Overland Expo?

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
Anyone here going? I'm going to try and make it. The only thing stopping me is if I get scheduled for back surgery thru the VA at that time.

Anyone here going? I'm going to try and make it. The only thing stopping me is if I get scheduled for back surgery thru the VA at that time.

Been twice..never again.

Plan is to go for the first time on Saturday. According to the plan my friend Lars and I will be the only folks there to have arrived there truly Overland. My friend's conveyance is the same model as the attachment. It will necessitate ultra-light Overlanding, but talk about a new perspective on seeing the country!

Attachments

• vansRV-6.JPG
    vansRV-6.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 104
If I have time I may go. Would like to do it once. May is tough though. We'll see what happens.

Four Wheel Campers will be attending again.

We will have 4 - 6 campers on display.

Our Colorado dealer & our Jackson Hole dealer will be there too.

I went to the very first Overland Expo, but it was small and just getting started.

The show is SO much bigger now.

: )

I will be going and hope to meet some WTW folks there in person. I plan to camp in my new Fleet from Thursday afternoon until Monday morning.

This will be my first Overland Expo and I have gone all in with the full package. As I'm new to the whole thing of 4WD camping (hope to have my camper before March is over) this seemed like a great chance to learn some of the things many of you "old timers" may already know.

I've registered for classes such as Overland Driving Skills, How to Weld in the Field, Recovery Techniques without a Winch, Compass Skills plus Field and Map Bearings, Overland Conservation Driving, Basic Winching, Recovery Techniques with a Winch, Basic Wilderness Survival, 4WD Maintenance in the Field, Solar Power A to Z, and Advanced Tire Repair. There were many other classes that I just couldn't fit in, plus seminars, demos and the exhibits.

It will also be an opportunity to see how long my compressor refrigerator will run on two house batteries with no recharging :p

After the expo I'll take a scenic route home with camping and backroads, perhaps the North Rim. If anyone wants to meet-up, message me. If anyone is interested in a few days travel starting Monday maybe we can start a thread in Trip Planning.

Here is aerial view of the show from last year.

:)

According to the plan my friend Lars and I will be the only folks there to have arrived there truly Overland. My friend's conveyance is the same model as the attachment. It will necessitate ultra-light Overlanding, but talk about a new perspective on seeing the country!

Attachments

• overland.jpg
    overland.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 139
I somehow doubt the natives will stand for our putting down right there. It would be awesome though. :)

Why?

Can't speak for Bob, but we went last year and left early. The event itself is cool and there is no better opportunity to check out all the neat vehicles and equipment. I had signed up for the skills driving course but after watching other vehicles on it I chickened out. Made the excuse that I wasn't sure my mostly stock Tundra was up to it. In hindsight I wish I'd at least tried. What turned us off was the camping situation. It is pretty much a free-for-all with you parked in the middle of a crowd of several hundred other vehicles. The whole idea of our camper is we like to get away from crowded places. It was just out of our comfort zone. Maybe Bajaxplorer has the right idea - camp a little ways off and visit during the day.

Yeah but you kept me from getting my ass kicked!

You wouldn't have gotten your ass kicked with Ted, Marc, me, and Steve on your side :)

I wasn't planning on going.....but if you guys are promising cage matches, gang fights and tequila....I'm in. :D

WTW against the world!

We'll be camped nearby in the forest and spend saturday at expo (same as last year).

I don't want to cramp anyone's style or impose on anyone's privacy, but if you have a suggestion or tips on camping near the expo, I'd appreciate it. I'm not at all familiar with the area.

In looking at the aerial photo of the expo I'm now thinking I might want an option other than the on-site camping. Is dispersed camping allowed in the national forest there?

Thanks,
Bill

I don't want to cramp anyone's style or impose on anyone's privacy, but if you have a suggestion or tips on camping near the expo, I'd appreciate it. I'm not at all familiar with the area.

In looking at the aerial photo of the expo I'm now thinking I might want an option other than the on-site camping. Is dispersed camping allowed in the national forest there?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
There is dispersed camping all around the area. There is private property (ranches) as well, but they are usually fenced and posted pretty well. Last year we camped off FR91, I'm thinking in the area of N34 50.606, W 111 26.826, about 4-5 miles from expo (by roads). There was plenty of room, flat forest, firewood. I'll have to locate my gps track to see where exactly. We will probably use same spot this year. You would be welcome (if you turn in by 10pm, and don't have a GENERATOR, lol). A lot of people camp down FR219 not far from Mormon Lake Rd. There is also an area called Navajo Spring on FR219A that has a trail down to the expo that is less than a mile away.
BX

ps, I saw your website, my wife is a bird lover/spotter (nut) and I will show her your site, she'll be impressed.

Back
Top Bottom