Options

Phird05

OK, here I am getting ready to place an order for a new Hawk model. I am trying to get to the Salt Lake show to see them, and reconfirm all of the reasons why I want one of these. I am a truck camper "virgin", and the sticker shock, especially in this economy is a little overwhelming. Here's my question.

Have any of you not ordered several of the options that you wanted, in order to minimize the cost, and said "I'll just add them later"? OK, I guess I have two questions. The second being, have any of you done that and regreted your decision? I am in a quandry as I have a difficult time justifying 15 + thousand dollars right now, but really would like to feel OK about spending the money.

Any suggestions on what it is like to add options later, or should I just suck it up, and try to order with all of the options I would like?

Sorry, that was three questions!
Thanks Paul

Mine will be finished on Wed. and I'm picking it up the following Wed. I just went for it. Ive had a few campers before, so I more or less knew what I wanted. I just went for it. Amortizing the price out over the life of the camper the extras are only a few $ per use. If you can aford the option and think you'll like it. I'd say go for it now and always enjoy it. If $ are tight, hold off and tell the "guys" you'll be adding it later so The framing/backing can be welded into the frame. Don't forget wiring you may need later.

Thanks Keith.

The other issue I have is I am in Colorado and I can't spend the time and money going back and forth to CA very often to have the add-ons done. I haven't decided for sure if I will order it yet, but I will most likely decide at the show in Salt Lake, if I can get there.

Thanks for the input.

Paul

If you tell them what you may install later and all the framing and wiring is correct. Install of most anything should be fairly easy.:thumb:

i got every option i could. i added a 2nd sureflow fan beyond their options (they do cust requests).

i have questioned a couple of choices...but have since recanted.
Use of the unit in different seasons demonstrates the value of most of the options.
Some options find only seasonal use and their value might seem questionable when you dont need it.

but when you do need it...yahoo! youre glad to have it!

Hi Paul. Welcome to the addiction.

We have an '08 Hawk... we went with just about everything but the Yak racks, a second fan (shoulda)...the awning, and the plastic crapper.

No regrets here. We bought ours sight unseen (except the pics here/on kcwyo's trip takes on Expedition) and I can honestly say that I haven't missed La sQuinta/Worst Western, or Helliday Inn whatsoever....and we consider every night we spend in the Hawk is an easy $75 dollars savings off what we paid for it. Then there's resale...I ain't going there but it's nice to know that if you needed to do so the unit would FLY out the door at a good price and we would likely recoup a goodly amount of our original investment.

I'm in Edwards/Vail Valley....one heck of alot closer that SLC from just about anywhere in the state.... so if you wanna figure something out I'd be happy to show you my Hawk and let you pop the top and flop on the bed/etc. Top of Vail Pass...here at the house...*whatever*.

And should you decide to go to SLC and talk to Stan/etc. and wanna stop anyway....I'm only a mile or so off I-70.

lemme know.

Pat/mtn

Paul,
Once I decided to spend the big money I labored with the same questions about options before I ordered my Hawk in December. I ended up getting the options I knew I wanted and would be difficult to order later, 3 cu. ft. refrigerator, extended bed, rear lights, auxiliary battery and jacks. I did not order the power vent because FWC staff told me it would be simple to retrofit later, and it was easy enough as it took me about 2.5 hours yesterday to remove the passive vent cap and install the 3 speed fan. The $295 option from FWC cost me $170. Of course FWC would have put the passive vent above the bed and I haven't.
I bought the "starter kit" because I have my own water hose and gray water tank. I went to Surburban Propane and paid $24 to have the tank purged and filled, a $25 cost for a full tank from FWC. I bought folding steps I like for now from Wal-Mart for $21.
It amounts to saving a very small percentage on the overall cost. The question to me is really whether or not I could afford it in the first place. I would have bought used, but I got tired of being the 9th caller.
Hope this helps.

I ordered my Granby with most of the options, My only regret is I didn't order more. I will be going back to the factory to have more stuff installed. I need more stuff! The pain from writing the big check is gone but having the options is a joy every time I use them.

Cheers,

Mike

I wound up adding a couple items before mine was built. I made sure to get the items that would be difficult to add later. The heater and water heater. I left off the awning and screen door to save costs. I still want to add those at some point.

Paul,

Two things to consider: first, some options replace storage (i.e. the hot water heater); second, depending on your truck, you might want to consider the Grandby/Cougar campers.

My option regrets, none. Had I gone FWC, I'd have regretted the hot water heater.

Phird05

Check mout the classifieds, their have been some really good deals on fairly new Hawks lately.

marc

I would definately purchased used if I could, I just have't been able to find anything (Hawk) for my 6.5' bed anywhere online, other than the cheap stuff. Can you pass along any info regarding classifieds? I have googled everything, but no luck.

Thanks, Paul

Thanks for your offer Mtn-High. I may take you up on the look at your Hawk. I have been struggling to commit the time to go to SLC anyway. I am fairly familiar already but haven't had a look at anything more recent than 2000...maybe. I will let you know for sure when I can figure out a schedule.

Thanks again!

Paul

I might be placing an order soon!

This is my first post. Be gental I'm a virgin.

I have been reading this forum for quite some time. I have had cabovers and trailers in the past. I have for the past Four years been thinking of getting a FWC. I did talk to the guys at ATC and did visit the FWC shop in Woodland a couple weeks ago. It is very hard to decide what options to get or not get. I want as much room and storage as possable. The camper of choice is the Keystone shell with options.

The only problem I have with getting the camper is the down turn in the economy.

I have a large piggy bank that I save all year for Abalone, WaterFowl, Deer, and Elk trips. I don't have a problem getting the money. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM LETTING IT GO VERY EASILY. Mostly with all the resent layoffs happening in the local area.

I hope to make up my mind SOON.

Hope to see you in SLC.

AbaloneTony

I've bought two... both differently

I have a bad habit of analyzing everything to death... especially money... I'm sure it's my Scottish background....

Anyway, I bought a FWC ... LOADED. great camper, excellent value, got almost exactly back for it what I paid for it...remember that.

BUT...

I next bought an ATC Panther shell with a few of the add ons. This is why it worked for me.

1. I do all of my cooking/cleaning outside.. so I only wanted the heater option. Plus that gave me a set up to hold a propane tank in the vehicle. Not carrying water... worrying about grey water or a stove and the accompanying cleanup and fan(s). I didn't buy get the screen door. I just figured I'd walk through it after too many IPA's one night. :D

2. Hardly ever used the awning on the FWC so didn't get it on the ATC.

3. Had the guys at ATC hook my camper up for solar in case.

So... it all depends on your camping style, money and ability to tinker. For me... the camper is a great place to store equipment, food and other stuff needed for camping..a place to get out of the rain..and a place to sleep. That's why I got the shell model with some mods. Go to my webpage and it will show you what I purchased.

Good luck and have a great time!!!

CB

Thanks to all of you for your advice on my questions. I got a lot of very helpful advice. I really hope I will be able comfortably make the decision to order the Hawk next week. I guess the only thing stopping me is the price with the options I want, and that sometimes too practical side of myself. :( I will let you all know what I decide.

Thanks again, Paul

Good advice CABnCruzer. I guess my heritage is obvious from my post. Yep, I am second generation Scot as well. Anyway, I wish I was not wavering back and forth as much as I have, but I guess I will know what to do when I do it.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

Hey again.

We may be heading down to Denver next Saturday..if so we can hook up somewhere.

I may regret the hot water heater, scott..if for nothing else but the winterization factor. I'll get 4-5 months a year max use out of it up here....and in the winter when ya really need it you can't use it.

I guess we'll figure out if it's worth it the first time we are grubby after 3-4 days out mid-summer (or are covered in DEET) and want a shower! And then there's the "No shower, no lovin'" factor... heehee

Hopefully you can see my Hawk and that will help you lean towards a fully loaded one or a shell model

If I were single, I would buy a shell.

With the wife...I know she'd kick me in the 'nads if I spent that much $$$ and she still felt like she was sleeping in the camper shell with no stove/refrig/runnig water...etc.

women!:rolleyes:

Hey mtn-high,

I am actually in Crested Butte, but will try to get up to your neck of the woods within a couple weeks. Re: the water heater may be a bigger concern for me at this elevation as it is for you. Oh, soooo many things to weigh before I buy. Maybe I'll just have to use the tent for a few more years. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom