Ok, Ok, I give

Platano

Finally! I’m giving in. It’s about time I said a big HOLA to all of the WTW enthusiasts and the FWC bloggers. Having been a FWC forum voyeur for some time now, I will join the club officially. We purchased a used (2012) Hawk nearly a year ago and have been loving it. It has a bit of a story, as we are in fact the third owners, but the first to actually camp in it. Long story, but the upshot is that I had been searching for a used camper (we all know the trials and tribulations of that) and had ultimately gotten frustrated. Thinking a new shell would be the answer, (wouldn’t it would be best to have the “clean palette” to camp in and customize as needed?) I was ready to give up on the used option. Looking one more time on web, an unused but pre-owned Hawk showed up only 90 mi. from home base. Score! Ran down, saw it, bought it!!! We couldn’t be more pleased. As with any used camper it came with some options we likely would not have opted for in a new build, and it lacks others we might have preferred, but c’est la vie. There is still plenty to do in the modification and personalization realm to make it our own. We are up to the challenge.
The basics:
· 2012 Hawk: major features
o LED interior lights
o Side dinette
o 1.7 cf 3-way fridge
o Flush mount sink/stove
o Thermal pack liner
o Rear flood lights
· 2006 Toyota Tundra double cab

We likely would not have sprung for the $600 flush mount sink etc. but it is really nice to have giving extra counter space when one or the other appliance is not needed and it make a perfect storage place for the extra bed cushions when traveling. They may not be worth the upgrade price, but I’ll take them. Also might not have sprung for the Thermal Pack, but given what ya’ll say, we are glad to have it. We travel from very high to very low altitudes so it will pay off on both ends – heating and cooling. Have used the rear flood lights but once and can’t say they are a necessity, but hey, if they are there I might need to back up sometime in the dark. I probably would have opted for a compressor fridge if the choice were there (and may upgrade yet), but so far the small 3-way has worked well and been more than adequate (as long as the beer has its own cooler).
Needless to say, we are thrilled with the new camper and ready for years of exciting adventures. Already we’ve traveled from Arizona to Colorado to Montana and points in between. Bring it on!!

Attachments

• Camper.jpg
    Camper.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 150
  • ProfilePic.jpg
    ProfilePic.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DuntonMeadow1.jpg
    DuntonMeadow1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 158
  • DuntonMeadow2.jpg
    DuntonMeadow2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 163
Big welcome from another 2006 Tundra / Hawk owner!
We've had ours for three plus years now and there's no looking back.

That's a very nice camper. Would enjoy seeing some interior pics.

Welcome to the "cult". These 1st gen Tundras seem to be popular. Mine is the second truck to carry my Bobcat and I sure like it more than the Ranger it was on.
Actually the setup sounds about right.Not much else to add.
Have fun camping.
Thanks for sharing the photos.Yes would like to see interior shots.
Frank

Yes, the third owner part is a a strange twist, but the story goes like this .... a bit sad too. A couple were the original owners and the husband unfortunately passed away before they were able to use it. The camper was put on an RV lot where the second owner stumbled upon it and scooped it up. Second thoughts around a tight budget prevailed and I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Needless to say, it has now been camped in and we are thrilled with it, intent on giving it the home (away from home) it deserves. Forgot to mention the couple of mods already done that include a 125w solar module and a set of scissor steps. Followed the interesting scissor step thread recently and was intrigued by the variety of opinions. We are fully in the "we love 'em" camp. Also added a 1.5" memory foam top on the stock mattress pads -- works great but we'll see about that when it gets colder. We are definitely thinking heater as the unit does not have a furnace so will probably be soliciting advice on that in the future. I would have ordered the furnace, but the rig came originally from the Phoenix area so that may be why it wasn't put in. Will post some interior pics when next I get 'er popped up.

Back
Top Bottom