Oct 21 - 24 Group Utah Campering Gathering

GroovyDad said:
I've been considering a dual-sport for a while now, but I have a big yellow lab that I'm not going to leave behind when I get out camping. I know your dog is small, but what do you do with him when you venture out of camp on your bike? Do you tuck him in your jacket? I can't leave my buddy behind, so I may just have to wait for the inevitable to happen before I can buy a bike.
I actually have two dogs now! My sweet Pugsly, and a heeler x named Argos.
I haven't yet ventured out from camp on the bike - because of the dogs. And until I have a dog-sitter or a group where someone stays to hang out at camp, I won't.

I did leave Argos at a friend's house for my Overland Expo trip and just took Pugsly because I knew she'd be content to just sleep most of the time.

For a while, I had a Ural + Sidecar and took the pug around in that! She loved it! :)

IMAG5440.jpg

Okay, I scouted out the Cottonwood Canyon location and it's not conducive for a group.

I'm going to check out a location nearish Bluff, UT along the San Juan River.

Stalking Light said:
There are a few fairly large sites in Valley of the Gods as well.
I love VotG!
I wondered about that as a possible location. Cayuse and I were bouncing around that as an idea.
I've only gone in from the 261 near Moki Dugway and had to cross a couple of washes. It was stormy and I was worried about floods, so ended up campering up at Muley Point. But I'd love to camp down there!

I'd like to go in via 163 and see how it is.

Where are the sites you know?

I'm not sure I can give good directions but I ran into Mario from Adventure Trailers coming out with a big group after Expo and he said they camped where the old oil derrick used to be. I'm going to be at AT a week from Wednesday to add a snorkel and another 100w panel and will probably head through there on my way north after that and will keep my eyes open.

VotG Road. This looks like a possibility

37.26412246946731,-109.81179436203092

and holy cow! I just looked close-up of the map - there are a bunch of areas for campering along there and no washes to cross - except right off the 163....

Is there a bridge just off the 163?

VotG%2BRoad%2Bbridge.JPG

Stalking Light said:
<snip> I'm going to be at AT a week from Wednesday to add a snorkel and another 100w panel and will probably head through there on my way north after that and will keep my eyes open.
1) Are you sticking around at all? I work 8-5, but could meet up after!

2) Scouting yay!

I'll get in Tuesday afternoon/evening and probably just camp in their parking lot. Not sure about Wednesday, though; depends on when they get done. Maybe we could meet for a burger or something Tuesday?

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:1056]
full

full

full

Forgive me, I'm not sure how to do this, add photos, but here goes.
We will be in Colorado and Arizona during Sept and Oct. and may be able to rethink our route through the SW. Thats a great area Bluff and along the San Juan River. We did take that route in 2014 and had problems on the west side off route 261 crossing some washes. Climbing up the bank out of one wash had us sweating (no 4 wheel drive on my Ranger). Recommend staying on the east side entering off rt 162 from Bluff. 1st photo a bus was camped there, nice big area right of road. 2nd photo a few miles west was a parking lot area a bit off the main road. Would not take a trailer any further. overlooks a shallow canyon. And then about half way overlooking a deep valley and start of a steep descend to the west side with several washes. Side road to camp area where I saw a tent. Could stop on side road, but would be spread out. Not sure what the tent area is like, how big that was. Just some areas I saw. Might see ya.
ps photo viewed opposite from what I wrote.

Hi mikedunn!

Nice pics! That's y'alls bus?!? Fun!

Yeah, I've gone in the 261 side and there are a couple of washes that aren't good in wet weather. It looks like coming in from Bluff-side, there is one wash right near the 163, but otherwise decently un-wash-having for quite a while.

Bad Habit said:
This is a nice area for a larger group. In the little ravine, it forms almost a micro-amphitheater where somebody had built a fire ring. We hadn't found it till we were packing up to leave which disappointed me. Would have been a real nice way to enjoy a campfire in a unique place.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3114695,-109.8420764,165m/data=!3m1!1e3

So many great places there, great area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrbadhabit/albums/72157650584253661
VotG is one of my current favorite places!
That's near one of the spots I was going to scout 37.316526,-109.850405
Yay! That looks nice! I'll check it out too!

Bosque Bill said:
Are there any hiking opportunities - other than just wandering the west?
With a bit of a drive up the Moki Dugway there would be some outstanding hiking.

Back
Top Bottom