Our 2014 Fleet Shell Build Out

Captm

I have been wanting a FWC or ATC for quite a while now. The hold back was my concerns about the weight. I went with a Flippac because at #290 it was great for the Tacoma. We used it for 18 months, building it out as needs dictated. Fridge, furnace, fresh water system , storage, solar - you get the idea.
My only problem was climbing over the tailgate getting in and out- it sucks when your half way through life with a bum back. We tried many times to incorporate visits to FWC and ATC in our travels but it just didn't work out. A local FWC dealer is now in SoCal 40 mins from our house so my brother and I went for a drive to look at the campers. I was impressed by the roominess, warm use of interior color and fabrics. Yes I knew it was just wall paper and paperbacked veneer covering some ply but I'm looking at what's under it.
A good base of 3/4 ply, aluminum structure, I wasn't interested in the variety of options because I'm "handy" as my friends say. For those that want it turn key it's available but give me a blank canvas. My wife called me to see what I found out and I told her that if she was with us we would have bought it. The fact that it's "only 300lbs" more than our Flippac sold it for me because I'm going to put the same crap inside. I know well the debate on truck size but a Tacoma is what I have and what I love, it's my toy to build as I want/need.
We took delivery on Wednesday , January 15th from American RV Company in Azusa. I could not resist the temptation to take the rest of the day off and go over the camper with a fine tooth comb.
P1030282.JPGP1030291.JPG

To be continued...

Nothing At All Wrong With That, And It Looks Great On The Taco!

I made my punch list of a few quality control items that I wanted to pass on to FWC. Nothing to stop me from digging in on the project Saturday morning, the start of a 3 day weekend.
One item that I feel is a production item is the dead bolt lock. It does not engage fully do to the vertical section of the frame of the shell blocking it. The bolt goes in less that 3/16th of an inch - the full throw of the bolt is 7/8 of an inch which when it is secured. I've been told this is "common on RVs " but I fairly certain I bought a FWC not an "RV". So you change your cut list of materials, change your jig and make four more welds.
strike plate 1.jpgJamb1.jpgDead Bolt 2.jpgdead bolt.jpg

I already have a 26 gallon water tank in my Tacoma along with a Group 31 Sears marine battery and the associated electrical components. A 1/2" water hose and 6ga duplex wire run back to the rear passenger corner of the bed.
To do list:
1. Replace the wiring and connectors with marine grade products.
2. Install the 130w Kyocera solar panel
3. Install Thetford curve porta pottie
4. Install the sink, water pump, and volume tank
5. Install the TF 65 reefer
6. Install propex heater
7. Install lift struts
8. Frame out for storage and drawers

Saturday morning arrives and first thing to do is remove the interior panels to access the wiring.

To be continued....

Hi CaptM,

Adding my congrats,,,,Now the fun begins,,,It sounds like you have lots more building skills than I do, so look forward to seeing the pictures of your build out over the coming months, as I'm always "tweaking" my Eagle with all the good ideas I get from you all.

Will we see your rig at Sugarloaf owners rally the end of April?

Captm said:
I have been wanting a FWC or ATC for quite a while now. The hold back was my concerns about the weight. I went with a Flippac because at #290 it was great for the Tacoma. We used it for 18 months, building it out as needs dictated. Fridge, furnace, fresh water system , storage, solar - you get the idea.
My only problem was climbing over the tailgate getting in and out- it sucks when your half way through life with a bum back. We tried many times to incorporate visits to FWC and ATC in our travels but it just didn't work out. A local FWC dealer is now in SoCal 40 mins from our house so my brother and I went for a drive to look at the campers. I was impressed by the roominess, warm use of interior color and fabrics. Yes I knew it was just wall paper and paperbacked veneer covering some ply but I'm looking at what's under it.
A good base of 3/4 ply, aluminum structure, I wasn't interested in the variety of options because I'm "handy" as my friends say. For those that want it turn key it's available but give me a blank canvas. My wife called me to see what I found out and I told her that if she was with us we would have bought it. The fact that it's "only 300lbs" more than our Flippac sold it for me because I'm going to put the same crap inside. I know well the debate on truck size but a Tacoma is what I have and what I love, it's my toy to build as I want/need.
We took delivery on Wednesday , January 15th from American RV Company in Azusa. I could not resist the temptation to take the rest of the day off and go over the camper with a fine tooth comb.
attachicon.gif
P1030282.JPG
attachicon.gif
P1030291.JPG

To be continued...
This is great, CaptM. After seeing your Tacoma and flippac in Valley of Fire, I will enjoy following along your build.
I was impressed with what you have done to the Taco, so I know the camper build will be top notch.

Congrats - you're going to have a great time with that thing. FYI I did not fall in love with the door/lock either, but my local FWC dealer did a great troubleshooting and improving it. You've got one nearby it sounds like, and they might be able to help.

Handy? I think I'm handy and thats more project than I'd take on. Congrats on your purchase. I often find myself at odds with people who don't like some of the stuff FWC uses "hey, they should make the cabinets out of mahogany" and such. I'm much more in favor of keeping the cost and weight down, however, I'm with you on the wiring. It would add no weight and not much cost to use marine grade components there. That said I haven't had an issue with mine yet. Just not how I would do it.

Captain,
Your pictures of the lock made me curious so I took a look at my 2012 Hawk.

x8lLtsF.jpg

My dead bolt has the full 1" throw and the interior frame has been notched.

kFFGAIF.jpg

Also it appears my door frame lip is on the inside facing the door while while yours is on the outside?

8nDMNGr.jpg

As far as interior trim materials, I wouldn't call it paper or wall paper. Mine has held up fine, the only damage inflicted by me with a heavy cooler on the radius corner by the entry. I have the chip and its not paper. Could it be better, sure but at what cost?

Will be following your build and congratulations.

Hello all, thanks for the congrats and comments. Looking at all the different mods everyone has posted really helped in my plans. I'm sure many of you will recognize your ideas.
craig333 said:
Handy? I think I'm handy and thats more project than I'd take on. Congrats on your purchase. I often find myself at odds with people who don't like some of the stuff FWC uses "hey, they should make the cabinets out of mahogany" and such. I'm much more in favor of keeping the cost and weight down, however, I'm with you on the wiring. It would add no weight and not much cost to use marine grade components there. That said I haven't had an issue with mine yet. Just not how I would do it.
It definitely about keeping costs and weight down. Funny I am using mahogany ply - ;) Jobert Okoume to be precise. Very strong, light weight but not cheap! From what I've seen of the ply that FWC is using I have no complaints. I have not come across any voids in the layers, it's straight, and light weight what more can you ask for? I just happen to have the Mahogany from my Flippac build and most likely use some of the factory ply as well.
I'm not sure yet how I'm going to finish it, but I'm leaning towards using the same wall covering and veneer that is already in use.
joubert2.jpg
Cheers

rotti said:
Captain,
Your pictures of the lock made me curious so I took a look at my 2012 Hawk.

x8lLtsF.jpg

My dead bolt has the full 1" throw and the interior frame has been notched.

kFFGAIF.jpg

Also it appears my door frame lip is on the inside facing the door while while yours is on the outside?

8nDMNGr.jpg

As far as interior trim materials, I wouldn't call it paper or wall paper. Mine has held up fine, the only damage inflicted by me with a heavy cooler on the radius corner by the entry. I have the chip and its not paper. Could it be better, sure but at what cost?

Will be following your build and congratulations.
Hi Rotti ,
Your lock set up looks a lot more secure. I wonder if FWC changed the way they do it to cut down on production time?
I'm not complaining about the use of wallpaper and paper backed veneer- it works. I really like the wall covering it appears to be water resistant and pretty forgiving on the abuse it will take. I know the veneer in mine is paper backed, I guess they changed in the past year or so.
Veneer.JPG
Not a great pic, still learning how to post :oops:

Cheers

RC Pilot Jim said:
Hi CaptM,

Adding my congrats,,,,Now the fun begins,,,It sounds like you have lots more building skills than I do, so look forward to seeing the pictures of your build out over the coming months, as I'm always "tweaking" my Eagle with all the good ideas I get from you all.

Will we see your rig at Sugarloaf owners rally the end of April?
Hi Jim,
Yes we have the rally on our calendar.
Cheers

You've got a mahogany ply thats as light and cheap as anything else? Cool. Btw, I chose mahogany by random, could as easily have said cherry or walnut or whatnot. I had serious issues with a heavy camper (honestly, I thought it might kill me) and nothing has changed since I got my FWC, I still appreciate the light weight. Its probably the most important thing.

craig333 said:
You've got a mahogany ply thats as light and cheap as anything else? Cool. Btw, I chose mahogany by random, could as easily have said cherry or walnut or whatnot. I had serious issues with a heavy camper (honestly, I thought it might kill me) and nothing has changed since I got my FWC, I still appreciate the light weight. Its probably the most important thing.
I just thought it was funny by coincidence that you picked mahogany as an example. :D Jobert is light, cheap definitely not . I agree with you on the weight - that's why I went with the shell.

Cheers

billharr said:
Looking forward to your build, mine is still on hold. I will be at the Sugarloaf Rally with my Hawk done or not. :unsure:

Remember take lots of pictures, we love pictures.

Bill
Sorry to hear about your fingers, glad to read that the healing is coming along. I've been following you build with great interest!
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom