Painting exterior wood- 01 Hawk - Glidden oil-based paint?

Old Crow

Searching....
I've been sanding down the paint on the exterior wood on my Hawk in preparation for painting. I've done searches on WTW and see recommendations for Glidden Porch and Floor Polyurethane Oil Paint. However, that raises several questions.....

1. My local Home Depot doesn't have it and can't get it. I see it on the online HD website but that also says it's not available in my area and a chat with customer service confirms I can't get it locally or via an online order. I assume this has to do with my state's laws regarding volatile organic compounds. Anyone have any insight on this?

2. That paint is an oil-based paint and my Hawk has latex paint. I've always thought oil-over-latex to be a no-no. I did find articles saying you could do it if you isolate the two paint types with two coats of a high-adhesion acrylic primer but even then it's not recommended for exterior paint. What am I missing?

-OC

When I purchased my FWC in 2014, the FWC paint recipe at that time was Frazee Royal Supreme (base) and a mildew additive...

Thanks for the info, SB_Surf.

A search for that paint takes me to Sherwin-Williams, apparently because Sherwin-Williams bought U.S. and Canadian divisions of Frazee's parent company, Comex, in 2012 (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/sherwin-williams_buys_consorci.html )

My local Sherwin-Williams tells me they can't get Frazee paints and I've not found an online source (though perhaps I could contact FWC)

Given that I don't know if that paint was used for my 2001 and that brands.sherwin-williams.com/frazee/
says Frazee paints are formulated for the Southwest US, I'll probably go with something like the Glidden Premium Exterior, a 100% acrylic, largely because of this:

http://articles.courant.com/2012-06-16/business/hc-ls-consumer-reports-paints-20120616_1_semitransparent-stains-semigloss-glidden-s-premium

The old guy that runs the paint dept at the ace hardware down the street recommended their Royal porch and floor paint, said it was very durable(I also added a biocide). Its been 2 years since I painted the camper and I just removed the camper, 1st time since the paint job ,it still looks good, no mildew either.

I just painted my FWC Eagle. Home Depot Glidden Latex paint. I don't remember the color but it was very, very close. I posted the color about 3 weeks ago if you search you'll find it.

Use roll on truck bed liner from an auto parts store. Will cost $70-$100 for a gallon. Sticks to anything, waterproof, wears great and your camper won't slide on the truck as easily. The only way to go.

CWD

Yup, I'd recommend some bedliner, or two-part epoxy. You'd have to sand the original paint down well though to get the majority off.

I'll be using two-part polymide epoxy for mine when I get to that stage of the rebuild. I own a sandblasting/technical coatings company and for my money, a good epoxy or decent bedliner system beats any oil or latex based system hands down.

The downside is slightly more expense and a little harder to find.

Colorado CJ is absolutely correct. I too have been involved in high tech coatings for over 30 years and generally speaking retail hardware or paint stores simply do not sell or even know about this stuff. I still like the bedliner because I think it has better UV properties even if that may not matter for this application.

CWD

Yup, CWD is right. If you are worried about UV (I'm not as the camper will mostly live on my truck when finished), definitely go with the bedliner. It is very UV resistant. THe Polymide Epoxies aren't too UV resistant, they will chalk if left to UV exposure. It is just a surface/cosmetic problem and doesn't really affect the coatings though.

I ended up going with the Glidden Premium Satin Exterior (GL6911) tinted "Cool Metalwork" (the color recommended by kmcintyre above) over Glidden Gripper primer (GPG0000) tinted gray by the Home Depot paint desk. In fact, I'm between topcoats as I write this.

The technical data sheets for them are at https://www.gliddenprofessional.com/datasheets/entds/gl6911.aspx and https://www.gliddenprofessional.com/datasheets/entds/gpg-0090.aspx, respectively.

To my eye the color is a bit lighter than the original factory paint (whatever that was) but I like it!

The paint appears flat(ish) as you walk up on it but you see a sheen if you view off to the side a bit. I tried to capture that in the photo but it's pretty subtle.

Attachments

• HawkPaint.jpg
    HawkPaint.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 161
I'm glad it worked out. I really like mine and that was the paint, color that ATC recommended. I like how easy it was to put on and clean up and a gallon will last a long time. I did the sides and bottom with about 2-3 coats and still have at least half a gallon left.

I just finished repainting mine, using Sherwin Williams oil-based enamel color 7075. It's a dead ringer for the original paint on my mid-90's Hawk.

IMG_3593.jpg IMG_3592.jpg

"In progress" and "after" photo of the starboard side:

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

Port side:

IMG_3532 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom