Our 2012 Hawk Shell

JimW

I wanted to share my set-up with the forum. I hope the info might help others in selecting a camper. When we were looking to replace our Pop up trailer it became clear a camper was going to be the best solution. No towing, We can store it on a dolly in the garage between trips and with the shell there was not going to be any maintenance with water tanks, etc. We took a road trip to Woodland and visited with Tom and Stan. We toured the factory floor and checked out the showroom. We were sold. A week later we placed our order and picked it up in September 2012. This is my first post so I hope the pictures come out OK.

2012 Hawk shell
Silver Spur exterior
Roll-over couch
Custom cabinet to fit plastic totes for clothes, etc.
2-12v plugs
Aux battery
Exterior wall solar plug
Fantastic fan
Curtains

The first 2 pictures show a view to the drivers side. We did a few short beach trips to figure out how we wanted to get the inside ready for extended trips. I built a raised platform that would still allow us to access the storage cubby where we put our first-aid kit, trekker poles, bike locks, etc. It holds a Truckfridge TF41 and our "sink." Now to everyone else it might look like a toilet but with a re-route of the line to wash the bowl out it makes a handy place to wash your hands, brush your teeth, etc. I was trying to come up with something and as I was throwing out our old commode from the trailer the Hawk replaced, it hit me. Water supply, check. Bowl with drain, check. Storage of gray water, check. There was my solution, so I took apart the throw away toilet to see if it would work. when it did, I ordered a new cheap toilet off of Ebay and problem solved. And yes the "regular" toilet is different so never a mix-up. That whole area works well as our "galley" From making a sandwich to firing up the Jetboil to make coffee. I need to refine a few things like the fridge strap over the handles instead of over the whole thing and the platform attachment to the top of the bed shelf but it worked well on a 7 day trip through Southern Utah. I also purchased a ZAMP portable 80 watt solar panel from Solardealz. I had tested the Truckfridge before we left by setting the battery protection switch on the Medium and setting the temp at 39 degrees.with no solar hooked up, It ran from a Saturday afternoon until Monday when I shut it down. I put a charger on the battery and it was down to 40%. Not good to go that low, but it gave me an idea of usage. I felt that if the panels replaced half of the amps they said they could, I would be ok. No problems on a trip where we stopped for 2 days at a time. Our black camp totes are made by Plano. They fit 2 abreast on the floor, are stackable and can slide in under the edge of the couch without lifting over. The last picture is my brother-in-laws rig and ours at North campground in Bryce Canyon. Overall we are very happy with our Hawk, from visiting the factory, questions answered, the build quality, everything. We anticipate many more adventures.

Attachments

• View to the back.JPG
    View to the back.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 621
  • Forward drivers side.JPG
    Forward drivers side.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 633
  • Set up with solar.JPG
    Set up with solar.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 623
  • The T sink.JPG
    The T sink.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 605
  • 2 hawks in Bryce.JPG
    2 hawks in Bryce.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 568
JimW said:
I wanted to share my set-up with the forum. I hope the info might help others in selecting a camper. When we were looking to replace our Pop up trailer it became clear a camper was going to be the best solution. No towing, We can store it on a dolly in the garage between trips and with the shell there was not going to be any maintenance with water tanks, etc. We took a road trip to Woodland and visited with Tom and Stan. We toured the factory floor and checked out the showroom. We were sold. A week later we placed our order and picked it up in September 2012. This is my first post so I hope the pictures come out OK.

2012 Hawk shell
Silver Spur exterior
Roll-over couch
Custom cabinet to fit plastic totes for clothes, etc.
2-12v plugs
Aux battery
Exterior wall solar plug
Fantastic fan
Curtains

The first 2 pictures show a view to the drivers side. We did a few short beach trips to figure out how we wanted to get the inside ready for extended trips. I built a raised platform that would still allow us to access the storage cubby where we put our first-aid kit, trekker poles, bike locks, etc. It holds a Truckfridge TF41 and our "sink." Now to everyone else it might look like a toilet but with a re-route of the line to wash the bowl out it makes a handy place to wash your hands, brush your teeth, etc. I was trying to come up with something and as I was throwing out our old commode from the trailer the Hawk replaced, it hit me. Water supply, check. Bowl with drain, check. Storage of gray water, check. There was my solution, so I took apart the throw away toilet to see if it would work. when it did, I ordered a new cheap toilet off of Ebay and problem solved. And yes the "regular" toilet is different so never a mix-up. That whole area works well as our "galley" From making a sandwich to firing up the Jetboil to make coffee. I need to refine a few things like the fridge strap over the handles instead of over the whole thing and the platform attachment to the top of the bed shelf but it worked well on a 7 day trip through Southern Utah. I also purchased a ZAMP portable 80 watt solar panel from Solardealz. I had tested the Truckfridge before we left by setting the battery protection switch on the Medium and setting the temp at 39 degrees.with no solar hooked up, It ran from a Saturday afternoon until Monday when I shut it down. I put a charger on the battery and it was down to 40%. Not good to go that low, but it gave me an idea of usage. I felt that if the panels replaced half of the amps they said they could, I would be ok. No problems on a trip where we stopped for 2 days at a time. Our black camp totes are made by Plano. They fit 2 abreast on the floor, are stackable and can slide in under the edge of the couch without lifting over. The last picture is my brother-in-laws rig and ours at North campground in Bryce Canyon. Overall we are very happy with our Hawk, from visiting the factory, questions answered, the build quality, everything. We anticipate many more adventures.
Hi Jim,

Your raised platform is also ingenious! Hope you don't mind, I may have to copy your design. I keep a bunch of stuff in the factory cubby storage area including a couple of fishing poles.

Thanks for sharing. I really dig seeing how others pack their vehicles.

Jim

Very cool set up. It seems there are more "custom" shells being ordered. I purchased an almost new used Finch custom shell and I really like the way it is configured. Like you I can store several totes inside. I also bought the sellers Ironman 4x4 50L fridge which is the exact same as yours but renamed. Ironman marks them up quite a bit though. I got a good deal on it and it fits right between the couch and passenger side portion of the camper.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Jim w.
Thanks for the pictures and congrats on joining the "family".
I also like the "toilet" as a sink. How many days gray water storage are you getting before you have to dump it?
-Jim
We only used it for brushing teeth, a quick rinse of a coffee cup or hand washing. We went 7 days in So. Utah and it had maybe 1 1/2 gals. in it. There is no trap so I put regular de-odorizer in it and we did not notice any smells.

ETAV8R said:
Very cool set up. It seems there are more "custom" shells being ordered. I purchased an almost new used Finch custom shell and I really like the way it is configured. Like you I can store several totes inside. I also bought the sellers Ironman 4x4 50L fridge which is the exact same as yours but renamed. Ironman marks them up quite a bit though. I got a good deal on it and it fits right between the couch and passenger side portion of the camper.
I'm really happy with the way the custom cabinet turned out. We have always had the duffel bags of clothes getting moved around and in the way. I sketched out a drawing based on the measurments of 2 of the clear plastic totes (LXWXH) in picture #2 and had FWC build around that. Now we each get 1 tote for clothes and they sort-of slide out like drawers and there is still a lot of room in the lower section for Camelbaks, Etc. Sounds like you scored on your camper+

Back
Top Bottom