Overnighting at Walmart?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
In two days I am planning to leave the East Coast and head West on my first expedition with my FWC Hawk.

One option when heading West is to take advantage of free overnight parking offered at many Walmarts. Overnighters usually group together at a distant area of the parking lot.

Is it okay to raise the roof of the popup when overnighting, or is this a violation of Walmart rules?

The two of us won't fit on the dinette bed, so we have always popped up in Walmarts. You will see slide-outs out on the bigger rigs as well. I wouldn't put out an awning or sit outside in camp chairs, though.

Though i try to avoid them I've raised the roof in a Walmart parking lot on a few occasions and never had an issue.

A friend once told me that areas striped in white are OK for over nightingale and areas in yellow are day use only.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app

I also try to avoid them, however... a few times... I've "camped" at a Walmart. The other campers told me to just go in, and find the manager to let him know what your rig looks like, kind of a courtesy thing, I think. Hopefully it's not the night they use the machine to sweep the parking lot, all night long. :oops:

We've stayed at many "Camp Walmart" sites over the years, but in truth... I hate them.

Those along major routes will typically have semi trucks coming in or leaving at odd hours, and they usually let the diesels idle for endless hours. Freeway traffic noise can be a bother as well. I've also had issues with pan handlers at a Walmart near a recreation area. All that said, we still will stop at them for a night. They are convenient. You have a place to restock the camper, bathroom facilities, and are relatively safe.

Be aware there are some that do not allow overnighting. Walmart sells a road atlas that has locations, and perhaps information on camping. The Internet is helpful, too.

Safe journeys!

For what's it's worth, we've spent half a dozen nights on the east coast at Cracker Barrels, and they are usually much better than Walmarts with respect to traffic and noise. They are also very accommodating with most venues having specific RV parking if needed. If both exist, I would definitely shy away from Walmart. We have also used Cabellas and Bass Pro shops, which both also have specific RV sleeping areas.

-

Never have stayed at a Walmart that wasn't noisy. Many are 24 hour and are near noisy streets. Had to have earplugs just to get a so-so amount of sleep. Only one near Magic Mountain had signs saying no RVs. Only if I am desperate do I go to one.

Get the AllStays app for your phone. Our first trip to the east coast we stayed in a few Walmarts, including the one with the all night street sweeper. Second trip with the AllStays app we always found better free or no cost camping. BLM, Corps of engineers, City and County Parks.

I have found sometimes going to an industrial area, with auto repair shops, can be a good place. Arrive if you can before they close, and let them know what you want to do. then let them know you will be like an "extra guard on duty", and will call for the Coppers if anything looks amiss. No matter where you "Stealth" camp, always be clean, and do not block customer traffic, or entrances and exits. Also, let them know how much you appreciate their hospitality....

Back
Top Bottom