Oregon Coast, Valley of the Giants

natjwest

Contributors
We wanted to partake in Whale Week on the Oregon coast so got a boat ride scheduled out of Depoe Bay for Friday the 25th of March. But it was canceled due to rough waves in the bar crossing. The Coast Guard puts the kibosh on boats leaving when the waves get bad. That was a disappointment since we saw no whales. But we enjoy tidepooling a lot and had fun in that regard.

We camped at site D26 in Beverly Beach campground. That's an okay park considering it's the only option in that stretch of coastline. And our site was pretty good. I'd pick that spot if you have to reserve one site unseen. D28 and D24 were good-looking too. Great skunk cabbage blooming everywhere.
gallery_2560_131_242870.jpg

We played on the beach at the campground a bit. It was an okay beach, if a bit crowded. No tidepooling.
gallery_2560_131_1183803.jpg

The next day we went up to Depoe Bay, visited the Whale Watching Center which was a decent introduction to the activity, waited for the aforementioned canceled boat, then went tidepooling at Otter Rock. Saw a seal up close.
gallery_2560_131_242559.jpg

On day three, we left the coast, heading up in to the woods to visit the Valley of the Giants "Outstanding Natural Area". It was pretty outstanding, but we were sure glad to have the camper's furnace and hot chocolate to warm us up when the extremely rainy hike concluded.
gallery_2560_16_161118.jpg

gallery_2560_16_203772.jpg

The VOG is really in the middle of nowhere. About 20 miles of gravel roads no matter how you approach it. We didn't see too many other vehicles on the road, but we did see about 15 white-butted elk right at Valsetz Lake, a huge red-tailed hawk and a pheasant. (Maybe quail? I call it a forest chicken.) The truck and camper are going to the car wash tomorrow. They really need it.

For more info on Valley of the Giants, check out this thread on pnwadventures.com.

cool trip

I had no idea VOG oregon existed. It's now on my list. I'm heading to Astoria soon and VOG will be a stop on the way home. Did you notice any camping up there?

- jw

Looks like a nice trip, thanks for sharing! Years ago the Lady and I helped with a school trip whale watching out of Monterey Bay. The weather and seas were rough, I was surprised the boat still went out. Couldn't see over the swells and didn't see any whales. A couple of the swells I was surprised the motor was able to make the climb up and over. It was working. The crew spent all the time yelling at people to get back from the railing at the bow. My job? I held the girls' hair back as they let go over the side and then the Lady got them laying down on benches and monitored. A memorable trip. Sometime its wise to not go to sea.

Did you notice any camping up there?

No there's none near the VOG, at least none legal. You could camp in the parking lot of the VOG, so long as it's a weekend, if you were desperate. There are signs galore saying "no camping" and "weekend recreational access only". The logging is ongoing in the area around VOG so you'll be competing with logging trucks during the week. Trucks that think they own the road (actually they do) and weigh a bajillion tons.

thanx- sounds like a day trip. there's a liitle county site in PC that i stay at in that area.

- jw

Back
Top Bottom