like the 120v side but no where near as efficient...the 12v side of this particular refer is for traveling and should be wired into a constantly charged battery. Once you get where you're going you switch to propane...or 120v.

They don't tell you that when they sell you one but the reality is...it would take a truckload of batteries to run this for an extended period. That being said...they are good refers...I've had one for 10 years and just bought another from Wills...for a 1973 Alaskan CO I'm refurbishing. If you're after an efficient 12v...look at one of the newer 12v compressor models...those small compressor models are great.

300 watts of Solar with a dual, deep cycle battery setup will handle any 12v compressor refer...and the rest as well

I have a 2004 Norcold 300 in my Six Pac T100S cabover camper. I have never operated it on 12 or 120 volt. I use it strictly on propane and I can an go 10+ days on propane, but the battery draws down to 10 volts in 3-4 days. The 2004 Norcold 300 has a standing pilot and seems to use a lot more of my battery than the 2008 Dometic fridge (which has the newer auto start no pilot system) in my Casita travel trailer. The Norcold 300 does make "ice cream cold temps" in the freezer( minus 10 Fahrenheit). I'm considering switching to a 12 volt compressor fridge in my next camper (2016 All Terrain Bobcat). For me the leveling issue for an absorption fridge is getting to be a real pain. I ran out of leveling blocks camping at Mount Shasta. The camper seemed fairly level and I was exhausted. The fridge quit working after a few hours and would not restart. I was afraid I had killed the fridge but the bumpy curvy road trip home helped save it from its heat stroke failure. Maybe I'm just getting too old and lazy but the 12 volt compressor fridge is looking very good. Everyone's 2 cents is appreciated!
Solinski

I have the old Dometic 3way. my experience is as mentioned, it runs a long time on a 20lb bottle and running it on 12 volt other than when driving will suck up all the juice quick. That said, when it dies I'm looking at the 12 volt DC compressor fridges. All the ARB fridges I'm familiar with are chest types. If your plan is full timing, have you considered a built in 12 volt in place of your 3 way? Seems to me trying to maximize floor space would get important somewhere down the line.

Good luck with your pending full time adventure!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

For the last couple of months I've had my Truckfridge TF51 running full time. I've been pretty happy with it and they are much cheaper than the ARB's. On the max setting it draws around 5 amps when running. I only use that to cool it down when it's been off. The ECO setting draws 2.5 amps and it runs fine and stays cold. 160 watts of solar and an industrial 110 ah deep cycle and I've had no issues staying charged. Truckfridge also sells some built in models as well.

I haven't even hooked up the truck charging wiring yet as it hasn't been needed.

Back
Top Bottom