Peek-a-Boo Arch

Jon&Sue_DeArman

After driving the White Rim Road, Cathedral Valley Trail and Big Beef Road; Sue & I drove the 98 mile Burr Trail in Capital Reef National Park last month. We shot around 2000 pictures each, so we have just started post processing. Attached is a highly adjusted image of us coming out of a side canyon under Peek-a-Boo Arch.

Attachments

• PeekABooCanyon2.jpg
    PeekABooCanyon2.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 745
After driving the White Rim Road, Cathedral Valley Trail and Big Beef Road; Sue & I drove the 98 mile Burr Trail in Capital Reef National Park last month. We shot around 2000 pictures each, so we have just started post processing. Attached is a highly adjusted image of us coming out of a side canyon under Peek-a-Boo Arch.

Cool! Looks like you have the "painterly" setting (or equivalent) turned way up on that one...
biggrin.gif

HDR?

Cool! Looks like you have the "painterly" setting (or equivalent) turned way up on that one...
biggrin.gif

Looking at those colors makes me feel like I just ate some funny mushrooms. Beautiful, though.

Awesome picture. Love that sky. Looking forward to seeing more....but probably not quite 2000 of them!

thanks for sharing your adventure!

I have a Photoshop Plug-in called Topaz4 that takes images and makes posterized adjustments like this of our truck along the White Rim Trail.

Attachments

• RimmingIt2.jpg
    RimmingIt2.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 493
Attached is a highly adjusted image of us coming out of a side canyon under Peek-a-Boo Arch.

Highly adjusted images? They don't look adjusted to me.

I have decided just to clear out the negative crap posted here by one particular member. It's a great thread and I enjoy the photos. Carry on!

I have decided just to clear out the negative crap posted here by one particular member. It's a great thread and I enjoy the photos. Carry on!

Thank you for doing that. After reading what was previously here I was dissapointed to say the least. I'm with you, I enjoy all the creative images. Keep them comming.

Bummer, I put a lot of thought into what I wrote.....and I do mean a lot, because it matters to more and more people every day, so I thought it might just matter here.
I am not the only person in the industry that is concerned about this trend of fake photos, one of my project sponsors is too, The Library of Congress in Washington DC.

Enjoy your travels in the real world, sorry for the hassel guys, I doubt I am
coming back to the forum.

Bummer, I put a lot of thought into what I wrote.....and I do mean a lot, because it matters to more and more people every day, so I thought it might just matter here.
I am not the only person in the industry that is concerned about this trend of fake photos, one of my project sponsors is too, The Library of Congress in Washington DC.

Enjoy your travels in the real world, sorry for the hassel guys, I doubt I am
coming back to the forum.

Seems to me that criticism of photography -- especially an LOC-sponsored photography crusade -- belongs in a photography forum, not a truck camper forum.

1st let me say; I missed Kodachrome's post about my Peek-a-Boo image. 2nd, as an Underwater Photographer for over 35 years, I know how to take criticism; I usually ignore it. However, In Kodachrome's case, I checked his website gallery and he is an excellent Photographer and anything meaningful he had to say would definitely be taken under consideration. In addition, I have talked to Kodachrome before and he was a huge help to me with a problem; and probably to many other people on this forum. So the rest of you weigh-in and don't let him go.

As for my Image; I am proud of my FWC and photograph it much more frequently than my wife feels is necessary. After a month 4-wheeling in the Canyons, I wanted to post a couple of initial photos portraying my Rig in a different manner than is usually shown here. But to appease the masses, here are the real photos.

Jon & Sue DeArman

Attachments

• RimmingIt.jpg
    RimmingIt.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 271
:D Just a comment. I did not read the alleged negative comments, but I do hope that we don't lose good members due to strong 'opinions'. I am also an ameteur photographer and have heard the arguments prod and con regarding enhanced photography for years (it was possible to do that stuff in the darkroom too).

I personally believe there's a place for both...but I also believe that if you are going to enhance photography, it should be stated as such. In the case of the Peek-a-boo arch, I would say that there was no need to advertise that it was enhanced because it was way too obvious. I LOVED that picture not because it was excitingly 'real' but because it blew the elements of what is really cool about that region to the limits and created sort of a 'imagined' space. I put that photo on the wall in my office the day after it was posted!

I think Kodochrome is correct.....like the rest of the world, which is all going crazy these days with extremism, let's all take a deep breath, and let the tolerance for varying views and opinions flow, and get back to talking camping, trucks and FWC's!

Chris

I also believe that if you are going to enhance photography, it should be stated as such. In the case of the Peek-a-boo arch, I would say that there was no need to advertise that it was enhanced because it was way too obvious.

get back to talking camping, trucks and FWC's!

And not only was it way obvious that it was modified, the OP stated that fact in the post: "Attached is a highly adjusted image..."

My point in my previous entry was that a post focusing on the merits of tweaked photos vs unmodified photos seems way off-topic in a thread about FWC travels in Utah...and it's off-topic for a forum about truck campers. IMHO, of course...but I'm a newbie, so what do I know.
tongue.gif

I think Kodochrome is correct.....like the rest of the world, which is all going crazy these days with extremism, let's all take a deep breath, and let the tolerance for varying views and opinions flow, and get back to talking camping, trucks and FWC's!

There's a difference between differing viewpoints and just plain rudeness and I'm not going to tolerate the latter.

Back
Top Bottom