Out of State without license in a state that requires license (reciprocity?)

chadbobb

Hello All,

First post here.I bought a FWC last weekend and have been getting it ready for some use memorial day weekend. I have cleaned and detailed the camper, added some helper springs to my 2014 Tundra, and installed a water pump to replace the hand pump. Lots of good info on here so far just from searching previous questions.

Question is: In Oregon, this camper doesn't have to be registered because the height requirements. However, I am having a hard time determining if it should be licensed in some other states I intend to travel to.

Let's say I am in a state like Washington where it appears I need to have the FWC register. I am driving around with Oregon plates on the truck and no plates on the FWC... does the FWC need to be registered to legally drive in Washington state?

Am I being overly cautious by even thinking about this? Is there an unspoken reciprocity between states where the guest state will ignore any rules I am braking in that state?

Thanks,

My understanding is reciprocity on registration is mandatory to allow interstate commerce as required in the constitution. We travel coast to coast without difficulty without camper registration. NY toll booths tried to label us commercial which is NY state law if GVWR is over 6200 pounds but we showed our Iowa non-commercial registration and NY accepted it without difficulty.

I've never had any problems and my camper isn't registered. It would be silly if you had to have registration, etc. in each different state.

Colorado is a no-license state and I have driven my ATC from coast to coast with no issues. You should be fine chadbobb.

My camper isn't licensed in Washington though it is titled and I haven't had any issues anyplace (touch wood).

As stated previously, it has to be registered in the state where you primary residence or where the primary location of the vehicle is. You don't have to worry about other states in this case. It does have to meet your state's minimums though, which mean license/registration and insurance if your state requires it. In order to the reciprocity to work you have to do the minimum your state requires.

I've been all over the west with no problems-all I have done is include it within my insurance coverage. Some auto insurances include coverage as part of the package, some do not, but I have never needed a state individual lic. for the popup!

Smoke

The opposite happened to me in Texas. I have both WA pickup plus camper plates displayed as required on my Alaskan Camper/Chevy combination.
I had a local officer follow me into a strip mall parking lot to discuss with me my 2 plates on the back of my rig, which is completely illegal in Texas.
I explained it was required in WA, and showed him the registration for each of the two. I explained it was all about revenue generation. And required to not only pay the taxes, but to display the tags.
He talked to dispatch, and then let me proceed on my way, as he shook his head in disbelief that such a thing was possible.

I just researched the vehicle registration issue for the state of Idaho because I recently ordered a new FWC Fleet. Here is what I found. If a truck camper has no permanently installed appliances such as stove, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, air conditioner, water supply, external 110 electrical hookup then it does not need to be registered.

The Idaho code section is 49-121 and a recent document from the State that clarifies and supports the above is Truck-Campers-FAQs.pdf
which you should be able to find via Google.

So if one orders just the shell and the camper has none of the named appliances, registration is not needed.

BillTheHiker said:
I just researched the vehicle registration issue for the state of Idaho because I recently ordered a new FWC Fleet. Here is what I found. If a truck camper has no permanently installed appliances such as stove, furnace, water heater, refrigerator, air conditioner, water supply, external 110 electrical hookup then it does not need to be registered.

The Idaho code section is 49-121 and a recent document from the State that clarifies and supports the above is Truck-Campers-FAQs.pdf
which you should be able to find via Google.

So if one orders just the shell and the camper has none of the named appliances, registration is not needed.
I think if you dig even deeper you'll find that there was some cut off date on when you purchased it too; so if you have an older FWC, they don't know when you bought it and can't make you license it. I've never licensed mine. I doubt they'd stop me to look and see what I have installed and when I bought it or even what age it is.

kmcintyre said:
I think if you dig even deeper you'll find that there was some cut off date on when you purchased it too; so if you have an older FWC, they don't know when you bought it and can't make you license it. I've never licensed mine. I doubt they'd stop me to look and see what I have installed and when I bought it or even what age it is.
Since my truck is licensed/registered in Idaho, that might increase likelihood I would be stopped by an officer if they notice the camper does not have a a license and sticker. While travelling in other states,I doubt I would be stopped.

My province doesn't issue a front license plate. I got pulled over in a stop check before because of it. No big deal because it is a neighbouring province and they recognized it, but I'd probably have fun in a lot of states. No camper plate, no front plate.

Bill D said:
My province doesn't issue a front license plate. I got pulled over in a stop check before because of it. No big deal because it is a neighbouring province and they recognized it, but I'd probably have fun in a lot of states. No camper plate, no front plate.
Typically, you're not going to have any issues unless you're pulled over for a traffic violation of some type, then you'll get a few questions. If you're legal in your state or province, it's doubtful you're going to be in violation of the laws where you're traveling.

AFAIK....CA does not require you to get a license plate for your in-truck camper....your tow-behind trailer, yes....your boat and boat trailer, yes.
So, with a CA residence & licensed truck, a truck mounted camper would not require a plate in CA...

If CA does not require that then any other state has to abide by the CA ruling that a CA resident, in a CA licensed truck does not need a plate on their in-truck camper even in a different state.

If your state DOES require a plate on your in-truck camper then you need it if it falls under the section of their Vec. Code if pulled over in your state. If you were pulled over in CA I doubt the officer would bother with trying to give you a ticket for something not illegal in CA even if it was illegal in a different state.

Read the Vec. Code in your state and comply with it and if you don't need a plate for the camper then you won't need one elsewhere.

Just what WS posted!

Back
Top Bottom