Off to Reno to pick up New Hawk

Cal

Hello to everyone on WTW. I have enjoyed reading other members posts, reading trip reports, and looking at all of the photos.

Well, finally the day has arrived that I can go pick up my new Hawk in Reno. I took the tailgate off of the truck tonight and spent the evening getting ready to go. My wife and I are on the road tomorrow for a 465 mile drive from Hinckley, Ut to Reno, Nv. We pick up the camper on Friday and then we are off on an adventure :) .

Hello to everyone on WTW. I have enjoyed reading other members posts, reading trip reports, and looking at all of the photos.

Well, finally the day has arrived that I can go pick up my new Hawk in Reno. I took the tailgate off of the truck tonight and spent the evening getting ready to go. My wife and I are on the road tomorrow for a 465 mile drive from Hinckley, Ut to Reno, Nv. We pick up the camper on Friday and then we are off on an adventure :) .

Congratulations! Such an exciting trip to get to make!
I did that drive to Reno last weekend to get my Finch. The directions to the FWC install bay are pretty good to the general location of the bay (Matley Lane), but you might also look for one of those office building signs titled something like "Reno Business Park". The install bay is back and to the right of the building front.
Also, you might consider budgeting some time (and propane) to burn your furnace (if you got one installed) for a while to burn off the new chemical smell before you guys crash for the night. Not a big deal, but worth running with everything vented for 30 min. or so. I can't even smell a trace of that anymore.

Again - congratulations on your new camper. Pics will be expected!

-joe D.

Congratulations Cal! You'll enjoy it.
smile.gif

What truck will be receiving your new pride-and-joy?

Congratulations! Such an exciting trip to get to make!
I did that drive to Reno last weekend to get my Finch. The directions to the FWC install bay are pretty good to the general location of the bay (Matley Lane), but you might also look for one of those office building signs titled something like "Reno Business Park". The install bay is back and to the right of the building front.
Also, you might consider budgeting some time (and propane) to burn your furnace (if you got one installed) for a while to burn off the new chemical smell before you guys crash for the night. Not a big deal, but worth running with everything vented for 30 min. or so. I can't even smell a trace of that anymore.

Again - congratulations on your new camper. Pics will be expected!

-joe D.

Thanks for the information about the furnace. I was also wondering about the water tank and if I it is to cold to fill it. I wouldn't want to freeze and break anything. We were thinking about heading back over to Fallon and pick up US95 and head south towards Beatty, NV and Death Valley.

Congratulations on the Finch I am sure you will enjoy it.

Cal, have a safe drive from UT to Reno (my old home town). A test run down US95 (or may I suggest US395 if the weather is ok) in your new FWC to Death Valley would be a great idea. Then wander across NV back to Delta!

Stew

Congratulations Cal! You'll enjoy it.
smile.gif

What truck will be receiving your new pride-and-joy?

A 1994 chev K2500 4wd 350 v8 w/143000 miles on it. I re-built the engine at 80,000 miles because of a low oil pressure problem. Had the shop replace the oil pump but that didn't solve the problem so I had fun rebuilding it. So far the motor has been running good.

Cal, have a safe drive from UT to Reno (my old home town). A test run down US95 (or may I suggest US395 if the weather is ok) in your new FWC to Death Valley would be a great idea. Then wander across NV back to Delta!

Stew

Thanks, I was looking at 395 down by mono lake. I'll have to look at the weather Saturday and see if it is going to be snowing or not.

The way the weather forecast is looking right now I'd grab the new camper and dash to the east before the storm gets here on Friday night. All the Best.

Cal, congrats on the new camper and safe travels. Height of the storm is predicted for Saturday. We have adjusted our planned travel route.

Congrats to both of you Cal and specjoe. Cal, you will certainly be winter testing your new camper. The Saturday forecast for Lee Vining, which is located at Mono Lake, is for snow with a high of 32 and a low of 17. :eek: Hawthorne is running about 12 degrees warmer and only calling for rain. Sounds like 95 for this trip and saving 395 for a future trip may be the best call.

Nice to hear about your new camper, Cal.

In the winter I remove the drain tube and valve and plug the bottom of the tank and replace with a threaded abs plug. Sierra winters (temp-wise) are generally mild enough that it stays warm enough in the camper so I've never had a problem. CO or UT though, I probably wouldn't risk it.

Of course you've gotta drain the tank using the water pump which takes a little bit more time, but you won't go breaking that drain valve everytime it dips below freezing for the night.

The way the weather forecast is looking right now I'd grab the new camper and dash to the east before the storm gets here on Friday night. All the Best.

I'm at the hotel now watching the weather channel and looking at weather sites on the internet. I am starting to think that your right. I really didn't want to do a winter camp the first time out. I'll keep an eye on the weather and maybe next Friday I can head south and take the ATV or Motorcycle with us.

Back
Top Bottom