Owyhee Float May 2011

BillM

Rafted the Owyhee in OR from Rome to Leslie gulch from 5/23-5/27. River was way higher than average 4500 CFS versus 1000 CFS median flow. First day was overcast rainy and cool. Unfortunately a guy on a commercial trip about 2 hrs ahead of us died in the second significant rapid, made for a sombre day and we resolved to scout every significant rapid thereafter. The sun came out in the evening as we made camp.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 187
Day 2 was the only fully sunny day we had. Had a great float, soaked in a riverside hotspring and then camped and hiked up to the canyon rim.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 150
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 142
Day 3 was cloudy with some big rapids and deep canyons.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 147
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 131
Day 4 we floated past some cool towers and the first takeout at Birch Creek (mile 45). Everybody else on the river took out at Birch but we pushed on toward Leslie Gulch (mile 67). The First Waterwheel was at Birch and we camped next to another wheel downriver.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 134
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 134
Day 5 we hit the slackwater of Owyhee Reservoir and had to oar 12 miles to the takeout at Leslie Gulch. 8 miles in there is an awesome hotspring that we soaked in, made the reservoir pull worth it. We passed more great rock towers on our way to the takeout.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 135
Drove home on 5/28 through much snow and rain.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 116
BillM, looks like you had a great trip. Whitewater, remote river, hot springs, float trip, snow, how could you go wrong? Thanks for the trip report!

BillM, looks like you had a great trip. Whitewater, remote river, hot springs, float trip, snow, how could you go wrong? Thanks for the trip report!

Ski3

It was great and we got lucky on the weather, it could have been a lot wetter and colder (like memorial day weekend was). I know you enjoy a good hotspring so I highly recommend you visit the one on Owyhee Reservoir if you ever get the chance. The official name is Echo Rock. I have to say it just edges out my favorite NV spring for best ever. Like that one it is left dry and clean when you leave so there is no algae. It fills enough to soak in 15 minutes and starts overflowing at 30 minutes, temp is right at 105-106. The location and views are spectacular.

Ski3

It was great and we got lucky on the weather, it could have been a lot wetter and colder (like memorial day weekend was). I know you enjoy a good hotspring so I highly recommend you visit the one on Owyhee Reservoir if you ever get the chance. The official name is Echo Rock. I have to say it just edges out my favorite NV spring for best ever. Like that one it is left dry and clean when you leave so there is no algae. It fills enough to soak in 15 minutes and starts overflowing at 30 minutes, temp is right at 105-106. The location and views are spectacular.

:) When I read this I brought the Lady over to see your photos, then we had to bring up the TOPO! program and explore the Owyhee area. Thanks for the tip, Bill!

Awesome place. Thanks for sharing your trip. Were the paddle wheels for gold mining? I am glad you made it safely through the rapids.

Awesome place. Thanks for sharing your trip. Were the paddle wheels for gold mining? I am glad you made it safely through the rapids.

Actually they were for irrigation. It's hard to see on the reduced size pics but there are buckets on the sides of the wheel that would pickup water and dump it into a trough which irrigated fields above the river. The area where the wheels are was homesteaded by Basques around the 1900's. They must have been incredibly independent people, the area is very isolated now, it must have been like being on the moon then.

I am looking for others wanting to do this trip, it is running now about 800cfs.
I will be in a kayak that can carry all I need.
Anyone interested and able?

Eric

Back
Top Bottom