Odd electrical mystery solved

alano

Took a 3 week trip to the Sierras and the Rockies (trip report will take some time). Fourth night out we stopped at Aspen Grove CG just east of the Tioga Pass. I noticed the fridge items were all wet. Seems the ice had melted. The button revealed only 1 LED lit for the batteries. We had just driven from King's Canyon through Yosemite to our location so how come no charging?

Sat for a bit and thought about things. The charge to the camper comes from the truck battery so start there. Aha! the white (+) wire had pulled free from the ring lug. Maybe the crimping was substandard. How long had this been so? Not on our first trip as things worked perfectly. Maybe before one of our several weekend trips since I always plugged the camper in to chill the fridge for a while before the trip. Wait, the truck got a new battery - technician probably pulled it off during the switch.

Oh well, removed the ring lug and opened crimp and recrimped it on the wire. Problem solved. Drove to Lake Tahoe next day but batteries didn't recover well. Wire still connected but I knew about problems with charging low camper batteries so we found a private cg with hookups the next night to give them a good long charge overnight. Back in business.

I checked the wire periodically and one evening it has come free again. What the...? Finally figured it out checking the oil level at gas station in Yellowstone. The hinge and spring assembly for raising the hood catches the wire sometimes as the hood is closed and pulls it out of the the ring lug. Solution: never open the hood.

Alan

Wow, I was guessing that an inline fuse had blown and wouldn't let the battery recharge OR if you have a battery separator like mine, once the battery is discharged below a certain point, it won't charge.

Glad you got it figured out and fixed. How come these problems don't present themselves before we get to the boonies? I like your solution, NEVER open the hood. Unless I'm getting too personal may I suggest you also fire your technician. :)

Those little things can drive you nuts. Especially when you out and about and need what is going wrong.
Glad you were able to catch the problem.Had you not seen the hood hinge catching the wire it would have driven you nuts for a long time.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom