Phase 1 Complete

Timothy McGowen

Took delivery of my truck. Now I have to wait until June for the Hawk to be delivered.

Details:

2016 F150 SuperCab 4X4
6.5 foot bed
2.7 L Ecoboost engine
2.7 L payload package (trailer tow package also required)
501A Lariat interior
1899 pound payload as built
full

Do you plan on adding Firestone Ride Rite airbags, or are you going to wait until you get the camper to see how it rides.?

I have the same payload with my GMC, reg cab 2WD. I had to add the bags, but now it sits absolutely perfect.

I've weighed my truck a number of times and I'm within my payload and I feel we bring too much stuff :).

I know a lot of members of this forum suggest 1 tonne, 6.5L, 4.10:1, I however think you will be extremely happy with your setup.

Your truck is very nice. I look forward to seeing the camper on it.

Congrats.

Congrats on the truck. I went with the Chevy heavy half ton. I did add some airbags for a little more firmness in the ride. You'll be fine with the F150.

Mike

Bill D said:
Do you plan on adding Firestone Ride Rite airbags, or are you going to wait until you get the camper to see how it rides.?
I'm going to put the camper on first and see how it goes. I think its going to come out just about right with the payload package I had them add at the factory.

I will keep you all informed. Camper due in June.

Timothy McGowen said:
I'm going to put the camper on first and see how it goes. I think its going to come out just about right with the payload package I had them add at the factory.

I will keep you all informed. Camper due in June.
Just a tip.
Measure your wheel well height now without the camper on it, before you forget.
Then measure the height again once you load the camper.

When I picked the camper up, I didn't have bags at the time, I had to duct tape my headlights to get home.
The were quite high. It was unbelievable how much of the headlight I actually had to cover. I hope you have a way of adjusting your headlights, if you are going to go without bags.

I like the proud stance that I can maintain with the bags: empty, carrying the camper or towing the trailer.
It also puts substantially less strain on the leaf springs seeing the load is primarily being transferred from the frame to the axle.
The ride is extremely smooth. I actually prefer the way the truck rides with the camper vs. empty.

If you do decide to get the bags later, you will know exactly how much to fill each side, do to that fact that you measured your wheel well height empty. Make sure you have you bags set up independently. It's no more work and you can adjust for an uneven load.

BTW Tim, I'm not into adding unnecessary items. I know on my GMC it was necessary. Perhaps your Ford will be a different story.

I think I got my bags for about $350 CDN and I installed them myself in about 2 hours (working at a snails pace). It was an easy job and required about 3 wrenches, a utility knife and a drill.

Nice, got close to that a year ago. Really hard to get F150 super cabs then, settled on the F250:) Turned out F250 super cabs were nearly as difficult to find. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom