One night in Avery CA

billharr

Wife's cousin has been after us to come up to Calaveras Timber Trails where they have a trailer. We went up on Friday, elevation about 3200 feet hotter than the valley. Temp at midnight was still 80 degrees. The sites are on top of each other so no privacy. Not my idea of camping but sure were a lot of people there. Most leave a trailer of some type there year round and just drive up. Many of the trailers will never be moved from where they are. I did find out where the old truck campers go to die. Many of the sites including the wife's cousins had a old camper on blocks. He said they are very cheep to buy and give a space if they have the kids come up.

Sorry no pictures I forgot the camera. :mad:

Side note: I took a drive up to Spicers as the wife has never been down there, lots of people camping everything was full. Then went back to Utica lake, From the sand pit area to the start of Slick Rock road was almost solid cars and campers!! I am talking well over 500 cars and campers WTF is happening to one of my favorite areas. This is the most people I have ever seen in the area. It was posted no parking or camping Aug 9, 10, 11, or 12 for site construction. Looks like it will be a camping area like Spicers in a few years. I wonder if they will pave the road? In two weeks I will be camping on Slick Rock Road at Duck Creek where I have camped since 1965. Sure have seen a lot of change in the area.

My wife is slowly understanding my usual avoidance of dedicated campgrounds or even commonly camped areas.

"I did find out where the old truck campers go to die. Many of the sites including the wife's cousins had a old camper on blocks. He said they are very cheep to buy and give a space if they have the kids come up."

Great one Bill; I enjoy your humor!

Wife's cousin has been after us to come up to Calaveras Timber Trails where they have a trailer. We went up on Friday, elevation about 3200 feet hotter than the valley. Temp at midnight was still 80 degrees. The sites are on top of each other so no privacy. Not my idea of camping but sure were a lot of people there. Most leave a trailer of some type there year round and just drive up. Many of the trailers will never be moved from where they are. I did find out where the old truck campers go to die. Many of the sites including the wife's cousins had a old camper on blocks. He said they are very cheep to buy and give a space if they have the kids come up.

Sorry no pictures I forgot the camera. :mad:

Side note: I took a drive up to Spicers as the wife has never been down there, lots of people camping everything was full. Then went back to Utica lake, From the sand pit area to the start of Slick Rock road was almost solid cars and campers!! I am talking well over 500 cars and campers WTF is happening to one of my favorite areas. This is the most people I have ever seen in the area. It was posted no parking or camping Aug 9, 10, 11, or 12 for site construction. Looks like it will be a camping area like Spicers in a few years. I wonder if they will pave the road? In two weeks I will be camping on Slick Rock Road at Duck Creek where I have camped since 1965. Sure have seen a lot of change in the area.

Bill really sorry to hear about the Union,Utica area.I hope they don't even think about paving the road,but with the new camp at the front end of Union and improvements to the other camp it looks like there might be more people there.One advantage we have though Bill being retired we can go at times that might be less used.
It's still a place we really like.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom