Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I've been to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument before, but it's been quite a few years, and I didn't have a camper back then...so I have a couple of questions for you who've been there more recently.

When I was there before I had a Toyota Tacoma and used a tent. I mostly camped in the tents-only, primitive, Alamo Canyon C.G and liked it much better (of course) than the main RV C.G. Motorhomes and trailers are not permitted at Alamo C.G.
My main question for anyone who's been there recently with their camper: Does Organ Pipe count pickup-campers -- like my F250 with FWC Hawk -- as a motorhome? Basically, are pickup-campers allowed at Alamo C.G.? Maybe if I brought a tent and set it up next to my Hawk?
unsure.gif

I can contact the Monument and ask them directly -- and I will, but I was just wondering what experience WTWers have had with their campers there.

I really loved it there on my first visit...took lots of photos of incredible wildflowers...saw my first desert tortoise...got lost for about an hour when l took a shortcut on a hike...touched a wild rattlesnake (yes, and I wasn't drunk, either!) without being bitten....saw illegal immigrants run across the highway into the bush -- lots of cool stuff!
biggrin.gif

This trip won't be until next year -- March, maybe, but I want to plan ahead. Thanks for any input.

Hi Mark,

When I was there last year I asked the rangers if I was legal at Alamo; he looked at my rig and said yes. I never went there to camp--it was always full--but I figured I could if I'd wanted to. You've got to register at the visitors' center first before going to Alamo so if the rules have changed by next year, I'm sure they will let you know. :rolleyes:

Travel on most of the back roads and all of the camping in the backcountry is no longer possible in Organ Pipes because of the well known boarder issues.

Thanks, Stew. When I camped at the Alamo C.G. years ago I got to the visitor center office way early before they opened to be first in line to snag any reservations that might open that day...I got lucky maybe or was just "the early bird" that catches the camp spot. I remember when I was waiting around dawn I saw a cardinal (the bird) -- the first/only one I'd ever seen.
When you (or anyone else who's had recent experience) were there was it like that -- show up early at the office to see if a reservation/spot will be open that day? Or have they changed the system?

When I was there (maybe 15 years ago) I was amazed that the border (away from the paved road) was marked by just a regular 3-wire barb-wire fence -- like a cattle fence. I assume the fence is a little burlier now...?

Last year the system for camping at Alamo was the same as you describe. I might be there in the next week or two and have more info to report after that.

I just got this reply to an e-mail I sent to OPCNM last night:
Pickup campers are perfect for Alamo. The campground isdesigned for tenters, pickup campers such as yours, and small VW-style campervans without generators. Remember, in order to stay at Alamo, you must registerfirst at the Kris Eggle Visitor Center on the first day of your intendedovernight stay.

Vivian Sartori
Division of Interpretation
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

So, that question is answered in the positive.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom