Off to the Owyhee, October 2016

Occidental

Trail Master
We originally planned to do a Deschutes float. It fell through but there was a nice break in the weather last weekend which translated to dry roads in the Owyhee area so we headed there for four days. Part one of three is posted, part two is almost done, and I hope to have the final part posted tomorrow. Part one is located here: http://www.occidentalist.org/owyhee-2016-part-1-succor-creek-and-leslie-gulch/

We had a great trip, hope you enjoy the journey!

Great to see the fall pics of the Owyhee Canyonland country. Looking forward to your next installment. Birch Creek has been on my list for years.
Cheers-

Occidental, we are looking forward to more installments! Thus far we've made one trip through the Owyhee country. We very much are looking forward to and planning more adventures there.

Super photography and fantastic scenery = knock out post.
Enjoying the storyline as well. Looking forward to heading that way.

Been through there via motorcycle before but would love to get back in there with the FWC. Looking forward to the coming posts.

Sweet! Fine trip, fine photography! Thanks for posting.

The vehicular contraption identified as a hay stacker is a buckrake. The task of the buckrake operator is to scoot along a flat-lying hay meadow windrow of cut, raked, and sun-dried hay, fill the rake's L-shaped bucket full by driving down the axis of the windrow, lift up the bucket a bit, and drive the load over to the beaverslide. At the beaverslide, several buckrake loads are accumulated on a slightly tilted L-shaped lift. When full, a buckrake or tractor backs away from the beaverslide, pulling a cable run through a pulley system which raises the tilted back lift up an inclined "slide" to the top of the 25-30' tall wall of the beaverslide. At the top, the lift catches a spur and flips backwards suddenly, dumping the load into the middle of the beaverslide, itself a home made tall, four-sided frame bound by wire and fencing. The fall compacts the hay on the bottom and subsequent lifts add height and more compaction. When full to the top, the beaverslide's dogwire sides and their support poles are disassembled and, along with the inclined ramp which the lift rides upon and the lift and cable system, is moved elsewhere in the hay meadow to build another stack. Given the way it was compacted, the haystack stands without further support.

The buckrakes are home-made and the subject of some pride among ranchers. Many have been in use for +50 years. Most are a 2WD truck chassis with the operator's seat facing rearward such that the steering is in the rear. The steering, accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals and the manual linkages are all re-designed and run to provide for the rearward-facing primary operation. The buckrake bucket and its lift mechanism face rearward right in front of the operator.

In Montana's Big Hole, the Hirschey family brings in some of their single annual cutting of hay by the beaverslide/buckrake method, and in recent years has done so with an all-female crew. The matriarch runs the same buckrake, built by her father, which she was trained on as a young girl. Back in the day, it was commonplace to see children running their ranch's buckrakes.

There are some cool YouTube videos of buckraking in the Big Hole, including some of the Hirscheys.

Foy

Thanks for the explanation Foy. Owyhee has been on the list for a while, maybe it needs to get moved up a bit!

Great stuff everyone! This is fun and got us studying maps, a real good thing. Occidental, thanks so much and we are looking forward to more! :)

Yep-nice country, nice pictures. Several years ago,while on one of my many runs north to Pasco ( I get bored and sort of follow signs and just explore new places on the way up), I took a quick detour south from Vale and took a trip up to the Lake Oyhee area and was impressed, especially with the road up to the state camp ground! I always have wanted to go back into that country and now you have given me another reason too! Like Ski/Lady I've been looking at my BLM maps (Malheur River Country, Owyhee Canyon Country and the Steens Area Maps) and sort of half planning how to do it. Well, let me see :cautious: , head north up to Burns, then east to Vale--no, maybe east at Lakeview and into the Steens country, then north-what a nice loop this could be---lucky I'm retired, because this could be a dozy of a trip! Wait a minute, I was supposed to meet some friends over at the Pine Forest area this spring-so much to see, now if I could just figure out how to do it all :unsure: !

Smoke

Thanks for sharing your TR. Neat atuff. Looking forward to reading more. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Back
Top Bottom