Norcold Refrigerator

cousinjc

Can anyone tell me why my Norcold model N300 refrigerator will not get cold. The unit is 6 yrs old and used very little. The propane will light and there is power to the outlet and the fuse in the panel box appears fine but the unit will not get cold in propane mode or electric mode. Help....

I know this may sound weird but IF the burner is working (or the electric element) and IF the sealed system hasn't developed a leak (no icepick holes from defrosting the freezer, ouch.)Then try "Burping" the unit. Remove the refrig and turn it upside down for a day or two, then try it again. I've seen it work. Good luck!

I had this same problem with a Dometic 3 way fridge. Once or even twice a year the frezzer would work fine but the fridge wouldn't cool at all in any mode. I was told by an RV dealer out here to unhook the fridge and turn it upside down over night. The next morning reinstalled it and it worked fine for another 3-4 weeks. I have offically given up on 3 ways and gave gone to the Engle 12 volt fridge/ freezer. rsz_p5020073.jpg

I recently had blow back problems where the propane would light near the air holes by the entry point the propane enters. The slits where the flame lights had carbon build up causing the propane to back up and light up in the wrong place. The flame was still lit at the tip. I removed the tube cleaned out the carbon in the slots and BAM the fridge works great 35 degrees. The in camper temp 101. Hope this helps but an Engle is worth the money I have one too.

I gave up on the 3-way also. Thought about using an Engle, already have one, but didn't seem to fit well. Went with a Nova Cool and other half is really happy with it, so am I.

I gave up on the 3-way also. Thought about using an Engle, already have one, but didn't seem to fit well. Went with a Nova Cool and other half is really happy with it, so am I.

Kilroy,
Was the Nova Kool a direct swap into the Norcold space? Whats the amp draw?

cousinjc, part of the problem with the fridge was likely the "not used much". Ideally when in storage the fridge should be started up and run for 24 hrs. once per month.

Do you have the truck & camper "Level" ?

If you are parked on a slope or the refrigerator is not level, it might be running, but it won't cool.

We have had the same question asked many times over the years from customers, and when we asked them where they were testing it, they usually said their sloped driveway.

It is also a good idea to put something like a bottled water in the refrigerator when cooling it. The water bottle will get cold and feel cold if the refrigerator is working.

Sometimes when you open an empty refrigerator it won't feel cool to the touch because of the plastic. Having something inside seems to help with the "touch test".

Just a thought of other things to try.

I fought with three way fridges for years and finally gave up. If it's not level, parked in the sun, in a bad mood you will have issues. I had a Nova Kool installed in my Alaskan and have bee very happy. For longer trips we have an Engel 45 to use as a deep freeze. Before you spend much money on your three way fridge consider the alternatives out there.

r5810-a.jpg

DSC01852.jpg

The upside down procedure does work, but it's a pain. If it does not work for you, be sure the wire to the control unit is making a solid connection. Still not happy - Nova Kool R4500 is a perfect fit.

as stated...level is an issue...venting is also an issue and with limited space, venting becomes the primary problem. When you depend on "cooling" of the refrigerant to give you the absorption affect, removal of the hot air from the upper cooling fins is imperative. I just posted photos of my install including the copper heat sync and the cooling fans on the venting thread....no problems yet.....several trips and lots of cooling cycles.

One other thing...gas refrigerators or any kind of absorption refrigerator takes quite a while to cool off itself, let alone cool anything else (at least 24 hours or more). Its a good idea to put "cold things" in the frig if you can....if not, at least have a 1/2 gal milk container frozen to aid the cooling process when your getting it started.

The gas will have optimum working at 3-5 degrees off level and the 120v function 15-18 degrees off level. This allows the hot fumes to rise unobstructed through the tubing coils.

The 12 volt function in a 3-way is primarily for traveling from one place to another and not designed to be the primary cooling function....it sucks juice so be prepared to keep the battery recharging constantly....if you don't, you'll lose the battery in a heartbeat. With a 2-way you can install an inverter in the truck and run the frig on 120v while traveling....works well but don't try and use an inverter through your cig lighter....alot of juice is running through those wires and the 12v cig wires aren't sized for a draw like the frig.....they'll fry

Back
Top Bottom