One of my favorite camping spots

5 Speed

Advanced Member
Had to post a picture of one of my favorite camping spots. Have been stopping here on trips up and down the Sierra for over 20 years.

Attachments

• My field office.jpg
    My field office.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 514
It is the Alabama Hills

Yes, it is the Alabama Hills, just up the dirt track behind the truck is a interesting cave where they filmed a Meatloaf video and the longest climb in the Hills is just a little behind the cave. Beautiful area.

I to have a love and hate with the area too

On Thanksgiving weekend 2000 we were camping just south of there on a dry lake bed near lava falls. We were tent camping with the same tundra when it was brand new and before our FourWheel camper. A storm that flew over the sierra and slammed us, well just after the sun came up it turned black as night and a sandstorm made it impossible. Sand at Lava falls is cinder! Somehow we got our tent and all three dogs in the back of the truck and couldn't move because we couldn't see. After a small break in the storm we got off the lake bed and made it to lone pine. There were Semi's all on their sides, cars ran into each other because of the zero visibility and almost every sign along 395 was snapped off at the base. We suffered 12K of exterior damage to the Tundra, everything looked like a frosted beer mug, in fact the silver was removed from the outside mirrors. Still love the area but will never camp near a volcano again!

Love 395 !

That photo is awesome and sure makes us miss Eastern Sierra's (now living in WA) ! I was a little surprised by Lqhikers posting that he's headed up to Kennedy Meadows. I am assuming that's at top of Sonora Pass which usually doesn't open this early. No snow in California?

My wife & I drove down to California in Dec just before the snow hit. Spent the night on White Mountain on the road that goes up to the Bristlecones. Awesome road at elevations > 10,000 ft. Spend a cold night in Grandview camp site. Photo is driving along the dirt road that traverses the top of the White Mountain looking back West towards Sierras just above Bishop. Highly recommend exploring this area too.

Thanks for sharing your photo.

Chris

Attachments

• whitemtn.JPG
    whitemtn.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 416
By no means the all-encompassing list.... but the Weather underground site lists snow depths and IMO...some great weather info. When you type in the zip code you are interested in it will also give you up to the date reports from local weather stations throughout the area. (scroll to the bottom of the page)

this is the list for CA on the Bishop page

http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=CA

Back
Top Bottom