options list for new Hawk, opinions? thoughts?

mctacoslayer said:
thanks again for all the responses...I'm so happy I asked! However now I have some decisions(good ones) to make

some follow up questions . it has to be said that I'm new to this and I'm very much a layman when it comes to all things mechanical, electrical, etc. I'm eager to learn though. Ask me to fix your wifi and I would have no problem ;)

lots to learn about solar. on it

1) solar in the pacific northwest....cloudy, generally cool weather is par for the course. I will opt to have all the prewiring done for solar, as I would save a fair amount of money and try to install a roof panel/controller myself(save that for another topic)...When I am not camping the truck/camper will be living on the city street and may have no access to shore power. Will the solar panel always keep trickle charging the batteries, keeping them charged so when I do go camping its not a concern? assuming no shade, but cloudy < my 2¢ worth... pretty much, yes. in particular if you don't have anything on in the camper. that is, the master switch off. assuming the batteries are fully charged when you park, solar would/should keep a float charge on them.>

2) If I went with a 2 way fridge, say the isotherm 130L...is the dual battery a requirement if you are camping for even just a couple days(weekends)? assuming no shore power and minimal sun. Also assuming I'm occasionally running the furnace, using the lights and charging phones. <there are a bunch of variables here, but I would highly recommend going with two batteries. depending on how often the refer is opened, how hot it is outside, and how much other power is used, you might get by for a couple of days, especially if you have put solar on the camper. talk to FWC or ATC about what battery options they can offer.>

3) how level does a 3 way fridge need to be? do minor angles prevent it from working? seems like thats the dealbreaker for me. ​<obviously, the more level the better, but it does not have to be perfect. we have two absorption refers (one in a hardside and the other in a travel trailer), and if they are say within half a bubble in the spirit level, they do fine.>

thanks WTW! more to come in sure

FWC no longer makes the rear awning. We hardly use ours as it is just another item to pack and we love to drop the top and take off and explore. I think the rear and roof solar plugs would be worth their weight in gold. We love the side awning. It gets plenty of use. I think if you get 2 batteries and the 2-way compressor fridge you won't have any regrets. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

We have a 2010 hawk, with most of the options. I really like the side awning. Have used the outside shower and it works good. My wife and I haven't camped in campgrounds so the outside shower hasn't been a problem.

In the process of switching the indoor and outdoor lights to LED. I also have the flood lights and would like to switch them to led also. The florescent lights were causing interference on the Ham radio gear.

Have the 3 way fridge and haven't really had any problems with it. I try to run it when we are level.

Have the 80 watt solar panels, roof racks, rear steps. Got most of the options at the time. I haven't used the racks yet. I have the inside lift assist struts and would like to have them on the outside. Wasn't an option back in 2010. Made the mistake one time of lowering the roof with out the struts attached. It was a lot of work getting the roof back up without them.

My wife and I are both 6' tall, so the side dinette didn't work for us. We have the roll over couch.

I have the corner jacks. I have been leaving them on, but if you tow a trailer, there is always the possibility of hitting the jacks when backing up and turning. Have already bent the rear corner on the camper. I'm going to start leaving the jacks at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I get a lot of use out of the outside shower - you can make it work in camp grounds if you are creative

My 3 way fridge works great - and means I do not have to spend extra $$$ on solar

I have the fan and a vent combo - and like it

I use my awning in the rain and sun - works well for me

I never use the flood lights.

Keep in mind if you are from BC your environment will be different from those offering input who live in Arizona. I am not sure that solar is as effective for us in Canada as it is for a southern brethren.

My advice is to keep it simple and cheap - easy to fix and flexible for your trips.

If I could do it over again I would probably go with a shell and a buddy heater with a portable shower and a 3 way fridge.

mando, where did you find this? "This is the most overpriced FWC option. It comes prewired, and if you are remotely handy you can add a high quality 160W system later for ~ $300."

97grandby said:
Congrats on your upcoming order. Here is my view on your options lists and what I would use with my family. We have one 6 year old child as well so a family of 3.

1) an awning! none, side or batwing...how are they in the rain?-
My vote is they are are way overpriced. I found an ez-up for 70.00 on sale at woot.com and I like being able to move it around and use it when we are not in the camper. 1400.00 is just to much money for some shade.

2) fridge options. so many to choose from. any regrets getting the 2.7 3 way? I would like silent.
***I have had propane but I would and have currently compressor 2 way style. It keeps the food at a steady temp, and I don't have to worry about the fridge going bad if its off level. My dad had to pull apart his entire alaskan camper to get his fridge out because he pulled off the side of the road for lunch and the truck wasn't level. 1 hour later and his 1,000.00 fridge was toast. I also like the fact one less flame constantly going in my camper. Its a small one and for the most part they work well, but I just like keeping things burning to the least amount as possible. The down side is you need dual batts and solar or a generator if you are going to sitting at the same camp site for a few days.

3) hot water/outside shower? sounds like it would be nice...not sure if I would use it. can always boil water for dishes etc.
To me the cost is pretty high but even more so is space it takes up in the cabinets. You can wash your hair in the sink or set up an outside shower pretty easy and a lot cheaper then getting one built in. I would skip this one.

4) can I get a solar controller installed now and get the panel later?
**not sure, FWC I'm sure can answer this one. I know they pre-wire for a panel now from the factory. I would add the cargo tracks only on the roof. That makes it very simple and secure to add solar later on down the road.

5) any other "off list" options I should consider? King bed available?-
The only thing I would have added was A/C but I live in Las Vegas, NV and this is a pretty major thing to try and add latter.

6) back steps to roof, rear flood lights, exterior lights...essential?
I think back steps are pointless. I have never needed to get on the roof at a camp site in 15 years of owning 4wc's. So I would skip those for sure. I haven't had rear flood lights but they are very bright. I have always gotten along fine with just the rear porch light. The exterior lights are pretty nice on my brothers new Grandby. Those would be a nice to have, but not required if I ordered a new one.

7) probably will pick up the jacks down the road. do people take the truck in for maintenance with the camper installed, or would the camper need to be removed?
I have had my truck in the shop several times and never been an issue with it being left on.

I would add solar myself and not pay the huge markup FWC charges. You could build a very nice and much more powerful system then 4wc's for half the cost. Good luck with your new camper.
what are teh direct sources for this? This is the most overpriced FWC option. It comes prewired, and if you are remotely handy you can add a high quality 160W system later for ~ $300.

rando said:
i just went through this same process ordering a fleet, although it hasn't arrived yet so I may not be the best qualified to answer your questions. I can tell you why we chose what we did:

1) We went with the side awning. We have one on our current camper and don't use it a whole lot, but it is useful in the sun (we are in CO) and the the rain. It also helps make outside living space. We like to be outside most of the time when we camp, and were worried that a truck camper makes that a little harder as it is kind of difficult to go in and out. Our hope is that the awning will be an incentive to be outside more.

2) We got the 80L 2 way, but mainly because go longer dry camping trips and feel that the 2 way is less finicky than the 3 way.

3) We also got this. Honestly, we mainly did this for resale. It would be very hard to add it later and I think most buyers would expect hot and cold running water on what will still be a $20K+ used camper if/when we sell. If you don't fill it, it actually doesn't add too much weight.

4) Do the solar panel and controller yourself later. This is the most overpriced FWC option. It comes prewired, and if you are remotely handy you can add a high quality 160W system later for ~ $300.

5) We added a second FF to the front vent as we camp in the desert a lot and may appreciate the breeze over the bed.

6) We got none of these. From borrowing a friends Fleet, the outdoor lights are WAY to bright to use anywhere, and we don't plan on loading boats on the roof.

7) No jacks. We will cross that bridge if we ever need them, but don't plan on removing the camper.

Good luck!
where did you get this? "This is the most overpriced FWC option. It comes prewired, and if you are remotely handy you can add a high quality 160W system later for ~ $300."

Solar blvd 160W panel - $125. https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-160-watt-12v-monocrystalline-solar-panel/
Victron MPPT charge controller - $88 http://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy-MPPT-7515-Solar-Charge-Controller_p_2779.html
Adapter cable for roof solar plug if you don't want to make your own - $25 https://www.renogy.com/renogy-mc4-to-sae-adaptor/
Roof mounting feet (only if you don't get the yakima tracks): $40 http://amsolar.com/rv-mounting-accessories/91m-zbf

With an hour or two of work you can get a 160W solar system for 1/3 the price of the FWC offering.

My personal experience with the panels is while shading certainly cuts down the power, it won't eliminate it. Even on a very cloudy day my batteries are getting a float charge, of course with very little draw. I really need see just how much wattage I can get out of it on a cloudy day.

The more amp hours your battery or batteries have the less likely you are to fall below the dreaded 50% SOC so I'd go with two. Not possible to have too much :)

Its really nice be okay with only sort of level. I hate worrying about level when its late and I'm tired. As long as I don't roll off the bed I'm level enough. Plus I don't have to remember to grab the blocks as I drive off.

Back
Top Bottom