off roading w/ alaskan

jwd

Hi all, I am new to the slide on camper world so would like your opinions...

I plan on doing some travelling..some of it off road--not rock crawling mind you-but some long 100 mile stretches of rocky, muddy, dirt washboard type roads off the grid.
I was originally thinking fwc for its light weight, but actually do like the idea of some more creature comforts as well as a roof assisted lift as i plan on carrying a 50-80 # load on the roof. With that in mind that made me think more of the 8 foot over head camper alaskan and / or the outfitter models. My question is- will either of these last 2 stand up to prolonged off road abuse? The last thing i want is to end up at my destination and find the top won't lift up (from what i understand, there is no manual way to lift the top if the hydralic lift fails).
I'll be using a 2011 ford f350 4x4 diesel w/ 8 foot box.
thanks
-jd

My Alaskan is 25 years old and had very poor care by the previous owners. I've owned it for 6 years now. It has been off roaded through the Black Hills, Big Horns, Bear Tooths, Gravel roaded most of the time, including the Cambell Highway in the Yukon, and the Dalton Highway in Alaska. It is starting to show it's age and miles, but so am I. The Alaskan's are built for this. Will I buy another one?, Probably,

I don't think you will have any problem off-roading with the Alaskan Camper. I base this on my 4 years hunting and fishing with my 8' NCO. If anything, it is superior to all the rest for three reasons: 1. the lower profile allows you to go where regular campers would be breaking limbs off the trees, 2. the additional weight seems to have a stabilizing effect on washboard roads, and 3. the lower center of gravity is much more stable than regular campers. At freeway speeds the lower profile gives less wind resistance and therefore, better mileage, plus a lower lateral wind profile making for a much more stable ride.

I love my 1964 NCO!

Look at the history of the Alaskan: designed to be run over the Alcan highway when it wasn't what we would call "in very good shape". Unless the concept behind the camper has changed in the past 40 years, you can count on it staying with you. Besides, could you lift the roof of a pop-up with 50 to 80 pounds of gear on it? The secret is in the maintenance of the camper. Maintain it well and it will serve you well.

I believe Marc had an Alaskan and he did a fair amount of off-road in it. He has mentioned that he wouldn't mind having another. Maybe he'll stop by this thread and straighten me out :)

I am considering either the Alaskan or FWC for winter ski area use. The FWC does have some sort of cylinder/piston manual assist option and can have up to 1000lbs. of snow load. About 200lbs. is recommended weight for luggage rack.

The Alaskan is heavier, pricier, and warmer.

thanks for the replies everyone; any thoughts on the outfitter 8' pop up?

FWC does have a lift assist option.

The FWC "lift assist" really just is a very basic assist mechanism that should be considered an assist for a non-loaded roof only. Lifting the roof with any extra weight on it at all is extremely difficult and the assist isn't going to change that much.

The FWC "lift assist" really just is a very basic assist mechanism that should be considered an assist for a non-loaded roof only. Lifting the roof with any extra weight on it at all is extremely difficult and the assist isn't going to change that much.

True, it is a lift assist, not a hydraulic lift system.

Back
Top Bottom