Ordering a Hawk 1-28-17 Do's Don'ts?

DrJ- I'm confused...your first camper was a Hawk front dinette, and you say you could eat lunch without popping the top.

But on your Grandby front dinette you say you can't, because the dinette is raised.

So was the dinette not raised on the Hawk? I thought all FD's were raised, shower or not.

Or was the Hawk for a Ford Super Duty and not the Grandby?

I have had two hawks in the last 4 years. A 2013 and now a 2016 hawk. I travel alone but I prefer the front dinette I got in the new hawk. It has more room for dinner a book and a computer and I find the seat more comfortable. I did not get the toilet (I don't want that where I sleep) and so I have lots more storage with the front dinette than I did with the side. I find the hot water heater invaluable. An outside shower after a hike is great. My new one has the inside shower as well and I loved it when I used it on my first trip out. I was at a national park campground without showers and after a long hike wanted to get cleaned up. Outside shower wasn't an option with all the people around but the inside one worked perfect. A hike, clean up and a nice sit down to a cup of tea. I've never had the outside steps but was told by someone in the know don't bother. I've always had the medium sized fridge but again it's just me. There is no longer a front opening window option. ...I wish I had the truck you are putting yours on BTW. I got the bat wing awning but haven't used it yet. I've never used an awning in many many trips. I got a gas can holder on the back of my latest hawk and I like that allot.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Just my .02 but I have a 2015 Hawk side dinette. I like the location and room at sink and stove. We like the bed access too as we don't slide bed out. However I absolutely HATE the 90 degree fold over seat. It is very uncomfortable when my wife is in the other. I wish there was a way to angle it back just a bit more to relax for reading.

W6USA said:
DrJ- I'm confused...your first camper was a Hawk front dinette, and you say you could eat lunch without popping the top.

But on your Grandby front dinette you say you can't, because the dinette is raised.

So was the dinette not raised on the Hawk? I thought all FD's were raised, shower or not.

Or was the Hawk for a Ford Super Duty and not the Grandby?
Both the Grandby front dinette and Hawk were built for Chevys.

The Front dinette is lifted up a few inches which makes it too tight for me to sit and each lunch without the top up.
However, sleeping on the bottom bed is no problem with the top down.
I do not have the inside shower option.

The roll over couch is not raised as compared to the front dinette.

Here's a video of the batwing in case you haven't seen it:

Must admit it's tempting, however, my refrigerator is on that side and it is nice to be able to just put the awning out a couple feet to shade the side so it doesn't run as much. Doesn't look like that would be as easy with the batwing. I'm back to glad I have the regular awning!!

If cost isn't a factor, simply get every option you think you might want. For example, I left out the rear flood lights, then you sit around for three months waiting for your camper and realize, "Oh that would be great to have." Then FWC charges you $200 to add that option! Your truck will handle all the weight you can throw at it, so that isn't a factor.

Good luck, these are great campers.

Sure, even things like the floodlights that don't get used a lot (battery operated lantern is great for area lighting) they do get used some. I wish I'd gotten the screen door.

BrianG said:
If cost isn't a factor, simply get every option you think you might want. For example, I left out the rear flood lights, then you sit around for three months waiting for your camper and realize, "Oh that would be great to have." Then FWC charges you $200 to add that option! Your truck will handle all the weight you can throw at it, so that isn't a factor.

Good luck, these are great campers.
I agree with this way of thinking, but few of us have the liberty of saying cost is not a factor.

When I shopped for my FWC I made a spreadsheet with all the options and the cost of each option. I then made 3 columns, Must have, nice to have and dream build. It was fun to play around with numbers and my budget. In the end I was going to go for a shell with about $5000 in options. The day before I was going to the dealer to place an order a next to new nearly fully loaded unit became available on route. I bought it. It was $3000 more than the shell build, but $10,000 less than new. I certainly don't regret all the options, but if I were going to order a new unit at this time, I would eliminate some of the options and get others. Even if I was rich, I personally wouldn't use the rear wall steps.

I love these threads because even though people go, I should have done this or that, no one regrets buying the camper :)

craig333 said:
I love these threads because even though people go, I should have done this or that, no one regrets buying the camper :)
I know right! Everyone is pretty cool with answering what must get asked a lot.

One week till I order. Based on a 22 week wait, June 20ish will be a happy day.

Not to throw a wrench into your plans but if you want it earlier, have you talked to ATC? There might be other configurations/options that you want.

I am really happy with the Fiamma awning and think it offers a lot more coverage than the Batwing. The Batwing is cool but we sit and cook under the side awning and would have much less coverage with a BW.

fireball said:
I am really happy with the Fiamma awning and think it offers a lot more coverage than the Batwing. The Batwing is cool but we sit and cook under the side awning and would have much less coverage with a BW.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1485135287.586191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Can't tell you how much stuff (wet and dry) I hang on those expensive, semi-useless rear steps when camping. Of course the jack supports are also great hangers.

Order day at FWC was a lot of fun for my wife and I!!

Can't believe the current wait, have fun.

Another nice option in my opinion is the aluminum jack bracket upgrade. The paint will inevitability chip off the stock ones from removing and adding the jacks.

Also at the end of the day its all about the memories and experiences and less about gadgets/options.

Today was order Day, worked with Pete he was great. We were the only ones there for about 10 minutes than a whole lot of different people came in. Seems to be an 18-19 week wait. So End of May early June I should be down in Woodland getting her installed.

Thanks to everyone's input and comments, This is what I ended up with for a configuration:

Mechanical Camper Jacks (4 corner)
Upgrade to Aluminum Jack Brackets
Solar Panel - 160 Watt w/ Charge Controller (Roof Mounted)
2-Way Refrigerator/Freezer - 130 liter (AC/DC)
Forced Air Furnace w/ Digital Thermostat
DSI 6 Gallon Hot Water Heater w/ Outside Shower n/a
Fan-Tastic Fan(Power Roof Vent Fan)
2nd Fan-Tastic Fan(Power Roof Vent Fan)
8' Side Awning w/ Light
"Yakima ""Tracks Only"" on Camper Roof"
Rear Wall Steps
Rear Flood Lights - LED
Exterior LED Lighting Package
Thermal Pack
Camper Battery System (1st battery, wiring, & separator)
2nd Deep Cycle Battery (dual batteries)
Flush Mount Glass Top Sink/Stove Upgrade
Silver Spur Interior Only
Front Dinette w/Casette Toilet
King bed slideout cabover bed

Solar plug wired to the back is standard, I asked thanks to a comment earlier.

Is the King Bed slideout now available with the front dinette, big refrigerator and cassette toilet now? It wasn't back in 2013.

Spitfire said:
Is the King Bed slideout now available with the front dinette, big refrigerator and cassette toilet now? It wasn't back in 2013.
It was today, I was told I needed the flush mount sink and stove though

Back
Top Bottom