Our Baja Trip

BBZ

Hey All
We just made it home from our Baja trip in our 14 F150 and 81 Fleet..

A perfect trip.

We crossed in Mexicali.. no issues whatsoever, did not look at the vehicle weight or anything. (we saw many, many 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks with campers).

We hit some pretty amazing places.. Agua Verde for my wifes birthday was spectacular.

I felt safer in Baja than the nights we camped in the US before crossing.. never had an issue, everyone was nice and helpful. We were lucky, no truck issues, no tire issues, camper never got ejected on some of the very rough dirt road, haha.. We spent 19 out of 21 nights in the camper and only got hotels in La Paz because we wanted showers and we wanted to check out the town.. and after crossing the border back home as it took nearly 4 hours and we wanted to drive a little further into the night (honestly, I slept much better in the camper).

All said and done.. 4556 miles and a respectable 16.2 MPG..

I did weigh the camper when we got home and we were within the Gross Vehicle weight, but just barely, thankfully our camper is very light as it doesn't have sink, furnace, cooler etc..

Definitely a trip to remember... and pretty sure we will be back soon.

Attachments

• camper cabo pulmo.jpg
    camper cabo pulmo.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 453
Howdy.

Aqua Verde !

I TOLD ya !

Glad you had a wonderful time and it sounds like you were kind considerate visitors to that wonderful place.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Howdy.

Aqua Verde !

I TOLD ya !

Glad you had a wonderful time and it sounds like you were kind considerate visitors to that wonderful place.

David Graves
Thank you!! was a highlight of the trip for sure!

We went down a year ago after a long time and still love it! Planning on a mainland Mexico trip soon! Maybe the butterfly migration or Copper Canyon or ????

Good Choice on AV. Such a beautiful and welcoming place. Hopefully you found the taco shop!

Where did you guys camp? In “town” or down at the Portito with Tio and Cascabel the pooch?

We were lucky enough to drive out of there the back way last April. Up the hill to San Jose de la Noria. Crazy climb but worth it. Washed out last August pretty badly I’ve heard from some moto guys

TT

Tomas Tierra said:
Good Choice on AV. Such a beautiful and welcoming place. Hopefully you found the taco shop!

Where did you guys camp? In “town” or down at the Portito with Tio and Cascabel the pooch?

We were lucky enough to drive out of there the back way last April. Up the hill to San Jose de la Noria. Crazy climb but worth it. Washed out last August pretty badly I’ve heard from some moto guys

TT
We camped on the north end of the beach in town.. (best choice as the wind was howling the first night).. we ate at the little palapa on the beach a few times.. only us and one other camper around.. Weather cleared up for a beautiful day for my wifes birthday.. Found the mini market and we tried our best to stimulate the local economy.. My wife likes to buy things.. haha..

Perfect! We have escaped that wind by setting up under the bluffs at the S end of the little portito beach. While at the same time people camped in the isthmus were having half the camp blown into the bay. Love that place

pollux said:
does it take long time to cross the US Border checkpoint at Mexicali?
Well.. Going in we went on Friday Morning and it was very quick, like 5 minutes. They barely looked at us, didn't check our vehicle and we had to stop and get the immigration papers. Very easy, people were helpful and nice.

Going our on a Sunday... about 3-4 hours of waiting in a long line..

Do you need a special permit to bring your Four Wheel Camper into Mexico? How about Panama or Costa Rica?

nadinez said:
Do you need a special permit to bring your Four Wheel Camper into Mexico? How about Panama or Costa Rica?
Not for Baja, but not sure about mainland mexico

Back
Top Bottom