Personal interior

5 Speed

Advanced Member
One of the greatest things I did was to get the shell with the extended over cab bed and the thin sleeping pads. The pads felt the same, just the thicker pad was thicker. I can always keep both my bags up in the bed plus two thick thermarests. Then I added an extension on the inside pull out rails and extended the pull out base. Now I can sleep side to side when I am camping with my wife, I don't pull out the bed if I am alone, but when I go camping and fishing with my brother, who wants to climb over a brother so I can just move the bed pads and sleep front to back! It is even longer than it is wide.

Attachments

• 9EAW9713.jpg
    9EAW9713.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 973
5 speed:

Wow, nice interior. Please do tell us more about it and add some more pics. Really nice what you have done.
I am right now designing and building my hawk shell insides. Simple is good. I am taking it out on a run this weekend. will see how it works and redesign. Will try to get some pics when I figure out how to get them in these messages.

Thanks!

Dave in seattle

5 Speed,

Thanks for your posting. I'm in the begininng stages of putting my Grandby back together after extending 4" to the bottom of my extended overhang (the camper was built for a Super Duty Ford, now on a GMC) I was seriously thinking of extending my pull out to allow my wife and I to sleep front to back instead of side to side (she has a tendency to fall out of bed! Ouch!). I'm with Davinski, post more photos and let us know what you did!

Rick

Attachments

• u.jpg
    u.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 698
  • v.jpg
    v.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 724
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 698
  • w.jpg
    w.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 721
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 686
Rebuild...

Wow, Rick. You are an ambitious kinda fella. Nice work! It looks like it is going to be top-shelf when you are done. Keep up the photos as you go.
Brian

Great Interior

I am thinking about picking up an old fleet model and gutting it for a custom interior. I like what you have done. More pictures and info would be great.

5 Speed,

Nice job. I think we're going with a shell as well. What is the size of yours? It looks quite small from front window back to the door. Or is that just the camera angle.

Jay

We started with the Hawk shell with the extended bed. I think we camped with it for 6 months with just Costco folding top crates before I got exactlly how we wanted to do the interior. Doing a lot of camping during the warmer months I don't like the idea of always having to cook inside so we got a coleman two burner and cooking inside or outside is always an option. We also have a Zodi pump shower that just sits on top of the stove for hot water. We have two big dogs that always go camping with us so keeping them out of the front of the 2000 Tundra AC cab was a priority. With the sliding windows a boot keeps the back cool or warm depending on the time of the year. I have a 2 foot platform going across the front of the shell with an additional 2 foot extension that is removable but this makes large platform for the dogs to stay on and it makes getting into bed no problem. I have also slept guests on the lower level with a camping pad but it put the dogs up top. The 1/2 of the top that can come off and turned around to cover the storage is possible. Having camped out of the back of a truck for quite a while we were used to using the crates for cloths and stuff for storage so the platform will cover 5 large crates with the folding lids with two large underbed boxes on top of the crates. We lived out of the camper for 4 months on a trip to Alaska so I can say that storage wasn't a problem. I will add some pictures and more details later. I will say that with the large platform taking up some of the interior looks like the room is less but I almost never remove it. Note the hinged cabnet on the top of the counter in picture 2 & 3. This allows the counter to have a lot more room and I was able to keep it at a good cooking height. It just hinges up when I pop up.

Attachments

• 9EAW9711.jpg
    9EAW9711.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 923
  • 9EAW9710.jpg
    9EAW9710.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 751
  • 9EAW9713.jpg
    9EAW9713.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 747
  • 9EAW9709.jpg
    9EAW9709.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 724
Chris,
Wow what an inspiration. Beautiful work! Are you in Ventura County? I see you attended Brooks. I'd love to come see your camper. I agree about the cook top. We never cook inside. If we needed to the Coleman and venting will solve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom