Not What I Had In Mind When I Started Taking Bass Lessons

I had no idea bass players were the butt of so many jokes. No wonder all my friends played lead guitar :)

I know very little about bass (I think I caught a couple in Clear Lake and Shasta Lake when I was a kid...),
but when I heard Stanley Clarke playing with Return to Forever on "Romantic Warrior"...WOW! Virtuoso bass playing.
Shows that playing bass doesn't have to be a loser occupation... ;)

Here's a video of RTF performing on stage Clarke's composition from Romantic Warrior. Crappy audio, but good close-ups of Clarke's technique.

("Romantic Warrior": that album -- first on 12" vinyl, then CD, now on my iPod -- still thrills me when I listen to it. Amazing)

MarkBC said:
I know very little about bass (I think I caught a couple in Clear Lake and Shasta Lake when I was a kid...),
but when I heard Stanley Clarke playing with Return to Forever on "Romantic Warrior"...WOW! Virtuoso bass playing.
Shows that playing bass doesn't have to be a loser occupation... ;)

Here's a video of RTF performing on stage Clarke's composition from Romantic Warrior. Crappy audio, but good close-ups of Clarke's technique.

("Romantic Warrior": that album -- first on 12" vinyl, then CD, now on my iPod -- still thrills me when I listen to it. Amazing)
Yeah I taught him that.

A guy was having a lesson with a bass instructor. She told him that most guys play bass with a pick - she reckoned that this was because they learn the wrist action naturally during adolescence. He noticed that she played finger style. He asked "Did you learn that finger action during adolescence?" She nodded sheepishly.

craig333 said:
I had no idea bass players were the butt of so many jokes. No wonder all my friends played lead guitar :)
Craig, you can substitute most any instrument into these jokes. It is my suspicion that this whole trend began with the accordion although most musicians associated with larger bands claim it is the drums.

I really thought it was the viola. But a curious thing. MIT has a whole site of musician jokes, from conductors to singers to bass palayers, but nothing about bagpipes...One can conjecture.

ski3pin said:
Craig, you can substitute most any instrument into these jokes. It is my suspicion that this whole trend began with the accordion although most musicians associated with larger bands claim it is the drums.
Never mind too easy.

My neighbor knocked on my door at 2:30 AM the other night. Can you believe it? 2:30AM!!

Luckily I was still up, playing the bagpipes.

ntsqd said:
My neighbor knocked on my door at 2:30 AM the other night. Can you believe it? 2:30AM!!

Luckily I was still up, playing the bagpipes.
Now that's funny! I heard the first time as "playing the banjo."

Back
Top Bottom