Northern California Coast - September 2017

Thanks for sharing! I've stayed at Salt Point, you reminded me that I need to go back and visit that area.

Been there too and a nice warm up as you head north and get closer to Point Arena, Elk and points north of Fort Bragg and my country (wish I was there-can't go until October this year). Have fun!

Smoke

I just love learning about all the cool places I have yet to see :)

Loved the video. Very relaxing :)

Nice write up Ski.
The N Coast is always stunning. In my younger days when I worked for State Parks I lived in Cleone which is one town up from Ft Bragg. Was there this past July visiting fiends in Mendocino on my annual pilgrimage.

Bodega Dunes is one of our favorites. Takes me about 90minutes to get there on Friday with a 2pm start. There is a horse Ranch just across from the Bodega SP driveway that has primitive camp sites if Bodega is full, nice to have as a back up. The $35 a night is steep but that place fills up fast.

You didn't see anyone carrying a golf club up on Lassen Peak did you? I once saw a guy hit a ball off the mountain. The lady ranger nearby was not amused!

Cayuse said:
Thanks for sharing! I've stayed at Salt Point, you reminded me that I need to go back and visit that area.
Cayuse, it is a great place. We look forward to exploring more in depth in the future. We hope you make it to the coast soon!

Smokecreek1 said:
Been there too and a nice warm up as you head north and get closer to Point Arena, Elk and points north of Fort Bragg and my country (wish I was there-can't go until October this year). Have fun!

Smoke
Smoke, we thought of you as we passed Westport, even took a look for your rig or one of Bob's tennis balls! Enjoy your trip in October!

Happyjax said:
I just love learning about all the cool places I have yet to see :)

Loved the video. Very relaxing :)
Glad to help with the relaxation. There is nothing like the sound of the ocean!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Great trip thanks.
Frank
Frank, thanks always for your kind comments!

craig333 said:
Been thinking its about time for a coast trip. Don't forget the bacon in Fort Bragg!
bacon? What's bacon? :) Go to the coast Craig!

marc said:
Nice write up Ski.
The N Coast is always stunning. In my younger days when I worked for State Parks I lived in Cleone which is one town up from Ft Bragg. Was there this past July visiting fiends in Mendocino on my annual pilgrimage.
Thanks Marc! I'm curious if we could have some mutual friends that worked for state parks on the north coast years back.

CALIcamperdad said:
Bodega Dunes is one of our favorites. Takes me about 90minutes to get there on Friday with a 2pm start. There is a horse Ranch just across from the Bodega SP driveway that has primitive camp sites if Bodega is full, nice to have as a back up. The $35 a night is steep but that place fills up fast.
camperdad, thanks for the tip! I believe I spotted the area on Google Earth. :)

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Great trip report Ski. Thank you for taking us along.
Thanks! You are most welcome. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Ski.Great trip.Hope to get some kind of trip in when we get home.
Frank
Frank, you are on one heck of a trip now! Enjoy Spain! :)

craig333 said:
You didn't see anyone carrying a golf club up on Lassen Peak did you? I once saw a guy hit a ball off the mountain. The lady ranger nearby was not amused!
I would not be amused either.

I enjoyed your report- brought back memories of our trip up the coast a few years ago. We haven't been to Lassen yet- it's on the list. Midweek camping is one of the great joys of retirement!

Great read. We love Mendo and have stayed there a number of times, but not recently. Thanks for the reminder, and $45/night? ouch
McK and Van Damme have been favorites in past years as well. Albion is worth a visit, but mostly for upriver kayaking.

Ski/Julie,

Another wonderful report. We finally got home from Colorado and I have been waiting to read your report on the computer, not my cell phone. The wait was well worth it, looking at pictures and videos full screen makes all the difference, beside these old gezzer eyes have a fit reading blog posts on the phone. Bodega Bay was a fun stop for us in 2007 as we explored wine country. I hope to have our trip report up this week. jd

Back
Top Bottom