Outdoor shower help

fireball

Greetings all,

I just bought a 2014 Hawk last weekend. It is now home in the driveway and I've been going over everything familiarizing myself with the operations and systems and wiring and what-not.

I have tried unsuccessfully to test the outdoor shower. The unit does not have a water heater, so the sink and shower hot water sides are capped off from the inside. I have the pump on and water flows perfectly through the sink. But no dice with the shower.

I've tried with the shower head on and the shower head off. The previous owner never used it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ImageUploadedByWander The West1463187774.597162.jpg

ImageUploadedByWander The West1463187785.565304.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Just a long shot but my shower head has a built-in shut off valve. Try to rotate the end cap to see if water flows.

Paul

PaulT said:
Just a long shot but my shower head has a built-in shut off valve. Try to rotate the end cap to see if water flows.

Paul
He tried with shower head on and off...

FB...perhaps look in the cabinet at the plumbing and see if there is a cold water or pump spliter valve that is closed to the shower.

Phil

Doh! And he even provided a photo. :(. Clueless and useless in one post. Sigh.

I guess it was a really long shot. Maybe I can get Wandering Sagebrush to move my above post to the really dumb things I've done thread.

Paul

Phil has the best idea. Our 2014 has a valve on the left that closes off water to shower. My guess he has at least one valve, since no hot water heater probably doesn't have the one I have to drain water heater. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Paul...

You have no idea what a dumb statement is...just look up some of my posts for true examples! I missed what looks like a quick disconnect coupler in FB's photo since my shower is the newer single valve "boat" type..and yes the first time we used it we missed the flow shut-off on the head; wasting a lot of water.

I did something else, but still need to sort it out, to find out what is what with the plumbing and wiring inside my cabinets...I stuck my Blackberry up under and inside the cabinet spaces that a mirror and flashlight could not get to and photographed the innards of our Hawk....with some study I have a vague idea where "the music goes round and round and comes out here"....love a mystery! :D

FB...let us know what you find...

Phil

I had a good look around underneath and did not see a shutoff. There is water coming to directly behind the shower location. From the inside of the camper, inside the cabinetry, I was able to loosen the fititng/connection tying into the cold water side of the outdoor shower and there is definitely pressurized water there!

It's almost like the quick connect attachment isn't seating deep enough into the mixing valve/connection to get the water to flow out...

The camper is at my shop now but I'll try to get some better photos tomorrow.

FB...sounds like you found the restriction...if you have pressure on the camper side of the coupler and none coming out of the shower hose...either the coupler or hose is blocked..

But again, I may be missing something else that is obvious...I tend to do that.. :)

Phil

Because it was handy, I just tried an air chuck with quick connect. It fit in my outside shower connector. Get a quick connect male connector from your local hardware store, and insert it into the shower female connect and turn on the water. This would eliminate the hose altogether as a source of the problem. You can tug on the quick connect once inserted. If it does not come out without pushing the female connector release collar, it should be deep enough to release water.

Paul

This happened to me last year. I unhooked the hose connections from inside the camper and then used a small screwdriver to push the valve open. It seems like it got stuck shut with hard water deposits. On our model the access is right behind our silverware drawer.

You did this from inside the camper? From inside the cabinetry?

I guess I would have to shut off the water supply and drain everything out first.

fireball said:

I guess I would have to shut off the water supply and drain everything out first.

OK my ignorance...again...the quick disconnect coupler mounted to the camper and plumbed into your cold water line [which you found does have pressure] should have a closing device [spring?] that keeps it closed unless pushed open from the outside. right?...thus preventing the water inside the camper from flowing out of the camper without the shower hose coupler opening the closure on the camper fixture and flowing water out the hose...

What am I missing? Stick a screw driver into the fixture that you are trying to push the hose into an see if water comes out. If yes, and you have no obstruction in the hose [including hose coupler] then your couplers are not compatible...put the correct couple on the hose.

Pardon my confusion if this way off base; I have no idea how these couplers are designed.

Phil

fireball said:

Yes you need to drain the lines connected to the back of the outdoor shower unit.

Again...has anybody with issues of not getting water past the camper shower mounted female quick disconnect tried to push a rod or screw driver through that coupler from the outside to 'clear' it? Why go inside to cabinet/camper to clear the valve?

If that is possible, since I have no idea of the coupler design.

Phil

This did not work for me. I was able to hold inside of the center valve open with a small screwdriver and then turn the cold water supply on and still nothing came out.

I had this happen once. Called FWC. They suggested to smack the inner center pin with a hammer and screwdriver. I was skeptical. Gave it a strong whack and all worked fine after that. Agree with the post to lube regularly. Hope that helps.

Jason

I believe it is just a cheap quick connect that does not function properly and would replace it if there is a way to do so. Ron

Back
Top Bottom