Wandering Baja, January 2022

This is terrific ! You have gone where we will go... the first trip anywhere different is always a tad stressful as one wants to be sure they are doing it practically. This helps a lot. I have been getting info over the years ...Baja map etc... we have an Eagle too and have done extensive northern Americas trips but so much want to do south. Mexico is drawing us. I lived in Paraguay for 2 years and traveled all over S.A. ...my Spanish is passable ... but local vocabulary its not. Vicarious thrills seeing your videos... just can't wait to set sail! THANKS

buckland said:
This is terrific ! You have gone where we will go... the first trip anywhere different is always a tad stressful as one wants to be sure they are doing it practically. This helps a lot. I have been getting info over the years ...Baja map etc... we have an Eagle too and have done extensive northern Americas trips but so much want to do south. Mexico is drawing us. I lived in Paraguay for 2 years and traveled all over S.A. ...my Spanish is passable ... but local vocabulary its not. Vicarious thrills seeing your videos... just can't wait to set sail! THANKS
Thanks Buckland, for the nice comment, I'm glad you've enjoyed following along.

Part 3 is now posted on our blog here: https://www.occidentalist.org/baja-2022-part-3-the-adventure-continues/

We finally get some Baja fish tacos and go snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez.

The YouTube video of part 3 features some underwater shots and can be found here: https://youtu.be/O3f6GYZWw3c

Thanks for continuing to follow along. Part 4 should be the final part, and includes a day watching whales and dolphins as we return northbound. I aspire to finish it this week, but no guarantees...

a friend of ours was just down there and had kayaks, that they used and boated with the dolphins. the pictures were great.

goinoregon,
PM sent, don't want to hijack thread further.

Occidental, loved this. Many memories. I am pretty sure we stayed on the same beach, south of Loretto. Beautiful.
Going to be a long wait.

Wango said:
Occidental, loved this. Many memories. I am pretty sure we stayed on the same beach, south of Loretto. Beautiful.
Going to be a long wait.
Wango, yes likely for us too. It's enough of an endeavor to get there that you want to have adequate time to really enjoy it. I'm not sure when that will be for us, but hopefully before retirement!

In the meantime, the memories will have to do...

Very cool trip! That snorkeling south of La Paz reminded me of time spent on the islands off shore of Loreto.
Looking forward to the trip home.

It might be a few more days until I get the last post up, as we're headed out for the 3 day weekend (all this "good" weather has slowed down this trip report substantially), but I did get the last video done, which is posted here: https://youtu.be/nYw9hr8N8C8

The highlight of our final days in Baja was the whale tour to the mouth of San Ignacio Bay, and while the whales were amazing, the dolphins were really the stars of the show.

so it sounds like you felt the traveling and camping were safe
how was the cell phone availability? i am ok with not having it, but it is nice to check in once in awhile
anything u would do differently ?
thx

goinoregon said:
so it sounds like you felt the traveling and camping were safe
how was the cell phone availability? i am ok with not having it, but it is nice to check in once in awhile
anything u would do differently ?
thx
Yes, we felt travel was safe for sure, camping where we camped, we felt safe. I would recommend getting to a place with plenty of daylight, both to be aware of what's around, but also to allow time if your plan doesn't work out. The places we camped remote were far enough away from any town where we didn't worry about late night visitors, the other places where it was busier we were not far from other campers, that is what we used for a guide.

Cell coverage was plenty adequate. Like anywhere, remote locations didn't have any, but I don't think we went an entire day without some time in coverage. We have Verizon, and the truck has an ATT hotspot, between those we were covered. I did download all of Baja into an offline Google map for navigation and would recommend that - not only do you get roads, but business info for offline reference, which was handy.

The number one thing I'd do differently would be to have more time, if it were possible. Since we couldn't have more time, I'd personally skip going all the way south through Cabo and up the Pacific side south of La Paz and would have used that time on the east Cape instead. I would definitely do the whale tour and snorkeling again. And maybe a couple more layover days - we didn't do those just to get a feel for more areas on the initial visit, but the tradeoff was windshield time. So much to see....

We thoroughly enjoyed all four parts, thanks for your detailed reports! Tacos, tacos everywhere along with walks on the beach. The old churches were a delight to see. :)

Hah, we have an almost identical photo of the beach right before Agua Verde. Mark BC and I were there about 6 years ago. We found an overgrown road to the beach in the photo and spent two nights there. Great fishing and snorkeling by those islands.
gallery_176_163_520112.jpg
gallery_176_163_539908.jpg
gallery_176_163_510018.jpg

Ted, we literally stopped on that road and debated turning, but I guess the desire to see the end of the main road won out in this case. There was someone in the spot you stayed, and we were envious. We still thought about exploring it, thinking there would be another option. But we weren't disappointed by the beach at Agua Verde either. Thanks for posting those pics.

Back
Top Bottom