Off the grid campsites?

XJINTX

On another forum a camper had his RTT stolen while out climbing... got me to thinking :) I'm headed out for a couple weeks most in areas I have never been as yet. If I stage my FWC in a remote area and then hike or venture off... Is it safer to close it so no access to the vinyl popup?

Just wonder if it's even an issue I should concern myself with? I always lock extraneous gear in truck or camper.

If I'm going to leave my camper for an extended period of time, like a overnight, I'm going to close it up unless it's in my driveway.

If it's in a remote location and somebody wants to get in, they will. I'd still lock it, but hopefully they break in in a manner that is cheap to repair.

One of the things we need to carefull of is porcupines chewing on hoses.
Chicken wire.

If you leave your rig overnight in a remote location, your stuff is at the mercy of any passerby, hopefully honest folks looking for the same experiences you seek.

Bill D said:
If it's in a remote location and somebody wants to get in, they will. I'd still lock it, but hopefully they break in in a manner that is cheap to repair.

One of the things we need to carefull of is porcupines chewing on hoses.
Chicken wire.
Ground squirrels as well! At OX-West 2 years ago, these critters chewed up the insulation around my AC compressor and hoses. I now carry a rubber snake and put it under the hood at my camp site. No more critter problem. Just leave yourself a note on the steering wheel that the rubber snake is under the hood! Melting rubber snake is a mess to clean up and doesn't smell very good. A buddy found out the hard way.

I guess you could toss a rubber snake under the truck as well.

Bseek said:
A rubber snake!!! Now that's a new one. But if it works...

Hey Bseek...for what it is worth I have been to many of the spots on your blog/website and enjoyed your site very much..

You definitely have the spirit and the style! Keep on keeping on....

Phil

Back
Top Bottom