Northern New Mexico featuring the Carson NF - Part 2

Bosque Bill

Here's part 2, as promised. More photos of beautiful scenery and narrow gauge railroad stuff, but no bugs.

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2013/09/northern-new-mexico-featuring-carson_14.html

p.s., It continues to rain in New Mexico with flooding and washed out roads. Not as severe as in Boulder, Colorado, but pretty bad for those folks losing their homes. Arroyos are overflowing and some desert "rivers" that haven't seen water in many years are full bank to bank.

I don't think there's any danger to me here next to the Rio Grande, although it 5 feet above normal... at least that is my hope. But two of the three leaks in my roof that I thought I'd patched last month leaked again, dang nab it!

Bill, Your photo up the Conejos river valley sure brought back great memories. Yes, you need to go back and explore up that road, and it would not hurt to have one or two weeks to do it. About 10 years ago we drove from South Fork through Platoro to the spot from which that picture was taken. Long before we got there we both agreed that we had seen far too much scenery for one day. It was on that trip that I invented the popup camper. I had never seen one, but I knew I had to get back to that country with a 4x4 pickup and some way to sleep in it while carrying a month’s supply of bacon, beer, trail bars, etc.. I had most of the details of the design figured out when I realized I had better check the internet to see if such a thing already existed. First I found the Alaskan (very close to my design) and then a bit later FWC, a design much closer to my needs and what we now have. Without that drive I am not sure I would ever have realized I needed a popup or done the searching to find one. Thanks for taking me back there! Now I just need to get back again but without the armchair.

Bill,thanks for taking us along on a fantastic trip.The scenery with all the vistas,great.Most of all on this part of the trip was your stop in Chama.
We were there in 81 to ride the rails.Camped just outside the rail yard,as I remember next to the Chama River. Late afternoon when the train was once again back to it's"house" we walked around the yard among all the rolling stock,some of which was used in many movies over the years.That snowplow was actually still in use at the time we were there.In the spring they would make a fan trip to plow the line though.That would be quit a ride.
When we came into the engine house,Ruben Salazar the night watchman was working on the locomotive,oiling,keeping the fire dampened,and just general wiping down.These things burn coal,huge chunks of it.I watched the fireman shovel in the coal on the Drango Silverton route.Sure wouldn't want that job,but it was only hard work one way.The return trip is down hill.
He had our girls up into the cab of the engine and gave us the full history of it and all the workings.Such a great time.
I strongly suggest for anyone traveling in that area to give the ride a try.Or at least watch those locomotives as they "clank" along ,it's quit a sight.
The loop track at the Los Pinos River is a great view to see.
This train ride is very different than the Drango&Silverton,which is a great ride also.The climb up Toltec pass at 10.000+ feet is something for these locos.They double head them for that part of the ride.At least they did on our ride.
Bill your trip has brought back loads of memories.
Thanks again for sharing.
Frank

Another fine report Bill. Been enjoying your posts and looking forward to seeing some of the areas you've covered in your reports. I'm headed out tomorrow for a Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico borders road trip.

Hittheroad said:
Bill, Your photo up the Conejos river valley sure brought back great memories.
Glad to have given you a good remembrance and I enjoyed your comment, too. Yes, there is a whole lot of territory up there that I've never explored... well that's what I got the camper for after all!

I "invented" sunscreen lotion with bug repellant in it over 20 years ago when touring down the West Coast on my bicycle. My friends thought it was a dumb idea. I listened to them and now I'm not a rich man :D

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Bill,thanks for taking us along on a fantastic trip.The scenery with all the vistas,great.Most of all on this part of the trip was your stop in Chama.
Frank, glad you enjoyed the train photos and thanks for your interesting comment on your experience with the trains.

soughdough said:
Another fine report Bill. Been enjoying your posts and looking forward to seeing some of the areas you've covered in your reports. I'm headed out tomorrow for a Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico borders road trip.
Thanks for commenting. Hope you have a great trip.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Many areas in Colorado and New Mexico have been hit hard by rain and flooding this week. The rain was of a magnitude not seen in memory. A number of major highways, minor byways and camping areas are closed at this time and some may remain closed for the season, I'm thinking. It is still too soon for a full survey of the damage so some areas are simply closed as a precaution.

Be sure to check with state highway departments and district ranger stations for closures before and during the course of your trip!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
If you have more photos from the Chama and would like to share,I would like to see them.
Thanks for your request, Frank. I did have several more photos - not all are gems :p There's a close-up of the business end of that giant snow blower you might enjoy, a few more cars and misc.

I've placed them all in one of my Google+ photo albums. Let me know if you have difficulty with the link.

Bosque Bill said:
Thanks for your request, Frank. I did have several more photos - not all are gems :p There's a close-up of the business end of that giant snow blower you might enjoy, a few more cars and misc.

I've placed them all in one of my Google+ photo albums. Let me know if you have difficulty with the link.
Bill thank you so much.Great shots.
I think it's so interesting that's just how I remember the "yard" from years ago.
The fact that the two states CO/NM have preserved /saved all the rolling stock is wonderful.
Thanks,Frank

Bosque Bill said:
Thanks for commenting. Hope you have a great trip.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Many areas in Colorado and New Mexico have been hit hard by rain and flooding this week. The rain was of a magnitude not seen in memory. A number of major highways, minor byways and camping areas are closed at this time and some may remain closed for the season, I'm thinking. It is still too soon for a full survey of the damage so some areas are simply closed as a precaution.

Be sure to check with state highway departments and district ranger stations for closures before and during the course of your trip!
Thanks for the heads up. Checked the three states for road closures and I'm good as far as hiways. Just have to wing it on FSR's.

The FS Ranger District offices should be able to help you out, soughdough (as Bill mentioned). On a related note, watch out for flash floods. The ground is saturated, so if a thunderstorm pops up, flooding will occur quickly. That's happening in my neighborhood right now. Glad my home isn't down by the arroyo...

It's been two years since I was up at the Rio de los Pinos. I really enjoyed your pics of the area. They make me want to go back there soon. The Cumbres and Toltec used to drop hikers and anglers off near the gorge and pick them up again on a later run. Do they still do that?

Back
Top Bottom