Ordering a Hawk 1-28-17 Do's Don'ts?

Congrats. You will enjoy your camper. The wait is no fun, however it gives you time to start evaluating things that you will need to stock your camper with (i.e. coffee maker or coffee press, pots and pans, types of utensils, sleeping bags). We stated with a huge list and paired it back. Spend the year camping before deciding to purchase a portable solar panel. FWC wires the solar plug to the solar controller so the portable panel you purchase should be ordered without the charger on the panel. After 2 years we purchased a swing out RackAttack holder and cargo carrier with cover to carry the grill, chairs etc. We still have to carry items inside the camper. Have fun. jd

Thermal Pack
Great for hot or cold climates. Keeps cold out in the winter and hot out in the summer. Canvass sweats in the winter so
it provides a dry barrier.

We leave ours installed permanently. Expensive yes. For a do-it-yourself option check out "ski3pins" directions. Material cost around
$ 150.

And congrats on your new camper

We just spent 3 nights out in our new Hawk. Just purchased a basic shell model without everything except the propane heater. Temperature outside at night was between 10F and 17F. The propane heater worked like a charm. Will I add the thermal package? YES! It's not because we were cold. I'm only guessing but my thought is that the propane heater may run just a little less with a thermal package. We are also going to insulate around the underside of the camper a little more. One thing we did change right away before leaving on our first camping expedition was the Bed. I apologize to the people who like the sleeping pads provided by FWC but they suck!! We got a 4" memory foam mattress to lay on top of the pads FWC provided us plus a pillow top mattress pad. Sounds like a lot of stuff but when you're outside all day long beating up your body it's nice to have a comfortable bed to sleep on.

With everyone's advice, I ended up getting the thermal pack. I'm a month plus a week or 3 into my wait. Come on May 17th, hurry up and get here....

We just got ours a couple weeks ago and really like it so far. For battery power I bought 2 Fullriver DC224-6 batteries and a NOCO Genius charger Gen1 along with a Victron BMV-700 monitor. Works really well charging off of land or car or solar.

Aussiedor said:
We just spent 3 nights out in our new Hawk. Just purchased a basic shell model without everything except the propane heater. Temperature outside at night was between 10F and 17F. The propane heater worked like a charm. Will I add the thermal package? YES! It's not because we were cold. I'm only guessing but my thought is that the propane heater may run just a little less with a thermal package. We are also going to insulate around the underside of the camper a little more. One thing we did change right away before leaving on our first camping expedition was the Bed. I apologize to the people who like the sleeping pads provided by FWC but they suck!! We got a 4" memory foam mattress to lay on top of the pads FWC provided us plus a pillow top mattress pad. Sounds like a lot of stuff but when you're outside all day long beating up your body it's nice to have a comfortable bed to sleep on.
How do you like the memory foam when the camper is cooler inside? Not to hard initially?

4" of memory foam was awesome along with a super soft all season reversible pillow top mattress pad. We had that on top of the pads that came along with the camper. Surprisingly the camper lid shut very easily with all that on the bed. We did take the comforter off the bed. I learned something a few days before we left on our adventure. DON"T TIGHTEN THE CAMPER LID TO TIGHT!!! They didn't tell me this when I went to pick up the camper. Some of the caulking in the roof squeezed out and made a mess.

Aussiedor said:
4" of memory foam was awesome along with a super soft all season reversible pillow top mattress pad. We had that on top of the pads that came along with the camper. Surprisingly the camper lid shut very easily with all that on the bed. We did take the comforter off the bed. I learned something a few days before we left on our adventure. DON"T TIGHTEN THE CAMPER LID TO TIGHT!!! They didn't tell me this when I went to pick up the camper. Some of the caulking in the roof squeezed out and made a mess.
Did you adjust the clamps to tighten the lid? If so was it loose from the factory? Trying to learn...

They are supposed to be somewhat loose. I thought they were too loose so I tighten one of them a little tighter than it should have been. When you pick up your camper from the dealer ask about what happens if you over tighten the roof and how to clean up the mess. They really should be telling everyone about this. Apparently FWC sees this problem quite a lot and for some reason the dealer I went through had never seen this problem so they didn't know to talk with me about it. I tend to learn from my own mistakes so I wasn't surprised to hear from FWC that I was the cause of this problem. Just get a good idea from the beginning about the tightness of the clips. You'll be a happier camper.

Congrats on the new Hawk.

I'm late to the conversation, but the rear steps make a very good spot to hang your waders to dry without dragging on the ground!

stanbiker said:
Congrats on the new Hawk.

I'm late to the conversation, but the rear steps make a very good spot to hang your waders to dry without dragging on the ground!
Sees like the primary use for the steps is to hang stuff. That's really the only reason I put them on my order. This ole fat guy ain't no rock climber, and I heard you pretty much have to be to use them.

loving this community.

Yup, if you don't have good knees or strong leg muscles get the steps or a small ladder. On our truck the camper has to be raised 3ft to slide onto the truck bed. Our puppy makes the entry look easy. She just jumps in.

Thursday was 1/2 way through the wait, May 17 is the expected completion date. I've Been reading a ton of threads here, replacing old gear with easier stuff to stash. Trying to decide on steps, after a lot of reading I am bouncing between the Rubbermaid step, little giant 3 step and a hitch step I have not seen on here much. Link below, does anyone have pros/cons about this hitch mount set?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Step/Brophy/RHS2.html

This long wait is excruciating!!! At least I should have the camper and 2 weeks to get it supplied before Memorial Day weekend.

n2Jeepin, That is the step that I have and I leave it on almost always. I also have it tightened with a hitch tightener. The tightener makes it a little more trouble to remove. If you don't use the tightener it just wobbles a bit but you get used to it quickly and it is not so bad. The nice part is that the ladder is solid and always in the same place. I try to always camp so that if I need to put blocks under one end of the truck, it is the front. If you block the back it can make the last step before the ground a BIG step. The top step on that ladder is even with the step on my bumper making for smooth transition into and out of the camper. As for truck size yours should be about the same size as mine, I have a 2015 2500HD.

DavidO

DavidO said:
n2Jeepin, That is the step that I have and I leave it on almost always. I also have it tightened with a hitch tightener. The tightener makes it a little more trouble to remove. If you don't use the tightener it just wobbles a bit but you get used to it quickly and it is not so bad. The nice part is that the ladder is solid and always in the same place. I try to always camp so that if I need to put blocks under one end of the truck, it is the front. If you block the back it can make the last step before the ground a BIG step. The top step on that ladder is even with the step on my bumper making for smooth transition into and out of the camper. As for truck size yours should be about the same size as mine, I have a 2015 2500HD.

DavidO
Thanks DavidO, great tip to keep that fist step easier! With a short wife and 2 8yr olds they will appreciate it. Thank you for the confirmation that it works well, I believe that's the route I was going to go. Seems like it would work well when on un even ground up in the foothills.

*2 on DavidO's comments. Unless I need to tow or use the cargo platform, my Brophy is installed. I, also, use a tightener most of the time.

Negatives, IMHO, include these.
The bottom step is low enough to hit low obstacles such as curbs when pulling out onto a crowned road resulting in a bent step.
The bottom step occasionally scoops up a load of dirt when backing into a parking space where the landscaping rises above the parking surface & curb.
The entire unit has low enough visibility to pose a threat to one's shins when walking around the back of camper. I applied reflective & glow in the dark tape to increase visibility.

In spite of these drawbacks, I like mine and haven't found a better solution. For me, it is still the best solution. The largest plus is having a strong stable step always in the same place to put my foot when backing out of the camper at night.

To make a nearly ideal solution, modify it like Bosque Bill's steps. http://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2014/02/camper-steps-modification.html

Paul

I have the Brophy step as well and I really like how solid it is.
I take mine off when traveling. I wrap it in a small, thin furniture pad. It fit in the back door opening quite well with a full kitchen and a roll over couch. So no issues with the width.

It is a bit of a beast. What I do to keep it out of the way on short day trips is throw it in a pup tent, my trailer, or lock it to a tree.

I certainly like bosquebill's mod, but I'm fine with it the way it is. I doubt you will find anything better built. It would be unnecessary. Perhaps better designed, but Bill's mod takes care of that.

Hi in2jeepin
Happy for you to be at the half way mark. I like those steps, and was going to get them. Came across a read, which said about waiting to get the camper first. Well we did and took a Rubbermaid stool I had in the garage for working on stuff. Been using ever since. Not saying don't buy it, but found my windows are so high I have to carry a 36 in step ladder and that is not comfortable to use for both. Any how my point is it's not always what you think till you get it. Again glad your at the 50 yard line looking forward to your first trip report.
Russ

n2Jeepin said:
Thursday was 1/2 way through the wait, May 17 is the expected completion date. I've Been reading a ton of threads here, replacing old gear with easier stuff to stash. Trying to decide on steps, after a lot of reading I am bouncing between the Rubbermaid step, little giant 3 step and a hitch step I have not seen on here much. Link below, does anyone have pros/cons about this hitch mount set?

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Step/Brophy/RHS2.html

This long wait is excruciating!!! At least I should have the camper and 2 weeks to get it supplied before Memorial Day weekend.
I just built a very simple step. Ultra cheap. One bolt/nut/washer and an old 2x4

full

Flipped upside down for travel

full

top down shot on how it looks flipped for travel

full

ready for use while parked

full

Wallowa said:
Our '16 Hawk hot water heater holds 6 gals of water which supplements the 20 water tank for a total of 26 gallons of water on board...

Still can't visualize how eliminating the external water heater can result in more interior storage space. Our HW heater is located above and outboard of the water pump with access from a vented exterior door. Perhaps a different floor plan or cabinet design?

The convenience of simply turning on the hot water faucet in the sink or exterior shower rather than firing up the stove is in our opinion well worth installing a hot water heater...

another point, every time you heat or boil water on the stove you put steam/moisture inside the small cabin space and that requires venting; for the stove fumes and removal of moisture from the camper.

Phil
Phil,
The water heater protrudes into the interior cabinet space by about 23" or so, eliminating interior cabinet space by a couple square feet. When you open the cabinet you can see the back of the water heater. It's quite a bit of space, but I would not give up my water heater.

A hot shower during elk camp or washing sand off at the beach when it's chilly makes up for the lack of storage.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom