Outside Shower - Shower Tent

marty491

Hello FWCs!

First a little history, my wife and I have tried almost every type of camping available: tent, tent trailer, hard sided trailer, back to tent trailer...
What we have learned is that we need some type of facilities for a bathroom (porta-potty will work) and we need a shower. The truck we have forces us to go with the Raven Model and we are planning on adding the outside shower.

My question: do any of you use your outside shower with a shower tent and do you have any recommendations? I see a lot of options, some looking like a lot of setup (which is why I'm leaving the tent trailer world) and some look easy to setup but might not be a good option since the grey water will just run off and make my campsite muddy (and run off not allowed in most campgrounds).

I would love to hear from people who do this and what they have learned from their experiences.

Thank you,
Marty

I have an enclosure, don't remember what brand but I rarely use it. Mostly I'm camped in places where privacy isn't an issue nor is runoff. I like using rubber flip flops instead of having something to stand on.

if you want privacy, there are a couple of options. cabela's or other similar places sell shower tents that you can stand in and hang your solar or propane shower from to shower inside. we have one in our hunting camp, and it's pretty nice, especially in the fall on windy days. another much cheaper option is a hula hoop with a shower curtain/rings and some rope for hanging.

like the poster above, i don't worry about privacy in the places we go. we rarely see anyone.

Hello FWCs!

My question: do any of you use your outside shower with a shower tent and do you have any recommendations?.

Welcome Marty - I have a brand new Cabella "Shower Shelter" that we bought for a big trip in 2003 and never used. I would sell it to you, or anyone, for a good price because, as other posters here have noted, we try to be in more remote places where we can shower (using a plain old "sun shower") without needing a shelter. That being said, we have found that the farther east you go in the US, the harder it seems to be to find those remote spots. If that becomes a problem, we look for a campsite (private, state, etc.) that has shower facilities. Good luck with your new camper - Richard

This has been a complaint I've had with FWC in the past. On many of my trips I'm moving every day and I don't want to assemble another tent and then have to dry it out and disassemble it. It makes all the sense in the world for FWC to have a couple brackets on the side or top of the roof to have some kind of quick attach privacy enclosure. I tried to get them to do something like this with my last camper and Tom told me he'd "take care of it", threw in a Cabelas style privacy ten which I didn't want, then added it to my bill which I found quite irksome.

However after having 2 campers and rarely using the outside shower in either, I think in the future I would use a Zodi shower and try to attach a tarp to my awning somehow to create a bit of privacy.

Oh I just remembered - I think it was Northstar Campers that actually had a privacy enclosure that attached to the roof of their popup. You may be able to find that at their site.

I just post a sign saying "If the sight of fat, bald, naked old men offend you RUN AWAY"

Great idea Jay! You can probably market signs like that right here on WTW . . . there are plenty of us here that fit that description :)

Like this?

fbm-typeface-mesh-hat.jpg

Oh I just remembered - I think it was Northstar Campers that actually had a privacy enclosure that attached to the roof of their popup. You may be able to find that at their site.

DD - Do you remember Kodachrome's shower rack system? It is very clever . . . light weight, unobtrusive and easy to set-up/break-down. I am not sure how to put the link up, but you can find it under the thread entitled "nother mod" from September of 2009. I plan to do the same thing as soon as I add a roof rack - Richard

DD - Do you remember Kodachrome's shower rack system? It is very clever . . . light weight, unobtrusive and easy to set-up/break-down. I am not sure how to put the link up, but you can find it under the thread entitled "nother mod" from September of 2009. I plan to do the same thing as soon as I add a roof rack - Richard

Here you go...

Nother Mod

Shower implementation starts in message #6.

I actually did something like that on my first camper. I had a Yakima rack and I made my shower curtain hanger out of PVC pipe. Kodachrome's is a bit nicer though. The issue I had with mine is that in even the slightest breeze the curtain was all over the place and the privacy factor was reduced to peep show status. I considered mine a work in progress but never returned to the idea. I'm sure with just a bit more work (adding some stake tabs at the bottom of the curtain?) it would have been great.

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas. My first instinct was to get the Oztent CR2 and just stand in a plastic tub if run off is an issue, but I really like the idea that Kodachrome has and I might try to make the same thing....of course I have to get the camper first...actually, I have to sell my pop-up trailer first first!

Thanks again!
Marty

I actually did something like that on my first camper. I had a Yakima rack and I made my shower curtain hanger out of PVC pipe. Kodachrome's is a bit nicer though. The issue I had with mine is that in even the slightest breeze the curtain was all over the place and the privacy factor was reduced to peep show status. I considered mine a work in progress but never returned to the idea. I'm sure with just a bit more work (adding some stake tabs at the bottom of the curtain?) it would have been great.

Seems like something similar, but folding, along the bottom of the curtain or simply some weight along the bottom of the curtain might do the trick?
I'm intrigued by the hoola-hoop concept. As it happens there is a company in Ojai, CA that is making hoola-hoops with a rotary joint in them so that they can be "rolled" into two loops that are ~1/4 the OD. Travel Hula-Hoop

If you are going to have the built-in outside shower, making a hula hoop or slide out curtain rack makes sense to me. I use a Zodi shower, so have choices as to where I want to set up the shower area. I decided on a cheaper version of the Oztent (don't know if they are still available?). It also has problems in a strong breeze - wants to fold up if not staked down - but is otherwise quick to set up and take down, and dries as quickly as a shower curtain would. I like being able to move the shower area to the best spot, and I like not having to maintain a hot water unit during the winter.

I did the Kodachrome mod and it works great. instead of a shower curtain, I use a 6' x 8' tarp (6' high, 8' wide). I use the shower with the camper top up. Have string loops on the top of the tarp. Slide the pipe out (I made one end shorter), slide the string loops around the pipe, and slide the pipe back in. The bottom of the tarp in a few feet off the ground. String in the bottom loops to put under rocks prevents it from collapsing in the wind. Sides of the tarp tie onto the camper. Just got the zodi extreme and it was great to use this combo at the crowded four corners folk festival last weekend. Wife was very happy! Change in the camper, step out the back with a towel wrap, close shower curtain, shower, towel back on, back into camper to change. Have tried pouring hot water into a solar shower and hanging it up but that was a pain. Zodi extreme with the sink sprayer mod was the ticket. Actually had 4 people use our "shower" like this. It was a great success. Do need the step ladder to get to the pipe with the top up, but easy to just drop the back down and get the curtain on/off as well.

I just post a sign saying "If the sight of fat, bald, naked old men offend you RUN AWAY"

Here your sign

Attachments

• Run.jpg
    Run.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 123
Hi Marty,

Sherri and I have an Outback Porta Privy and Zodi Extreme shower that I bought from Cabela's about 3 years ago. It works well when we just need a shower and we are camped in a remote or a camp ground with a little privacy . Our last long trip was a 55 day trip west and we probably used 3 or 4 times. That's not much, but it gives us that option if we want. We have used it in a couple state parks that didn't have showers and on BLM and USFS land. Most state parks and national parks will have some sort of shower facility, however. I have not used it in any national parks yet, but I have asked at the visitor's center at a couple of the lesser traveled national parks that have somewhat remote campgrounds without showers, such as Great Basin NP in NV, and they did not mind us using an outside shower.

My 2007 Grandby does not have a hot water system so there is no outside shower on the camper, but I think the porta privy and zodi shower are better in one way because it can be set up away from the side of the camper so we don't have to worry about stepping on wet ground right next to the camper. I have a threaded hose connection on my sink faucet that I attach a short length of hose to so I can easily fill the Zodi tank with about 4 to 41/2 gallons of water and heat the water with a one pound propane bottle. The Zodi tank has a strip of temperature tape on the side to let you know how hot it is. It takes about 10-15 minutes to heat the water. The porta privy set up is easy. There is even a plastic tarp for a floor so you are not standing in mud. Folding the privy back up to put into it's bag takes a little practice, however. Once the water is at the right temperature, you screw in the hand pump and attach the shower hose to the shut-off valve and place it in the porta privy. Give it a few pumps to pressurize the tank and it's ready to go. With one fill of the Zodi tank we can both take a hot shower, and Sherri has to shampoo her hair twice, and sometimes even have a little warm water left over to wash the dinner dishes with. It's amazing how little water you need to take a shower if you take "sailor showers", i.e. turn water on, wet down, turn water off, apply soap, turn water on and rinse, turn water off. The third photo below that shows the towels hanging on the porta privy was taken after we had finished our showers and you can see that there is very little water on the ground.

The porta privy dries very fast. Wwhen I was using my old school 1977 regular cab truck I transported the porta privy and Zodi on the camper roof rack. I now have a 1998.5 Dodge 2500 CTD quad cab with plenty of storage space and I transport the porta privy and Zodi in the cab.

Hope this info helps.

Buzz

gallery_302_327_141907.jpg

gallery_302_327_140016.jpg

gallery_302_327_17654.jpg

gallery_302_327_205410.jpg

My wife and I have the same exact setup and we love it. It is quick, convenient, and doesn't take up much space. It allows us to stay out in remote locations longer than we would otherwise, just due to the fact that she feels somewhat civilized.

Hi Marty,

Sherri and I have an Outback Porta Privy and Zodi Extreme shower that I bought from Cabela's about 3 years ago. It works well when we just need a shower and we are camped in a remote or a camp ground with a little privacy . Our last long trip was a 55 day trip west and we probably used 3 or 4 times. That's not much, but it gives us that option if we want. We have used it in a couple state parks that didn't have showers and on BLM and USFS land. Most state parks and national parks will have some sort of shower facility, however. I have not used it in any national parks yet, but I have asked at the visitor's center at a couple of the lesser traveled national parks that have somewhat remote campgrounds without showers, such as Great Basin NP in NV, and they did not mind us using an outside shower.

My 2007 Grandby does not have a hot water system so there is no outside shower on the camper, but I think the porta privy and zodi shower are better in one way because it can be set up away from the side of the camper so we don't have to worry about stepping on wet ground right next to the camper. I have a threaded hose connection on my sink faucet that I attach a short length of hose to so I can easily fill the Zodi tank with about 4 to 41/2 gallons of water and heat the water with a one pound propane bottle. The Zodi tank has a strip of temperature tape on the side to let you know how hot it is. It takes about 10-15 minutes to heat the water. The porta privy set up is easy. There is even a plastic tarp for a floor so you are not standing in mud. Folding the privy back up to put into it's bag takes a little practice, however. Once the water is at the right temperature, you screw in the hand pump and attach the shower hose to the shut-off valve and place it in the porta privy. Give it a few pumps to pressurize the tank and it's ready to go. With one fill of the Zodi tank we can both take a hot shower, and Sherri has to shampoo her hair twice, and sometimes even have a little warm water left over to wash the dinner dishes with. It's amazing how little water you need to take a shower if you take "sailor showers", i.e. turn water on, wet down, turn water off, apply soap, turn water on and rinse, turn water off. The third photo below that shows the towels hanging on the porta privy was taken after we had finished our showers and you can see that there is very little water on the ground.

The porta privy dries very fast. Wwhen I was using my old school 1977 regular cab truck I transported the porta privy and Zodi on the camper roof rack. I now have a 1998.5 Dodge 2500 CTD quad cab with plenty of storage space and I transport the porta privy and Zodi in the cab.

Hope this info helps.

Buzz

Back
Top Bottom