Perazzo Meadows and Mt Lola

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
Once again, I have to say it. The FWC provides a platform to get away.
We're perfecting the art of leaving after work Friday and returning on Sunday.
Two nights and two days away make for a happy return to work on Monday. :)

Mt Lola is our local highpoint. It's not much by high Sierra standards, but the views are still awesome. You can see Lassen to the north and Heavenly (looking across hidden Tahoe) to the south. It's fun for us to connect the dots by taking in a number of high points. SR even got into using her phone/GPS this time.

I wanted to camp near Perazzo Meadows to fish the Little Truckee and be near the trailhead for Mt Lola. Using google maps I spotted a possible road near Cold Stream Meadows. The road was there, but so narrow with brush I think only quads are running it. Oh well, a few more pinstripes! :unsure:

We got to the stream crossing, where the old log bridge had given in.

So we pitched camp right there. :)

The wildflowers were at their peak at 8,000'

Little elephant heads

Alpine Lily

Monkshood

I fished Cold Stream Meadows and caught a slew of colorful brookies on an ant pattern.

While a woodpecker looked on.

All for now. I'll write up the summit hike in one more installment.

I've been pretty busy, but I thought I would at least post a few night shots from our camp above Perazzo Mdws.

Some of those alternating bands of green had me wishing for the aurora phenomena that was recently captured by MarkBC and Craggyman. But I doubt it, this is looking roughly south towards Truckee, so probably just reflected light. The moon was first quarter and not yet risen. Fun and not too chilly for me to hang out with tripod and camera for a post dinner photo session.

More to come . . .

I've been pretty busy, but I thought I would at least post a few night shots from our camp above Perazzo Mdws.
Some of those alternating bands of green had me wishing for the aurora phenomena that was recently captured by MarkBC and Craggyman. But I doubt it, this is looking roughly south towards Truckee, so probably just reflected light. The moon was first quarter and not yet risen. Fun and not too chilly for me to hang out with tripod and camera for a post dinner photo session.

More to come . . .

Great stuff, Andy.

Our goal for this trip was to climb to the top of Mt. Lola, our county high point. There's a sweet trail that starts below in Perazzo Meadows and follows the Cold Stream Creek.
We noticed almost every other tree has a blaze, as if a pack of crazed scouts were turned loose with hatchets. ;)

This tree gave up.

The mountain is named after a famous gold rush era dancer and one time consort of the King of Bavaria, Lola Montez. She cut a swath of fame and infamy from Calcutta to Paris. How she came to live in podunk Grass Valley is beyond me. :oops:

Our day started with a cool saunter through Cold Stream Meadows.

Even in a dry year, there was a fair head of water, fed by springs from the volcanic soils.

Soon enough we crested the ridge between us and Independence Lake. The views began to open up.

An odd light colored basaltic knob caught our interest. I've read that Lola in an ancient volcano.

The requisite summit photo

We could see Lassen to the north and south across hidden Tahoe to Heavenly. To the west, I was amazed to pick out the Sutter Buttes, low in the haze, located near Yuba City.

Castle Peak, a familiar Hwy 80 landmark (and excellent ski peak) in the distance

The harsh conditions on the exposed ridge favored low to the ground, tundra-like plant life.

Looking north, down 2600' to Perazzo Meadows.

It was a great day and nice celebration of my birthday. Some local wine and BBQ made for a tasty dinner back at our meadow camp.

Fin

Nice trip! Love the wind flagged trees and good looking eats. From your garden of course? Thanks for letting us tag along.

Back
Top Bottom