NW California Rivers trip

craig333

Riley's Human
Heading up to see my sister in Arcata for Christmas. Aftewards I plan on heading over towards the salmon river. I'm following a route planned out by a geologist friend who has passed away prematurely. Unfortunately I only remember the first portion of the trip. Will be taking highway 299 to 96 and up to Somes Bar. There I'll hang a right (my map doesnt even show a road name or number) and head up the north fork of the salmon past sawyers bar and up to Etna. Its there I don't remember where the rest of the route was supposed to go. Anyone familiar with that area have any ideas for the rest of the trip?

Hey Craig thats my neck of the woods. We will be here in McKinleyville (right next door to Arcata) for Christmas so we should get together and have a beer. The trip up the Salmon will be real nice assuming we don't get a really low snow. There are lots of side trips to do up there and lots to explore.

If I could make a few recommendations....Take 299 to Redwood Valley Rd (Bair Rd) and follow down into Redwood Cr. Once on the valley floor look for the intersection of Bair Rd and Stover Rd. Bair Rd takes a right and turns into dirt. This road travels through some beautiful country that only the locals really see (Miner Cr and Supply Cr). Right now the road is passable but snow will close it eventually. The road eventually lands you on the Hoopa Reservation (Hwy 96) and the Trinity River. Continuing up 96 you have a few options for exploration (Bluff Creek for example) before you hit Somes Bar. In Somes Bar you will take a right on Salmon River Rd (93) which goes up the mainstem of the Cal Salmon. There is a lot of good geology here and I would highly recommend a hike up Wooley Cr and taking time to check out the Class V rapids on the Salmon. There are numerous campgrounds as you go up the Salmon as well as roads that you can explore to get to more primitive spots. Once you hit Forks of the Salmon you can either go up the NF or the SF of the Salmon. I know you said you were going to go up the NF but I would suggest going up the SF (still the 93) toward Callahan. Again there are campgrounds up the SF and places to explore. Once you hit Callahan you can hook up with Hwy 3 and either go back to Interstate 5 or take Hwy3 over Scott Mountain summit and down the upper Trinity River. There are plenty of places to camp going down Hwy 3 and its a gorgeous drive. Hwy 3 will eventually land you in Weaverville back on the 299, which you can take east to Hwy 5 or west back to the coast. I have done this loop more times than I can count and never get sick of it. You will be traveling in some pretty remote country and will likely be by yourself most of the time.

A lot of this trip is snow dependent but I have done it this time of year and had no problems (though I have had to chain up in 4-wheel drive). All of the roads up the Salmon and down the Trinity are plowed on occasion and locals use them to commute so they usually don't close for more than a day or so.

I was just talking to the boss (wife) and she said that she would not mind me taking off for a few day....I would have to check my work schedule but I don't think it would be a problem. I wouldn't mind joining you if you feel like having a another rig along.

If you want to chat or want more details feel free to drop me a PM and we can exchange numbers.

Cort

Definitely a must-visit area of CA. I spent some time (not as much as I'd like) rafting up there on the Klamath and Methodist Cr and Nordheimer stretches up near Forks of Salmon a few years ago. There's a decent CG called Oak Bottom near Somes Bar that makes a fair base camp. Take the road up to Cecilville and out to hwy 3 if you have time. This is definitely less-traveled, pristine country. Bring plenty of gas. Fillups are few and far between and EXPENSIVE out there.

Excellent suggestions. I'm not wedded to the north fork. My sister is actually in McKinleyville. Overlooking the ocean and the mad river. Should be heading out late monday morning. So far at least it doesn't look like snow will be a problem. I'll be prepared though.

Is that bigfoot country? I'd love to bag me a bigfoot if they're in season (camera only :)

Is that bigfoot country? I'd love to bag me a bigfoot if they're in season (camera only :)

Yep, it seems that wherever you find hill-folk, you'll find bigfoot...not saying there's any connection.
blink.gif

well I have a big foot...but it always stays attached to my body.....

"Hill-Folk"....only city slickers talk like that...No wonder you got stuck in that little crossing :unsure:

Just teasing you. Yes it is bigfoot country; I work in the woods for a living and have never seen the Sasquatch but I do know a guy who showed up at our work camp one night who had pissed his pants and left about $10,000 worth of equipment at the site cause he was so scared....good story, but I personally think it was some "hill-folk" who scared him.

Cort

Yeah...
biggrin.gif

On an episode of The Simpsons it was said, "Hillbillies prefer to be called, 'sons of the soil'".
So, you're right, I should have said, "Wherever you find sons of the soil, you'll find Bigfoot".
laugh.gif

(I love The Simpsons.)

Craig,

I forgot to mention earlier that all of the campgrounds on the Salmon are seasonal...so they will likely be locked up....sometimes the gates are open sometimes they aren't...depends on whos in charge this year and to be honest I don't know who is doing the rounds so I can't tell you what to expect. I can tell you that there are numerous primitive sites. One that comes to mind is right across the road from Nordeimer Cr campground. Lots of other options up the numerous roads that litter the Salmon....none are predictable however.

Cort

Thats whats great about our campers. Any wide spot will do. Wonder what route Ted is taking.

Back
Top Bottom