Not much of a trip

craig333

Riley's Human
I've been working 6 days a week since my last trip to OR and NV. Finally had two days off. I considered grabbing the kayak but I figured all the lakes would be zoos. Instead I just wanted to see some trees and smell clean air. Headed up to the Eldo looking for my favorite spot off a dead end road. The trailer spot was taken but I wanted further in. Luckily a tree was down across the road. That meant no one at my spot and I'd anticipated this bringing along the chainsaw (chaps too) and ready to use the winch. Didn't need the saw, the old tree was so rotten as soon as I started tugging on it it split into four manageable pieces. Theres still a few patches of snow and the road was just dry enough to drive on. Normally I don't even think about trying this area, most years theres too much snow to even reach the MET.

Now normally I wouldn't bother with a trip report for something like this. However I was sitting in my chair in the evening enjoying a rib eye when I see a bear mosey across the road not a hundred yards from me. I don't think it ever saw me. It came out of this brushy area.

Of course by the time I put my food down and grabbed the camera it was gone.

What makes this interesting is in the thirty odd years I've been coming to this area (for twenty of those we used to do a memorial weekend work trip about seven miles down the silver fork road) and I've had my Jeep on almost every road in the area, this is only the second bear I've seen in the area. I slept good and left early before the forecast storm came in and turned barely dry roads into a muddy mess.

I've been working 6 days a week since my last trip to OR and NV. Finally had two days off. I considered grabbing the kayak but I figured all the lakes would be zoos. Instead I just wanted to see some trees and smell clean air. Headed up to the Eldo looking for my favorite spot off a dead end road. The trailer spot was taken but I wanted further in. Luckily a tree was down across the road. That meant no one at my spot and I'd anticipated this bringing along the chainsaw (chaps too) and ready to use the winch. Didn't need the saw, the old tree was so rotten as soon as I started tugging on it it split into four manageable pieces. Theres still a few patches of snow and the road was just dry enough to drive on. Normally I don't even think about trying this area, most years theres too much snow to even reach the MET.

Now normally I wouldn't bother with a trip report for something like this. However I was sitting in my chair in the evening enjoying a rib eye when I see a bear mosey across the road not a hundred yards from me. I don't think it ever saw me. It came out of this brushy area.

Of course by the time I put my food down and grabbed the camera it was gone.

What makes this interesting is in the thirty odd years I've been coming to this area (for twenty of those we used to do a memorial weekend work trip about seven miles down the silver fork road) and I've had my Jeep on almost every road in the area, this is only the second bear I've seen in the area. I slept good and left early before the forecast storm came in and turned barely dry roads into a muddy mess.

Thanks,you should have photo shopped a bear in.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom