(Owner Build) 1981Grandby to Hawk, maiden voyage / shakedown

Super Doody, gotta love that handle!

Thanks for checking in. I don't watch that much tv, so I had to look up who Steve Rinella is, and I think it would be fun to hear some of his stories.

I'm not sure if there is any one person that most inspires me, but certainly many over the years. My love of wildlife was spawned n my teenage years by watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. So much so, I decided on that for a career path, and learned what had to be done to work in the wildlife arena. That led to a degree in Zoology, with emphasis on field biology. One of the best times of my life. Loved learning so much about the animal universe, it was great.

To your questions on meat handling. I let the meat age until I can get it into the freezer, which is as soon as possible. I usually go on the elk hunt the second week of October, and while it might be plenty cold, to even below freezing in the mountains, back at home it can be warm. I don't have access to a walk in cooler, so I am really under the gun to get things taken care of quickly as possible. I have a refrigerator in the garage, so often, I start the processing by getting the meat onto trays in the fridge first, then I am pretty particular to make sure it's clean of hair and grit, then I typically cut steaks from the back straps, roasts from the hind quarters large muscles, and then stew meat, fajita cuts, and lots of ground burger.

To give perspective, I got home this year on Friday night, after the two days of packing the meat out. I had to bone out the meat up there, because I was alone, and it was just too heavy to pack otherwise. Once home, I spent Saturday and Sunday, cleaning, processing, and wrapping. Then several more nights after work till finished the following Friday. What we don't want to eat gets ground up and frozen for our dog, so there's very little waste.

We have our own grinder, and I add pork fat, or boneless country pork ribs, at about 5-8%, to help keep it together, and to add flavor and cooking fat. We use the burger in place of anywhere you'd use beef hamburger. I like to marinate the steaks in whatever concoction I come up with, and throw it on the grill. As I said earlier, I love roasts. We use a crock pot to cook the roast slowly, add a packet of French onion soup on top, maybe an onion, let it go till very tender. Mashed potatoes, and use the drippings from the roast, with beef bouillon, add a bit of water and corn starch to thicken as desired, and your set. There's zero fat in the roast, so the gravy helps keep it moist, but I'll tell you what, it is awesome! I'm going to make some summer sausage this year, and maybe jerky, but never tried either before.

Sorry so long winded, I tend to be that way.

Take care, and let me know if you have any other curiosity questions.

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Hi PB, Steve is a writer first. Love his books. You should check them out.

Thanks for the detail description on meat prep and cooking. Do you ever ate any meat right after the hunt like the liver or heart which doesn't require aging ?

Jim

Thanks guys!

I forgot earlier to mention I had a little visitor when I had left the meat hanging in a tree for two nights. The first night I didn't have bags to cover things, and I found some fresh tracks the next morning. I rarely have had any problems with animals, like coyotes, getting after the meat left hanging. I don't think they like the human odors left behind, at least for awhile. Plus coyotes are just very skittish and wiley. They can surely be hungry, but they'll still pass on anything they don't like the looks of. I even had one coyote let me know of his displeasure from about a hundred yards away, one of the afternoons I was working on loading the pack at the sight. I never saw him, but he let out a few short bark/ howls to show a little attitude. Even that night, the coyote didn't come by to have a nibble.

Anyhow, the tracks I'm referring to were smaller tracks that were left, and at first I wasn't sure what they were, but on day two, there was no mistake, when they went up a tree, and by the long strides hopping through the snow.

American Pine Marten!

He was shy the first day, only stopping by to sniff things out, but on day two he was all over the place, and this time tried to help himself to a meal by knawing a whole through one of the bags. I didn't see this one, but did see one in this mountain range quite a few years back. They're beautiful little critters! That one came running down a log to check me out, then decided otherwise and was gone.

Here's the tracks around the tree, and YouTube video I found, to give you a look at one of these guys if you've never heard of them before. Wish I would have taken some more pictures of all the tracks he left.. One of the give aways on what the animal was, was the fact the tracks went up a tree, and they were much too big for a squirrel, and to small to be a fox or coyote.

I left a good sized portion of meat behind on a log, for when he returned.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1478215259.196339.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1478215283.054826.jpg

Here's the video so you see what they look like.

Sooper Doody, I don't eat the meat fresh, I need a little time to go by first. My father used to cook up deer liver with onions on the skillet, along with fried potatos, and I certainly liked it back then. We have the potential for chronic wasting disease here, so that's one of the reasons I'm careful. I like to inspect the meat, while processing, and make sure I don't see anything abnormal. I had a question on this one, and took some samples in to the fish and game lab, but was given a thumbs up, so okay to consume.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Amazing adventure! hopefully one day soon my freezer will look like that. cant wait! Nice trip report and great pics.

Poky again your threads/posts are new to me.
Don't see how I missed them,but glad I found them.
I like your hunting spirit and concern for the animals you hunt. And all that Elk meat sure looks good.
I don't hunt myself any more,actually it's been over 40 years since I bird/deer hunted.
I do miss the being out of doors part of the hunt ,so now I just spend that time watching/photographing them.
I am a fisher so that still keeps me close to the animals and outdoors.
Usually that type of activity is what we base out camper trips on.
Thanks again for all the time you have spent on posting.
Frank

I was not offended by your photos and I am a vegetarian. You harvested cleanly and will consume the meat. This is much better than eating packaged meat from the store. Also, sportsmen's tags pay a good share of the funds that support our public lands not to mention their vocal support. I grew up on venison, rabbit, bear and duck. We were poor so the meat was welcome. Much better than tuna noodle casserole. Congrats on making your goals of completing the camper enough to camp plus your elk.

Back
Top Bottom