Oregon Caves etc.

craig333

Riley's Human
Visiting Crater Lake has been on mind for a while. Looking over the maps I'm thinking maybe hitting the caves on the way up before heading over to Crater Lake.

Craig, Oregon Caves are beautiful, but chilly inside… be prepared. You’re also close to the McKinney fire, so possible smoke issues.

Howdy Craig

Be very careful of your property and etc. when visiting that area in general.

David Graves

Craig,

If you have not been to Newberry Volcano (Paulina Lake) and seen the Big Obsidian Flow, it is very much worth the trip, and it is close to your travels.

Tony

AWG_Pics said:
Craig,

If you have not been to Newberry Volcano (Paulina Lake) and seen the Big Obsidian Flow, it is very much worth the trip, and it is close to your travels.

Tony
+1
Hard to believe that much obsidian exists. Quite a pile.

Paul

AWG_Pics said:
Craig,

Tony
Not to mention the trailhead at Little Crater CG that leads to the hot springs. :)

DavidGraves said:
Howdy Craig

Be very careful of your property and etc. when visiting that area in general.

David Graves
There is more than a little truth to this. The Illinois Valley has long been a refuge to pot grows and other activities, and they are protective of their territory. The national monument itself doesn’t fall into that description, but remote areas of the county may.

craig333 said:
So if I can't camp at the caves, any other safe places nearby?
I’ve never needed to camp in the immediate area, as we used to be able to day trip it. Look for GGs further west on the Redwood Highway and along the Smith River.

I don’t know what camping is available at the Caves. As a National Monument I’d guess there has to be something there. There are a couple USFS and maybe BLM campgrounds out that way IIRC. I don’t think I’d boondock around Cave Junction unless I had good intelligence on and reconnaissance of those spots under consideration. That typed, one should visit the Oregon Caves, I would again.

As for campgrounds, the Siskiyou NF and Medford BLM are the agencies to call about campgrounds. There is a fairly nice County campground at Lake Selmac just north of Cave Junction.

Rouge River/Siskyou NF Wild Rivers Ranger Dist: 541-592-4000
Medford District BLM: 541-618-2200
Lake Selmac: (541) 474-5285

If you can arrange it you may want to consider visiting the caves and staying at the historic lodging there.....It is an essential part of the monument itself and, for me, a wonderful part of the visit.

David Graves

I remember going in the Lava River Cave as a kid. It was surprisingly cold in there. Looks like it's a lot more developed now.

If you're going to be in that area then I'd also go to Lava Butte Cinder Cone right on the West side of Hwy 97, and to the High Desert Museum.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9175951,-121.3562567,464m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://highdesertmuseum.org/

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/deschutes/recarea/?recid=66159

I would then take the Cascade Lakes Nat'l Scenic By-Way back South to Crater Lake.

I recall camping at Crane Prairie Reservoir and the large flow to the South of it the summer that my grandparents took us to see Crater Lake for the first time.

Probably too far to consider, but my favorite lava flow to visit is the one that flows North from the North Sister and has the Dee Wright Observatory more or less in the middle of it. That whole stretch of road from Sisters to the Willamette Valley is one of my favorite Oregon drives.

Back
Top Bottom