Older Keystone box dimensions.

Woogybugger

Advanced Member
Hi all, I am on the market to by a pop up camper. I have my eye on an older model FWC keystone. Owner does not know what year it is but tells me it has a wood frame. So I am assuming it is 70s or early 80s. What year did FWC move from wood frames to aluminum.

I am also concerned about box dimensions. I have an 06 Dodge Ram long bed. Some threads hint that an older FWC has a wider box and will not fit between my fender wells. The owner assures me that it will fit but I do not want to make a 5 hour drive only to find out it won't.

Will a FWC that is old enough to have a wood frame fit my truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I've never heard of a wood frame either, but I think after 1990? the floor pack was narrowed to accommodate more modern truck beds such as yours. If I recall correctly the keystones are easier to modify to fit a newer truck if you want to go that route, lots of build threads on here about that.

I have a 1983 Keystone and although it has the wood floor pack and interior wood paneling, the framing is aluminum. That is the way I believe all the Four Wheel Campers are made.
The camper may fit between the wheel wells but it is the rear part of the camper that tends to not fit in the tail gate opening. I had to narrow the floor pack on mine to get it to fit my 99 Chevy Silverado. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, Hey Wyoming so you have any picks or write up on the narrowing project?

Thanks Pokybro. That is exactly the situation I am in. I intent to do the same narrowing of the floor pack. I however am not nearly as skilled with these kind of projects. My biggest worry is the welding. It looks like you only had to re weld one piece in each side, is that true or is more that is not showing?

Woogybugger, the link pokybro posted shows more and better pictures than I have. That is actually the post I followed that showed me what I needed to do to narrow my floor pack. That convinced me that I could tackle the project.

The one piece of aluminum tubing that needs to be removed and reattached, on my camper it was only welded in two spots. I took a 1" strip of, I think it was 1/16th", aluminum that was longer than the piece of tubing I was attaching. I then used aluminum rivets and riveted it to the tubing, and also to the frame it needed to attach to. I then took a piece of aluminum angle and cut 2 pieces the width of the tubing. Then I riveted each of the 2 pieces to the inside corners where the frame, and relocated tubing, come together. I am no engineer, but it seemed to be stronger than just the two welds. I have some pictures of this and will post them when I find them. Good luck!

Dude backed out on the sale at the last minute. I was on my way to meet him. A three hour drive each way and he backed out on the sale. Totally lame. I have been communicating with him for two weeks. I am a bit pissed off right now.

Sorry to hear this, but don't give up. Keep on looking. There is bound to be a better one out there with your name on it!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom