Off road camping near Bodie.

telebrewer

Advanced Member
I'm heading home from the PNW through the Eastern Sierras and want to show my family Bodie. Is there anywhere out there to camp away from people? Thanks.

If you don't want to stay in the many campgrounds on the small lakes in the Sierra east of 395 between Lee Vining and Bridgeport, you might look on Forest Service land along highway 120 south of Mono Lake. There are old roads to the south shore of the lake and there are also roads on the east side of Mono Craters south of highway. I've often found wide spots in roads and set up a dry-camp in the ponderosa forests. The "roads" near the lake may need 4x4 because of deep sand.

There is a backway into Bodie from the south on a dirt road from highway 167 from the north side of Mono Lake that has been in good shape over the years. You might look along that road for a place to pull off but I've never actually camped there.

Also, there is a dirt road from Virginia Lakes north toward Green Creek along which I've found spots to set up camp. Depending, you may want 4x4 along here.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom