Outside shower using existing pump?

Barko1

Since the need for a shower has increased recently (got married) :LOL: I am exploring options. I have a solar shower and have rigged a hook for it off the camper roof rack but that has limits. I also have a Zodi but frankly it has been a pain in the butt, the pump runs off batteries when it decides it wants to run and replacements are not cheap. So I am thinking of using the Zodi but supply it with water from the camper main tank and the 3.1 gpm Shuflow.

Haven't planned this out but I assume I will need a T cut into the water line past the pump. run a line that will exit the camper with an easy hookup to an external showerhead and a valve that can regulate the flow (another electric faucet sort of thing??). The line from the pump would go into the Zodi which would do the heating. Sounds sort of messy but there may be a decent way to do it.

Maybe my alternative is to mount a separate pump, inside the exterior door where the fridge used to be, use that connected to the Zodi sucking water direct from the extra container I carry on the back bumper. It would also double as a pump to make transferring water from my extra water container into the campers' tank eliminating the need to hold that big assed jug on my shoulder trying to pour it into the camper. Simpler and kills two birds??

Congratulations on your recent nuptials.

I sounds like you may be planning to use your potable water for both cooking and showers. If I had enough water carrying capacity, I wouldn't mind using one source for both, but because I only have 12 gallons of potable water built into my camper, I ensure that it's only for potable use.

I agree with your alternative to mount a separate pump, connected to a separate water source.

I had one of those Zodi showers with the electric pumps...what a pain.

I replaced it with a Zodi Extreme (bug sprayer type) and it is the picture of simplicity. You wouldn't even need to get the burner as you already have a stove. Works like a charm.

Most of the time I use the FWC external shower....but there are times when I'm really staying a long time in one place that I use the Zodi Extreme and external water cans for a source of shower water.....works great.

Being single I still get to roll in the dirt when I want to-tho a jump in a lake still works when the dog will not get in the camper:LOL: at night! Come to think of it, a nice warm shower in a state or COE campground sometimes hits the spot. On the shower question, an old girl fiend once told me if I put a shower curtain around the outside shower connection I'd probably have better luck both with women and keeping clean. Using some of that precious 20 gals. in tank for a shower, makes me like the solar solar route you talk about, i'm used them when I've camped in a spot for a long time on a field project, but how are they for the overnight stop or couple of days stop? Any recommendations?

Smoke

The solar bags need some good sun time so it isn't as easy when traveling, especially if cool or cloudy and the bag isn't getting the rays. I'm now thinking I will get a little 12v transfer pump, stick in under the external cover where the fridge used to be, run a hose to the extra water container I carry on the rear bumper, and the outlet can be for the shower or to transfer H2O to the camper tank. I also carry a collapsible canvas bucket which I could just fill with stove warmed water and leave the Zodi out of the equation altogether. Simple = better.

I'm now thinking I will get a little 12v transfer pump, stick in under the external cover where the fridge used to be, run a hose to the extra water container I carry on the rear bumper, and the outlet can be for the shower or to transfer H2O to the camper tank.

Let us know about the 12v transfer pump. I carry two 5 gallon water cans (military type) and am looking for an easy way to transfer them to the campers main water tank.

Someone posted up this shower a while back and I think I'm just going to go this route. Let solar work on the sunny days, warm some water on the stove and pour it in on the others. Few pumps and you're showering w/o trying to rig up a pump/plumbing.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/index.htm

Someone posted up this shower a while back and I think I'm just going to go this route. Let solar work on the sunny days, warm some water on the stove and pour it in on the others. Few pumps and you're showering w/o trying to rig up a pump/plumbing.

The Zodi Extreme is exactly like that one with the exception that it is made of metal and can go directly on the stove. The Zodi is a lot more expensive though and if I had it to do over I'd get the cheaper one.

The Zodi Extreme is exactly like that one with the exception that it is made of metal and can go directly on the stove. The Zodi is a lot more expensive though and if I had it to do over I'd get the cheaper one.

Yeah I know. I didn't really see the need to actually heat up the unit itself (expect maybe on a fire but then it gets sooty) verse just heating water in a pot and this plastic black unit would adsorb more solar heat.

That is the one I have been considering also.

One problem though, not having been in the Navy, can one actually take a shower with 2 gallons of water? A wife?
Also, I couldn't see what the capacity was on the Zodi, 2 gallons also?

I like the Duckworks though, especially the price.
Has anyone actually used one?

While camp showering yeah I'd think you'd want to limit things down in shower volume (otherwise you'll burn a lot of water). Wet yourself down, shut off water, soap up, then rinse. :)

One problem though, not having been in the Navy, can one actually take a shower with 2 gallons of water? A wife?

The Zodi looks to be twice the size of the other shower. The only advantage that might warrent the extra cost is the Zodi is a completly self-contained system (model 8170). It has it's own burner, you attach a 1 lb. propane cylinder and the water is heated to 100 degrees in about 5 minutes. Here's the info from their website:

Extreme Series Water HeaterFeaturing stainless steel construction for extra durability and hand pump operation for self-contained use, the Zodi Extreme has been the #1 hot shower of choice for back country use for years.
The powerful 10,000 BTU steel stove completes the extreme as truly a self-contained portable hot shower. Includes water temperature indicator, showerhead and convenient on/off control. Great for camping & hunting.

Features
• Heats to over 100º F in about 5 minutes
• Handy thermometer displays water temperature
• 1 piece hand pump pressurizes system without batteries
• 6 foot shower hose with on/off control valve for extra convenience
• No need to hoist - sealed hand pump pressures system in seconds
• Completely self-contained! Enjoy hot showers anytime, anywhere
• Sets up in under 1 minute
• Simple to use - just fill with water and place on rugged stove
• High quality stainless steel construction will never rust
• 10,000 BTU stove collapses for transport and doubles as a cooking stove
• Stainless steel burner construction for extra durability

Zodi Extreme0001.JPG

If you don't need all these features then you are better off with the cheaper one.

The Zodi is a good option if you have several people who need to shower. When I'm in a situation where I'm camping with other folks and everyone needs a shower...I use an Outback Porta Privi enclosure which sets up in seconds and let everyone else use their own propane and water. That is when the Zodi really shines.

I'm only in that position a couple of times a year....all the rest of the time the smaller less expensive shower would be just fine.

Let us know about the 12v transfer pump. I carry two 5 gallon water cans (military type) and am looking for an easy way to transfer them to the campers main water tank.

I bought the Harbor Freight transfer pump. You can connect a female garden hose fitting to both the in and out, or a male 3/8" fitting. Since I removed the fridge a couple years ago I installed the pump just inside the external door that provided access to the guts of the fridge. There is enough room in there for me to connect a hose for input and output. I still had the fridge wires sitting in there so I hooked it up with a little switch I had. I plan on putting the shower tent right next to the camper/pump from which one can reach through an opening in the tent and switch the pump on and off. The input hose will simply run about 5' into the water carrier that lives on the back bumper. The output I haven't quite figured yet, a piece of garden hose would be fine for filling the camper H2O, not sure what I'll use for the shower head or whether I'll need to install a valve to regulate, I assume so. I'll play with it tomorrow and report back.

While camping, I can get mostly clean by using a bar of soap, a wash cloth and less than a gallon of water. This does not include cleaning my hair, which I keep short, and I usually wash only twice a week.

If your wife can take a navy shower you are blessed.

If your wife can take a navy shower you are blessed.

Yeah.....I don't think I'm blessed :(

Yeah.....I don't think I'm blessed :(

Maybe it is still the honeymoon phase but my new bride says she is fine with a Navy shower (no sailers) and she prefers the backcountry to developed campgrounds :D .

I think I have this thing working. Used 3/8 line to suck the water from my accessory jug to the pump and the same type line to a shower head that has a valve installed. The pump doesn't always like priming itself if the water supply is several feet below but once it starts it flows well. I'll be testing it more in the desert next week.
P1050599-S.jpg

P1050600-S.jpg

P1050602-S.jpg

I've looked a lot at that duckworks shower. Sure looks nice but not sure I have a good spot for it inside the camper. Our current setup works ok and supplements the solar shower by using longer tubing to wash outside. Haven't figured out how to heat up the water with this system but have poured hot water in the solar shower.

Attachments

• DSC01265 (800x600).jpg
    DSC01265 (800x600).jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 134

Just back from a 2500 mile 11 day trip through the 4 major North American deserts and a quick trek through S. Utah thrown in for good measure :) The transfer pump worked great!! I carry an extra 7 gallons in a tough Reliance jug I buy online from Walmart, sits on the drivers side of the rear bumper, and I could pump water from there directly into the Grandby's tank. I would refill that jug as needed and theoretically could fill it using the transfer pump if I ever needed to. So when the camper tank ran low I'd just transfer without ever moving the jug off the bumper. The output side of the transfer pump has the valve and spray nozzle so it doubled as the shower and did well. For a shower I'd just pour cold water into a canvas collapsible bucket, add a pot of hot water, regulated flow some with the valve, and could do a Navy shower by just turning the pump on and off with the switch I installed next to the pump. Having a nice warm pressurized shower out in Death Valley was a nice plus. Not having to stand on a stool with a 35# jug of water that liked to run down my arm was even better. I'll post a few pictures of the trip soon. I was able to mount the pump as pictured because I had removed the fridge for a relocated 12v but all that 12v pump needs is a connection and could be more portable that what I did. Highly recommended, I think I spent less than $40.

use my way at your own risk.!

we have always used a 5 gal solar shower when traveling i lay it on the dash on the passenger side
seems like there is always enough sun hitting it to heat it up.
even when its cold and using the heater the air coming out of the dash vents also heat it up!
have used it this way in a chevy,toyota,ford.did not work in vw van dash was to small.

i've always tried to keep everything simple,so this works for us.
two of us can get complete showers including hair.

drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,lqhikers

I'm with you Les. Sun shower has worked for us. And if it's too cold heat water and swab down. Strike another blow for KISS

Back
Top Bottom