Northern Nevada/Highway 50 - JUNE

SLEDAWG

I've been itching to get away from SOCAL for the past couple of months. My initial plan was head towards the Eastern Sierras and the wife wanted to visit the Tahoe area. After reading a couple of blogs and since school just got out I decided to revisit the Great Basin region of Nevada and avoid the "masses" in the Sierras. The weather happened to be mild with a low pressure just north of Nevada.

Kane Springs Road off of NV 93 was a great start to wide open spaces and not many people.
kane 1.jpgkane 2.JPGkane 4.jpg

Lots of side roads with springs and campsites. The north end of Kane Valley ends up in a former settlement of Elgin. www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/elgin.html
The Elgin Schoolhouse ( http://parks.nv.gov/parks/elgin-schoolhouse) is worth a stop.
elgin2.jpgElgin.jpg

More to follow

Highway 317 heads up north through a picturesque canyon alongside the Union Pacific Railroad tracks. We stopped next to a railroad bridge built in 1901 still in use for lunch.

Rainbow.jpg
full

Turkey was not on the menu but we still enjoyed one wandering through.
Turkey.jpg
More to follow

Yep, some fine spots ya hit there 'dawg. We'll be passing through all of NV in Sept. in similar fashion and can only hope to catch a few sites as great as the ones you visited. Thanks for the eye candy.
Rico.

Interesting post and thanks for doing it.

Maybe when you fix the photo rotation you could enlarge the photos. Even clicking on them produces a small photo. They look like they would be worth seeing bigger.

Kershaw Ryan State Park is a wonderful oasis rich with history just south of the town of Caliente.http://parks.nv.gov/parks/kershaw-ryan

Kershaw.jpg
full

Caliente followed up by the Pioche were next on the agenda for exploring.

Caliente.jpg

Pioche.jpg

full

full

full

Boot Hill Cemetery was next to the old ore tramway and some amusing grave markers.

"Shot by a coward as he worked his claim. No one knew his name"

My favorite
"1844 -1873 Morgan Courtney
Feared by some
Revered by few
Detested by others
Shot in the back 5 times from ambush"

We continued north toward Highway 6 looking for altitude to camp. The Scheel Creek Range near Connors Pass south of Ely at 7500ft was perfect, Nice cool 42 degree low for sleeping!
Connor's Pass.jpg

More to follow

On to Ely with the goal of checking out of the Northern Nevada Railroad. Well worth the visit. The history and way of life in the 1800's amazes me.

full

full

full

"Dirt"the cat who lives in the roundhouse.

Downtown Ely is a good pit stop to check out the old hotel, city pond and park.
Ely.jpgEly3.jpg

full

After a failed attempt to find my fortune mining garnets on BLM land west of Ely we headed west and camped in the White Pine Range just north of the ghost town of Hamilton. Hamilton had a few remnants of their hey day which I failed to take pictures.

Garnet.jpgCamp.jpg

More to follow.....I gave up on trying to rotate pictures and saved the vertical pics the in my media folder.

We needed some gas before heading on our next leg so we stopped in Eureka. Highly recommend touring the courthouse, opera house and old newspaper building, now museum.Great town with friendly folks.
Eureka 2.jpg
Eureka 5.jpgEureka 4.jpg

full

full

full

full

Nevada traffic jam
Traffic.jpg
full

full

More to follow

My next goal was to head south toward Lunar Crater Byway. A pitstop for lunch and swim was on the agenda as well. Several other posts have not included the location of hot springs...so I won't name this one but it is easy to find.

IMG_1369.jpgIMG_1370.jpg

Lunar Crater Byway
IMG_1397.jpgIMG_1405.jpgIMG_1406.jpg

Great trip, good solitude, interesting history and small towns. I'm a big fan of Highway 50 and Northern Nevada.

Hope everyone was able to see better quality pics.

The Eureka Opera House is a great place to catch a cultural event. Here's the 2018 calendar -

Eureka Opera House

The last show we attended at the Opera House was the Irish Scot duo -

Men of Worth

Lots of familiar and fun Nevada sights in your trip story. Thanks for sharing! :)

Back
Top Bottom