Paint the roof?

longshanks

My '03 Grandby weathered a Colorado hail storm before I bought it from previous owner, and the roof is in sad shape with multiple debts and missing paint where the hail hit. I recently noticed water leaks starting
in the corners, and I think I've identified the culprit to be cracking caulk around the edges of the camper. I removed old caulk with a heat gun and replaced with lap sealant. So far, no further leaking after this fix.

So, assuming I've fixed the leak I would like to re-paint the roof. A member here suggested raptor bed liner but it is about $400 in Canada... Local option is Plas T Cote aluminum coating but regardless of what I do, I don't want to have to peel off and re-coat in 5 years...

Any suggestions? Paint it or leave it?

Thanks

I have used Glossy White Rust-Oleum (oil-based enamel) paint from the hardware store in the past for touch ups.

If you pressure wash the camper roof, make sure the roof is really clean, let it dry completely, and then apply a coat of this paint, it should last for quite some time.

The glossy white is almost a perfect color match and the oil based paint seems to stick REALLY well.

It is the quick, easy, and inexpensive way to do it, but at the same time it looks great.

:)

Attachments

• Rust-Oleum Glossy White.jpg
    Rust-Oleum Glossy White.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 155
When I had my vinyl sides replaced, the guys at ATC agreed with me. I had the ugliest roof known to campers everywhere. The previous owner coated it with some type of alum. crackle paint (?) or something. It's peeling in spots and where I replaced all the screws there are spots on it now. Doesn't leak though.

A full service RV place should be able to install a rubber roof on the camper. That would hide the dents, stop any leaks, and it's repairable/replaceable if need be. It would also mitigate any further hail damage to the aluminum roof.

This got me thinking about hail damage. I own a few rental properties and recently have had a few roofs replaced due to hail damage. Since campers (like cars) are most likely insured, I wonder if you could make a claim against hail damage? If your car was damaged in a hail storm, it's covered under your insurance. Why not your camper?

The Rustomeium works well. I use the black over rusty metal primer on my truck frames and other outdoor equipment. it holds up well outdoors. Applied with a thin roller or foam roller it will turn out well. After washing wipe the whole roof with Mineral spirits or acetone before painting.

Kmcintyre, I'm thinking your grey crinkle was likely fibered roof coating. It's used on old moble homes and such as a sealant sun reflector. Gets ugly with age. Someone used it on the roof of my enclosed car hauler.

Ntsqd,

Sounds very interesting. If you don't mind me asking,
What does the roof look like now - any change in the appearance?
What product did he use - the additive or the premixed exterior house paint?
Just curious. Thanks.

If you get into back areas with low hanging limbs and other snags, you won't want a rubber roof. I have had to repair my dads motorhome roof due to branches snagging and tearing the roof. Some small tears were fixed with just a dab of 3m 5200, larger tears I used fabric from inflatable boats and glue specific for that fabric.

Thanks for all the great input guys. After thinking it through, I've decided against using bedliner or rubber paint on the roof. Up here in Canada the range of options for those products are fairly limited, and I just don't want anything too permanent, or something that I'll have to potentially re-visit in 5 years or so. I should be able to get my hands on the rustoleum paint and I think I'm going to give it a try. Since re-caulking most of the rim seam along the edge of the camper the roof's fine again. But it sure is ugly (see photo).

I have a boat rack all fabbed up and hope to add solar next year, so a nice simple paint job should be compatible enough with those additions.

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 760
EDR,
The roof is white and he bought one of their paints, but beyond that I don't know much. He does have a whole lot more roof than the typical pop-top camper.
i-PHTDPbK-L.jpg

Longshanks,
If you're going to paint the roof why not try one of the insulating additives in that paint? A local friend found some similar ceramic spheres on Amazon or one of the local home big box stores (can't recall for sure which he said).

We live in the \Yukon and I did the roof of our old fleet with mobile home roof coating. a clear jelly like substance and hardened very well.

I did all the seams and screws, around edges etc and looks like the day I put it on..

No roof leaks at all and we are into our third summer with the paint on the roof..

Watson Lake

ntsqd,
Thanks for the response. Crazy looking camper!
What the heck is that growth on top of his camper?
Is it an old car body? Is it used for the view, or sleeping or . . .?

That truck belongs to a fellow on Expedition Portal. Joaquin Suave I think. IRC that is a Studebaker used as an atrium. The truck looks like an old 4x4 tree trimmer truck. But suppossedly it was built for a GOV agency that never used it. Who knows? Then he got it and went to work. He has lots of talent and the tools to work on big stuff.

There are some write ups over there about the insulating beads in paint. Lotsa positive input about that.

I think Rustoleim paint has a different name in Canada but I can't remember what it is.

It is Joaquin's truck and it is a Stude greenhouse and front grill up there. Called "Casa Azul". The greenhouse creates headroom over the bed. Somewhere on his page there's a pic of it before he modified the box. Having been inside it, it never was a tree trimmer truck.

I need to ask him how the paint is working out longer term. When I first saw it he had me lay my hand on the painted surface and after having been in the sun all day it was cool to the touch in the mid-afternoon.

Finally done. Re-caulked the edges and re-did all screws with lap sealant caulking. 2 paints of Tremclad enamel (Canadian version of Rustoleum). I have field tested for two very rainy weekends and no more roof leaks. Hooray!

Now, to address the leaking sidewall seams...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 291

Back
Top Bottom