old grandby doesnt fit.. no problem

no fuss russ

If you have a cordless sawzall ,cordless drill, and four pieces of 3/32" 3X6" alluminum 95" long and some 1/2"and 1"self drillers you will drive away with a stroner better Grandby in two hours.Do not run from these older campers for cheap. A bit of work but I have a super snug rear tailgate area fit its amaising. I now have a grandby for under $500.I wish I could post my too big pics on this site... Im just stoked my idea worked.
Russ
note; save the corner trim you remove off the rear....it works perfectly to patch the front

If you have a cordless sawzall ,cordless drill, and four pieces of 3/32" 3X6" alluminum 95" long and some 1/2"and 1"self drillers you will drive away with a stroner better Grandby in two hours.Do not run from these older campers for cheap. A bit of work but I have a super snug rear tailgate area fit its amaising. I now have a grandby for under $500.I wish I could post my too big pics on this site... Im just stoked my idea worked.
Russ
note; save the corner trim you remove off the rear....it works perfectly to patch the front

Russ if you are posting your pictures from say I-photo,I have a Mac.I size them to medium than send them to desktop.From there you can attach to a post.You can usually do about 10 medium photos to a post.
Frank

I'd really like to see how you did that. Every time I've contemplated narrowing the floor pack , I've decided it would be too big of a job. Pictures if you can!

Yes we need pics and or a sketch please! I've passed up a couple of older Grandby's previously...

Thanks guys,
As i work on my picture sizing issues, I guess i could type a thousand words for each one. I had the normal 4' between wheel wells so the floor fit. The problem is the newer narrow tail gate opening on my 02 Dodge. if you look at the substructure of the alum. frame.... the knotch that rides over the wells is non structural. I determined narrowing this intermediate by 6" (3" each side). I laid out my cuts.one cut the length of the wheel well cover, a vertical cut at the front of the camper(I precut the siding with a knife so I wouldnt damage)this cut only goes up to the bottom of the bedrail cover. Then a horizontal cutcontinuing the bedrail cover line to the vertical cut. the last cut is along the plywood joint at the inner side of the bedrail cover.
I had the break metal left over from another job so i used that. I pre cut 4 pieces to 95" backed off all the inboard jack mount bolts and slid the break metal between the jack mount and the plywood bedrail cover. the 3" toe of my break metal is facing down and creating my new corner. the other break metal was installed 6" toe down. then I just zipped it together with stainless self driller screws.
I used the fall off from the break metal to reinforce the jack mounts. drill the new 3/8 mount holes and bolt thim back up. Super strong!!
The tailgate panel I tried to touch that as little as possible. The way they laped the plywood I was able to narrow the width by 1 " (just enough to squeek into my tailgate pocket.
I will figure this picture thing out
Russ

Russ you can get a free account at Photobucket its free , upload copy and paste in minutes they host the picture so you dont have to re size it , D

Hi All,
I guess im much better with tools than the computer... I have hours into trying to put a picture on WTW. I have many pics on photobucket but I cant get them from my desk top to here. I am feeling really stupid now. I have never ran into so much trouble posting a picture. I will get there sooner or later. I love these discussions and learned much from them. I just need to use them as a learning tool and not a sharing tool. I felt it was worth sharing that these campers can be easily modified to fit. As soon as I have a profile pic up .....I guess then I figured it out.
Russ

You got them on photobucket, that's half way there. When you view a photo on photobucket there's a box called image links next to the photo. Choose the one says IMG code. Right click it. It will say "copied". Then when you post here just right click again, choose paste, and that's it. Once you hit reply your pic will show up.

And, never delete your photos from PhotoBucket. If you do they will disappear from your WTW messages as well. The "Paste" operation is just a web link to your photos on PhotoBucket. When someone views your message, WTW looks for the photos on PhotoBucket and then immediately pulls them for display in your message. No photo on PhotoBucket, = no photo in your message on WTW. Thus, never delete you photos in PhotoBucket.They are never really "pasted" into WTW messages. Same thing goes for photos stored in a forum gallery.

I'm not sure what the limit is on photobucket but its something I'm not likely to ever reach, hence no reason to ever delete any pics.

Back
Top Bottom