? On upgrading wire between camper an truck

dennis 221

So seems everyone says to upgrade stock fwc truck to camper battery wire connection to a bigger gauge. If I did this do i need to add something else or is it a simple remove an replace.???

Due to the installation of 30 amp DC-DC charger in my camper, I upgraded the wiring to the front of my truck to AWG #6 gauge.

An important add-on was the install of a Blue Sea 40 amp breaker that is mounted 1 foot away from my truck's battery. I also have a redundant 40 amp fuse on the other end of the long cable run, just before it connects to the 30 amp DC-DC charger.

The Blue Sea circuit breaker allows me to disconnect the long 15 foot cable run to the camper from the truck battery. The fuse is there because it was on the schematic drawing in the charger's user manual.

TacomaAustin said:
Due to the installation of 30 amp DC-DC charger in my camper, I upgraded the wiring to the front of my truck to AWG #6 gauge.

An important add-on was the install of a Blue Sea 40 amp breaker that is mounted 1 foot away from my truck's battery. I also have a redundant 40 amp fuse on the other end of the long cable run, just before it connects to the 30 amp DC-DC charger.

The Blue Sea circuit breaker allows me to disconnect the long 15 foot cable run to the camper from the truck battery. The fuse is there because it was on the schematic drawing in the charger's user manual.
Just clarify, does the breaker in the camper sit before the dc dc converter or between the dc dc converter and the camper battery?

Defulmmt said:
Just clarify, does the breaker in the camper sit before the dc dc converter or between the dc dc converter and the camper battery?
The 50 amp Blue Sea circuit breaker is in my truck's engine compartment about 14 feet before the cable reaches my 30 amp DC-DC charger that is mounted in the camper. I already had the breaker from a previous project.

I'm a firm believer in having some type of circuit protection as close as possible to the source battery rather than at the end of a long cable run. Even my camper battery has its own circuit breaker mounted to be able to isolate that battery at the source, if need be.

TA, I think he already had that breaker in his plans/layout. He was just asking about an additional one at the DCDC end.

Back
Top Bottom