Overland Expo West Must see sites along the way?

craig333

Riley's Human
I'm seriously thinking about attending this year. Never been before. I'd likely head down 395 to 40. I'll take a week off so no need to drive it all in one day. 395 is easy but what stops along 40 are must sees or even just a good spot to camp along the way? Or should I even skip 40 and take a different route?

Talk to Stan at FWC.

I know when Tom owned the company, he'd have the guys travel to different places along the way home (Woodland, CA) after OX.

Friday and Saturday are the big days at OX. Bug out early on Sunday. You will have seen everything and many vendors begin packing up Sunday morning and are on the road by noon.

If you haven't done the North Rim of the GC, I'd highly recommend that AFTER OX. The North Rim usually doesn't open until around the weekend of OX-West. If you want a stunning adventure, reserve a camp site (only 3) at Point Sublime, west of the NR Visitor Center. About 17 miles of single track that takes about 2 hours to traverse non-stop. But, too many scenic stops along the way to drive non-stop. You need to reserve a camp site now!

OX-West is a blast. We've been to two down at Mormon Lake and one near Flagstaff. Its a great time, crowded and busy!

I'd look at going to Toroweap on the way there then across 89 out of Kanab and down House Rock Valley Rd to 89A, nice campsite overlooking Badger Rapids in Marble Canyon.

If traveling back along I-40 you could visit both:

1. The Mojave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association (mdhca.org) in Goffs, CA., home to a vast library of resources and info about the region. Built by Dennis Casebier (Mojave Rd. Guide author) and his late wife Jo Ann, you’ll find the restored schoolhouse and adjacent depot along with other artifacts.

2. The Kelso Depot, built in 1924 and now used as the Visitor Center for Mojave National Preserve. Beautiful building! Of course, closed right now due to the gov’t shutdown...

Both are doable side trips off the main highway. Plenty of info available for both, and both have access to the Mojave Rd. if you’re so inclined.

From 395 I'd take the 136 to the 190 to the 178 to Harry Wade Rd.; side trip to Saratog Springs, then to the 127 and down to Baker. From there Kelbaker Rd to Kelso; side trips to the Lava Tube and over to the dune if desired, Kelso-Cima Rd to Morning Star Mine Rd. (Camping at Midhills cmpgrnd is a good option), to Ivanpah Rd. to Nipton Rd. (definitely stop in Nipton General Store) which becomes NV 164 to Searchlight. Down I-95 to Christmas Tree Pass Rd. (side trip to GrapevineCyn Petroglyphs), to NV163 to Laughlin. Bullhead Hwy to AZ 153 to Oatman, AZ 10/Rte 66 to I-40 almost at Kingman.
But that's just me.....

I've been over all of that, some many times, except for that very last stretch from Oatman to I-40. That which I have been over I'd not hesitate to drive our truck/camper over, and the last stretch is supposedly old Rte 66 so it should be OK in camper. Oatman itself is kinda tight with a big vehicle, mostly because of the two & four legged jackass's in the road. :)

While you're there, "Tiffany" apparently will be giving a speech at OE-W. My bet is it would be worth the time.
https://advrider.com/tiffany/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=01_13_2019

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
2. The Kelso Depot, built in 1924 and now used as the Visitor Center for Mojave National Preserve. Beautiful building! Of course, closed right now due to the gov’t shutdown...
Pardon me, being an easterner these are some strange sites. I just did a maps.google.com search for the depot and this is one of the posted images that came up. In the background spread out are what looks like, for lack of a better description, puffs of sand. One of them on the left of the image appears in a definite funnel shape. Maybe these are dust devils?

https://goo.gl/maps/wh9Q5vjETzR2

Some interesting ideas. Part of the reason I posted up early so I'd have time to research, look at maps and so forth. Sure hope they approve my vacation. Another reason to plan early. Get my request in before everyone else.

I am defenitely going this year and would love to be near the booth. Hell I can even help/volunteer and do something necessary if need be.

I'm planning to be there, but I'm coming from the east.

tentatively I am stopping at:
Somewhere in AR or OK
Palo Duro SP in TX
Salinas Pueblo Missions, NM
Chaco Canyon, NM
Mogollon Rim AZ
parts of Escalante, UT
Unsure of more places, I am going to take 3-4 weeks and do a lot of wandering.

I am interested in staying at the FWC booth, but I will have my 2 dogs with me (well behaved GSP's).

How early do I need to purchase the weekend pass with camping? Fortunately I missed the mud fest at Expo East in the fall because I procrastinated.

If you want more dispersed camping, there are a host of great places along Wood Mountain Road (FSR 231) which is to the west of the park. You can take 532 to the park where Expo is held. (Last year, i was walking my dogs off 231 and drove out 532 passing through the Expo checkpoint at highway 89 and the long line of campers waiting to get in.)

If you want to avoid the parking and don't mind walking, there are two trails into Fort Tuthill Park (site of Expo) from the western border (FSR 9113B and 9014L, first is a power line and the second is the old rail bed that cuts by the archery range and the Air Force rec camp).

I second 231 west of the event as that area has become my go-to for an easy escape from the valley heat in the summer. If you do it right there is amazing camping at the end of 527 (I think) right on the edge of the rim overlooking Sedona. Spooked up a black bear out there in October.

If I opted to tow the Jeep I'd think about camping elsewhere. Probably not going to do that. I can handle crowds as long as I don't make a habit of it. Long walks from the camper to the event are good for the dog anyway.

Hey Machinebuilder coming from the east

You may want to checkout,
Acoma Sky City, which is a Native America pueblo, you take a tour bus to the top of the Mesa and you can hike the nature trail back to the Museum. It is about 20 miles east of Grants, NM.
El Morro National Monument, which is about an hour south of Grants, NM, great camping and hiking. It has Anasazzi Ruins, that are accessible via a short but steep hike to the top of the rim and the trail then circles around to the base of a huge cliff face where
"Ancestral Puebloans, Spanish and American travelers carved over 2,000 signatures, dates, messages, and petroglyphs."
Of course its a Federal area, so the Govt Shutdown would effect it, if still happening.

It you time it right you could do both in the same day and then camp at El Morro. If you only have time for one do El Morro.

Of course if you are an Eagles fan, then a 10 minute stop in Winslow, AZ to stand on the corner is worth it. Stretch your legs, grab a cup of Joe and see the building size mural of a woman in a flat bed Ford, while the song plays.
Travel safe

Back
Top Bottom